Bugatti Veyron v. McLaren SLR drag race

Feb 10, 2000
or they may not! :p

The race is here.

It's interesting to see the Veyron against another hypercar (particularly the McLaren, which is arguably has more in common with the Veyron than the others, in that it is an automatic-equipped luxury/GT car as opposed to a track-oriented machine like a CGT or Enzo). It helps you get a sense of just how blistering the speed of the Veyron really is. I still don't find it lovely, but you can't really deny the crazy speed.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I love the comments, lol

"That's not a MacLaren!"
"That just went off the bullsh*t meter"

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
I love the comments, lol

"That's not a MacLaren!"
"That just went off the bullsh*t meter"

The latter comment was in response to someone saying his Civic was faster than either car.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
quad turbo W16 with AWD vs. a supercharged, RWD V8? no surprise there. sometimes, brute force (and grip) is enough :p

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Blacch I was expecting a McLaren F1, which would give it a run for it's money depending on the driver mod.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra
Blacch I was expecting a McLaren F1, which would give it a run for it's money depending on the driver mod.

No, it wouldn't. It would take an act of God to make that race competitive.

The Veyron will reach 200 MPH faster than an F1, even if the F1 starts at 120 MPH and the Veyron from a dead stop (this is definitely the most amazing stat I have read about the Veyron, which I don't find especially appealing, notwithstanding its insane pace). Long story short, the Veyron is MUCH faster.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The only fair match would be a Veyron and a Hennessey Viper, perhaps (although the Bugatti will have a lot easier time putting that power to the pavement).

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
The only fair match would be a Veyron and a Hennessey Viper, perhaps (although the Bugatti will have a lot easier time putting that power to the pavement).

I don't think that would be much of a matchup - the Veyron would pull out smoothly while the Hennessey spun its giant rear tires into a huge yellow cloud. A Caparo T1 should be able to match up to a Veyron in a drag race, and will almost certainly manhandle it on a track (at least one without 200 MPH+ straightaways).

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: DonVito

The Veyron will reach 200 MPH faster than an F1, even if the F1 starts at 120 MPH and the Veyron from a dead stop (this is definitely the most amazing stat I have read about the Veyron, which I don't find especially appealing, notwithstanding its insane pace). Long story short, the Veyron is MUCH faster.

A Mclaren F1 GTR will do 0-60 in 2.9, a veyron is 2.7.

In fact the Ferrari FFX is up there to.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

A McLaren F1 is almost at the antique classic car collector status.

Feb 10, 2000

True, but neither of those is a street-legal car, at least in the US (admittedly that's a bit of a quibble in a theoretical race of insanely rare expensive cars like these), and the F1 GTR would be much tricker to launch than a Veyron. I would be interested to see the race, in any event.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

apparently lingenfelter TT vettes have reached 60 in under 2s, although i don't know where/when/how that was recorded.

2002 Chevrolet Corvette (Lingenfelter 427 twin turbo) 1.97 9.24 (0-60, 1/4mile)

from albeedigital.com

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

apparently lingenfelter TT vettes have reached 60 in under 2s, although i don't know where/when/how that was recorded.

from albeedigital.com

Hmm - I assume that would have to be on enormous slicks, but even then it sounds implausibly quick.

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
That was... that was insane. Intellectually, I knew the Bugatti was fast, but the difference in speed between those two cars was disproportionate. Felt like a knife to gun fight type of race, to be honest. Very impressive.

While I don't doubt that there will be cars that will be faster than the Veyron, I'm intrigued to see cars that will be faster than the Veyron while featuring any significant level of creature comforts, which the Comparo T1 that people are talking about (at least according to my initial impression) simply doesn't offer.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003

0-60 times aren't what matter though. When you're talking about hyper-cars, 0-150/175/200 are the benchmark, and the Bugatti should beat all comers handily.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Yea there are plenty of cars that can beat it. But not many that offer comforts. Take a top fuel dragster which accelerates from 0 to 100 mph in less than 0.8 seconds and 1/4 mile time of 4.5 sec at 320mph. What was the ET of the Veyron anyway? (im on dialup)

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004

0-60 times aren't what matter though. When you're talking about hyper-cars, 0-150/175/200 are the benchmark, and the Bugatti should beat all comers handily.

Didn't lingenfeltier just break a record with a vette. It was like 0-226 in one mile.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/Li...felter2006ZO6TTBGB.htm

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

from albeedigital.com

It was recorded by C&D i believe. They raced it against a Blue Angel fighter...

They had to launch it in 3rd gear with slicks.

I'd love to see the Ultima GTR run with the Veyron...

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: crazySOB297

Didn't lingenfeltier just break a record with a vette. It was like 0-226 in one mile.

Has Bugatti even tried for that record? An 800HP RWD ZO6 is not going to beat a 1000HP AWD Bugatti in a drag race.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: crazySOB297

Has Bugatti even tried for that record? An 800HP RWD ZO6 is not going to beat a 1000HP AWD Bugatti in a drag race.

Weight.