BSOD Random [Dumps included]

Calby

Mar 19, 2017
Hi,
I have a new laptop it's a Lenovo Thinkpad T470s and I did get my first BSOD 2017-03-27 and my second yesterday (2017-04-02) so two in less then a week.
I'm starting to think it's something wrong with the RAM or mobo, but you might find something else as I can't see anything in the dumps that are related to RAM or the mobo.

My system information:
Lenovo ThinkPad T470s ( 20GB DDR4 2133MHz / 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe / i5-7200U @ 2.5 GHz (Turbo 3.1 GHz) / Intel HD 620 (Dedicated 512MB of RAM to it))

Windows 10 Pro x64

First BSOD, Download dumpfile here: (sorry for the big size 100MB I did not change to mini dumps when this did happen)
Download the dump file here

The BSOD state that BugCheck 9F / DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE /

I did not do anything really I did just run Intel Burn Test and it did crash after some time, I did run Intel Burn test before and also after the crash at longer time but I could not reproduce the issue - I did also try different "sizes" the standard, high and very high test I did let it run for 20-30 passes without any issue.
As far as I can tell from the dump file it blames the Intel HD driver (graphic one) and also PCI.sys that are related to the pcie buss.
I did run Furumark for 3h and no issue, I did also never get this BSOD again but I have replaced my NVME drive for the 960 500GB after the BSOD.
I don't know I think it maybe was because of a faulty NVME drive at first, but now I did get a second BSOD then it's a little fishy.

Here is the second one that was dated 2017-04-02, this one is only 1MB:
Download the second one here

NOTE: I did not have the external HDD connected when the first BSOD did happen!

The second one did happen when I was in the disk manager to shrink the partition on my external HDD connected trough USB 3.
I did delete one partition and I did choose to extend the other one to fill the hole disk so littlery when I did click on the "finish" button the BSOD did happen.
After the reboot the partition was fine and it was fixed and I did try to reproduce the issue but I could not do it.

But when I did look in Event Viewer I did find this error messages that did happen 4 minutes before the BSOD, the driver E: is my external HDD.
A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume E:.

The exact nature of the corruption is unknown. The file system structures need to be scanned and fixed offline.
Volume E: (\Device\HarddiskVolume6) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk. Please run "CHKDSK /F" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

So I'm thinking that this BSOD maybe was because of the corruption on my external HDD as it did happen when I was changing the partitions on it and also according to Event Viewer it was something wrong with it.

According to the BSOD ( I think, I'm not good to read this dumps) it was caused because of ntoskrnl.exe and volmgr.sys.
And the hole BSOD was a Bug 0x50 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

And it's when i googling because of some memory issue, and memory in this case can bee RAM, NVME or external HDD.

So do you think this issue is because of the external HDD?

The trouble shooting that I have been doing.
Furumark for 3h no issue.
Prime95 for about 10h no issue
Intel Burn test for about 10h no issue (20 passes in medium, high, very high etc.)
Memtest86 for 13h no issue
Been running Lenovos hardware test, no issue
Been running Intel Diagnostic test, no issue

Updated all of the drivers on Lenovos webpage
Re-installed a clean version of Windows 10.

Now Driver Verifier are running on the computer and I'll let it run for 24h, so far no issues and it has been running for 12h.

Part replaced?
Yes, after the first BSOD I did update my Samsung 960 EVO 250GB to a 960 EVO 500GB.
After that I have not been seeing that kind of BSOD but I did get a new one as you can see.

So what do you think? Is this two BSOD related as both can bee because of RAM as the Intel HD is sharing 512MB of the RAM as it's GPU memory and the second BSOD is also indicating on the memory aldo an other issue but still?
Or was I just in bad luck that I did have a faulty NVME drive at first and then a faulty external HDD?

I can change my 16GB RAM stick to a 4GB RAM stick that I have and run memtest86 over the weekend if that 'll help any?
I still have 4GB integrated (Solid) on the motherboard.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Does device manager show any exclamation points? Also look in the Reliability History see what shows there, might be better to understand info there

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
How does it run with stock hardware? From looking at the specs for this model, it looks like you have done some upgrades. Which would normally be fine, but in this instance you want to find a baseline of what might be causing your issue.

If you are still seeing the failures on default hardware, your next step should be to contact Lenovo.

Calby

Mar 19, 2017
How does it run with stock hardware? From looking at the specs for this model, it looks like you have done some upgrades. Which would normally be fine, but in this instance you want to find a baseline of what might be causing your issue.

If you are still seeing the failures on default hardware, your next step should be to contact Lenovo.

Yes, I have change the nvme drive and also the RAM.
As I have tried two different NVME drivers I don't think it's it, but it could bee of course but I don't see how two different drivers could cause BSOD, one I do understand but two.
I'll change back the RAM tomorrow and see if that's better.

I have been running the computer now for 24h without any kind of issue, so it could bee that the second BSOD was because of the external harddrive.
Or if it's "strange" BSOD randomly it could bee RAM.

Last edited:

Calby

Mar 19, 2017
I think I got it, The stock ram was 2400mhz cl17

I did install 2133mhz cl15 .

So I have ordered a new ram stick with the same spec as the stock one.