Bugatti Veyron -- Top Speed Run

JasonSix78

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2005
Yeah, it's Top Gear. Too bad they wouldn't let the Stig take it on a hot lap of the Top Gear test track. :(

-Jason

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: JasonSix78
Yeah, it's Top Gear. Too bad they wouldn't let the Stig take it on a hot lap of the Top Gear test track. :(

-Jason

Or me.......

canadageek

Dec 28, 2004
y'know, I've always wondered just why VW is so reluctant to allow anyone to do a lap in it..i mean, even if it doesn't knock the Koenigsegg off the top, we all know its a GT car, not a track car...

WHY VW?! WHY?!

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: canadageek
y'know, I've always wondered just why VW is so reluctant to allow anyone to do a lap in it..i mean, even if it doesn't knock the Koenigsegg off the top, we all know its a GT car, not a track car...

WHY VW?! WHY?!

because it costs more than 5 koenigseggs?

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: halik

WHY VW?! WHY?!

When VW made the Veyron they did not give a flying sh!t about the price. Although they did have to price it that high in order to minimize their enormous losses by a little. Including R&D money, in order to break even, I'd imagine they would have had to price the Veyron around 3 million.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: mariok2006

WHY VW?! WHY?!

When VW made the Veyron they did not give a flying sh!t about the price. Although they did have to price it that high in order to minimize their enormous losses by a little. Including R&D money, in order to break even, I'd imagine they would have had to price the Veyron around 3 million.

if you divide the planned production number by the total project costs, it is reckoned that each car costs VW 5 million euros. they sell it for around 1 million euros

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
Originally posted by: mariok2006

WHY VW?! WHY?!

if you divide the planned production number by the total project costs, it is reckoned that each car costs VW 5 million euros. they sell it for around 1 million euros

I read that somewhere, but i could not remember a number. Still ridiculous and shows that they were in it for pure engineering achievement and not profit.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: rivan
That's fast, but is it furious? :p

hows this for furious then

fifth gear, (TG's poor rival) did a 200mph project. they purchased a lotus Esprit V8 turbo and tuned it up to break 200.

they failed, but as back up they got 2 tuned cars that could break 200. a pretty new corolla and a ropey old ford sierra sapphire cosworth in a mucky white colour.

the guy in the cosworth did his run, with no safety kit on, a standard seat belt and he held the wheel with just one hand as his sierra topped 208mph on the run way. the steering wheel was all over the place. that man was crazy.... the rest of them had crash hats and fire proof overalls on. this guy had a t-shirt and a seat belt lol and they aired it too. reckless or what :p

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: JasonSix78

-Jason

I kinda get a feeling that the guy driving that car up to 250+ MPH is the STIG. If you watch the way he drives the car and picture him in a full face helmet and shut him up, he actully has the body motions you see the stig doing at times. Also why else would they trust him to take that car in the first place, and go that fast.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
Originally posted by: rivan
That's fast, but is it furious? :p

hows this for furious then

fifth gear, (TG's poor rival) did a 200mph project. they purchased a lotus Esprit V8 turbo and tuned it up to break 200.

they failed, but as back up they got 2 tuned cars that could break 200. a pretty new corolla and a ropey old ford sierra sapphire cosworth in a mucky white colour.

the guy in the cosworth did his run, with no safety kit on, a standard seat belt and he held the wheel with just one hand as his sierra topped 208mph on the run way. the steering wheel was all over the place. that man was crazy.... the rest of them had crash hats and fire proof overalls on. this guy had a t-shirt and a seat belt lol and they aired it too. reckless or what :p

He only qualifies if he's bald, with tribal tattoos on his head :p

Personally, I think the Veyron needs a better paint job... something like this, perhaps with some purple flames? Green and purple go great together on cars. OOH, and with heavy metal flake! Yeah!