Question BSOD on my son's new PC we built

Jun 23, 2004
I built my son a PC which we completed around February. It worked fine for a few months but it came up with a BSOD and I was unable to restore it. I ended up wiping the drive and starting over with a fresh install of Win10 home. I loaded the win install on a usb drive and attempted to reinstall numerous times. I keep getting BSOD during the install process and I actually made it into windows once but it went BSOD before I could do anything. I had a spare ssd drive so I switched out the drive but got the same results. I am assuming this is a hardware issue but I'm not sure what to try. I don't have any other spare parts that are compatible.
I also ran a pre-boot memtest86 program and it passed the test. I have tried removing a stick of ram and swapping the ram around but it still went to BSOD. My temps are showing 35-40 in the bios. Can get in the bios with no problems and I tried flashing to the latest update.

The BSOD I have seen are the one that starts with WHEA and I also got one that said something about memory.
Any help is appreciated.

Here is my hardware:
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
MB - B55-M-DS3H
GPU - XLR8 Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4gB
Power Supply - EVGA W1 Series 600w
Case - Montech Air X ARGB
Memory - Corsair 8gb 3600 rgb
HD - patriot 240 gb ssd or crucial 500gb nvme

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Do not OC the ram or the pc. Is the ram on the QVL?
What brand is the MB?

How to fix WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Windows 10
If you receive a blue screen error (also known as a stop code), it means that your PC has shut down suddenly to protect itself from data loss. If you see the text “WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR,” it means that a hardware error has occurred. To fix it, try the following:
Check for Windows updates

I know this doesn't help much.............

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Most common: RAM and possibly PSU, if PSU is flaky.

Less likely but possible: Mobo or CPU.

Maybe GPU, but that would be fairly unusual, I think. Especially to cause a BSOD during OS installation off of USB. Probably not the GPU.

A couple of questions, what is the rating for that RAM, what is the voltage, and is it "Ryzen compatible"?

If the RAM is designed to run with a higher voltage (often 1.35V rather than 1.2V for DDR4) because it's "overclocked" RAM (XMP-rated RAM is overclocked RAM), then sometimes, the RAM may not function properly @ 1.2V, even at default 2133 speed. Rare, but it can happen. At least make sure DRAM voltage is 1.35V, and then try setting DRAM speed to 2133 or 2400 to start with, and see if the problems go away.

Can also look under the CPU performance options, and disable PBO and CPB (Core Performance Boost), those will disable the turbo feature, and run @ TDP. That's to test if your CPU is "badly binned", and unstable at higher boost clocks/voltages.

Also, that's a fairly bottom-of-the-barrel (but still branded!) PSU, which may not be 100% stable, if my personal experience with EVGA "white" PSUs is any indication. I had one of those $30 EVGA "white" 600W PSUs from BestBuy fail on me fairly rapidly, I was not overloading it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Yup, setting the ram to low speed and overvolted for the JEDEC profile is the next step. Might even have to loosen timings to get it solid, and confirm it is the culprit. At which point it is RMA time. I have not had a cheap kit of 3600MHz be rock solid with any of the Ryzen 3600s I've had without manual tuning. Usually 3466 is about as far as it goes before you have to spend time on it. At least on every board and bios ver. I have used.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I agree with the advice above regarding the memory and also with turning off PBO and CBP in BIOS.

Did you reset the CMOS memory after upgrading the BIOS, followed by loading default settings?

If you can keep it running long enough, install Whocrashed and make sure Windows (in Advanced System settings, under the Advanced tab in the Startup and Recovery section) is set to write kernel crash dumps on system failure. Then, the next time it BSODs, you can hopefully boot it back up and have Whocrashed analyze the kernel dump files to get the full stop code(s).

There are several WHEA error codes, and not all of them have to do with memory so it would be helpful to know exactly which one(s) you are dealing with. If the system shuts off without writing any crash dumps, it might be an indication that you need to look at the PSU.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
In my experience, WHEA errors are generally CPU related. I have seen before occasional instances where a Ryzen 3600(X) would degrade overtime and become unstable at stock, causing BSODs.

Jun 23, 2004
I made the adjustments to the memory settings (1.35 volts at 2400) and I thought I was in business. I was able to install windows and actually booted up. Before I could do anything in windows I got another BSOD with a memory write error. I haven't had time to work on it this week but I am going to boot it tonight and get the exact error. If I can download whocrashed I will do that as well. Thanks for the replies.

legcramp

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Whenever I have issues with Ryzen systems (random BSOD, won't boot, power-up and no video output sometimes), it's usually the ram. I would swap to a new set of memory and see how that goes before doing anything else.

Jun 23, 2004
Still getting the BSOD after a few minutes of running windows. The stop code is memory management. Before I go by a new set of ram since I don't have any extras, I attached pics of the bios. Please let me know if it looks correct. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210815_144621.jpg
    20210815_144621.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210815_144613.jpg
    20210815_144613.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 8