BSOD 0x4e PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Jephph

Feb 11, 2006
Hey guys, getting this BSOD on a Dell Inspiron 580 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I'm testing the 8GB of ram with memetest right now. So far, 2 passes with no errors. I'll check drivers after that. Any specific ones I should be looking at? Should I just update all drivers and see if that fixes it? Thanks for any help.

Jephph

Feb 11, 2006
Here is the WhoCrashed Log:

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 2/16/2014 7:52:33 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0x9BC54, 0x0, 0x957D4)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 1/28/2014 11:53:30 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012814-22588-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0x80050031, 0x6F8, 0xFFFFF80002E86B80)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 1/2/2014 1:19:14 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\010214-21387-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0x3FFC4, 0x0, 0x49904)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

On Sun 10/27/2013 7:38:55 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102713-19484-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0x80050031, 0x6F8, 0xFFFFF80002ED7CE9)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.

On Wed 10/2/2013 9:48:22 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100213-46051-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75B50)
Bugcheck code: 0x6B (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the initialization of the Microsoft Windows operating system failed.

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
These particular crash dumps too dense and beyond my pay grade. Esp the CPU/OS/possible driver conflict references wherein the kernel failed to catch the trap (and so did not make The Olympics;)).

Any second, helpers who can make differential SENSE of all of this and provide further instructions.....will arrive.

Tho, I just see the two main ones in this thread are not on, so please be patient.

But my guess would be the "buggy drivers."

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I recognize the PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED which is caused by a corrupted Bootcat.cache file. The fix for that is simple, HOWEVER having that many separate errors suggest you may be having a hard drive going out. Possibly multiple bad sectors?

EDIT* I just looked up PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and that also points to hard drive file corruption. I would back up any data you need to if possible. Hook it to another PC and back up your files and then scan.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I recognize the PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED which is caused by a corrupted Bootcat.cache file. The fix for that is simple, HOWEVER having that many separate errors suggest you may be having a hard drive going out. Possibly multiple bad sectors?

EDIT* I just looked up PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and that also points to hard drive file corruption. I would back up any data you need to if possible. Hook it to another PC and back up your files and then scan.

Wow. HDD! Matt: re this: "Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you. ".......if he does that, will Whocrashed, the free one, yield a more accurate dump file?

maybe, he shouldn't even go there if his drive is going.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854946.aspx

This one too, most commonly indicates hardware failure! He has two mechanical drives, need to determine which might be going...if he ran the app in only one.....I guess that's it.

Not sure if he uses one as backup or not.

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Wow. HDD! Matt: re this: "Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you. ".......if he does that, will Whocrashed, the free one, yield a more accurate dump file?

maybe, he shouldn't even go there if his drive is going.

A corrupted file error is one thing, It happens. A delete, or file replace or sfc /scannow and you are good to go. Multiple corrupted file errors and that's a sign that you are in trouble.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
A corrupted file error is one thing, It happens. A delete, or file replace or sfc /scannow and you are good to go. Multiple corrupted file errors and that's a sign that you are in trouble.

Well as per my newly emerged bias....he has a better chance of saving his data with mechanicals than SSDs.

I still make note of hi not OEM OCZ components.

Jephph

Feb 11, 2006
Just for clarification... The system in my sig in not the same as the one I am troubleshooting.