BSEL Mod Questions

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
I was wondering whether you guys would recommend an ASRock Conroe1333 or the ASRock Wolfdale1333 for use with a BSEL mod on an E2180.

Also, what do you think I should use to BSEL mod the processor. Radioshack sells a conductive ink pen: http://www.radioshack.com/prod...+pen&parentPage=search

Others have mentioned other methods, but I don't know what they are exactly.

Thanks

Silversierra

Jan 25, 2005
I used "quick grid" rear window defogger repair paint. It worked well, but was kind of tedious to tape off the area and apply. I think I saw some guy cut a small piece of aluminum foil in a "V" shape and super glued the tip of the v to the empty area beside the pads on the cpu. FWIW

PolymerTim

Apr 29, 2002
I know very little about BSEL mods (other than that you short pins to change the settings), but I can tell you that using aluminum (especially foil) for any kind of electrical connection is a bad idea. Aluminum oxidizes to form alumina (a white powder) on its surface so resistance is higher than with many other metals. Of course resistance equals heat. I know you're working with low voltage, but its probably better to avoid aluminum foil anyway. I had a friend that tried to repair a power switch by sandwiching layers of aluminum foil between connectors. Lasted about half an hour before the switchbox caught fire. I guess thats what happens when you pass 110V through 20 layers of aluminum/alumina!

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
I didn't plan on using aluminum, but thx for letting me know. The pen writes silver. Somebody wrote a review for the pen, saying they used it successfully for an L5 mod on an AMD processor, which seems like it may be similar to the BSEL mod.

So when I get the processor, how do I know which pins to connect? Also, would I just write with the pen to connect the pins, and be done? People mentioned using tape to protect other pins or something or another, but I wasn't sure what they meant.

Thanks.

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006
TBH if you dont really have an idea of what you are going to be doing with your chip, id say dont do it at all. before you even buy anything make sure you know exactly what you are doing. maybe print out the diagram of waht pins you will be connecting just to be safe.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i think you shouldd just invest in a different board.

then you dont have to bsel mod, and you wont risk frying your board + cpu. :X

i thought you were talking about BSEL moding Clovers on LGA771. :X

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
Originally posted by: aigomorla
i think you shouldd just invest in a different board.

then you dont have to bsel mod, and you wont risk frying your board + cpu. :X

i thought you were talking about BSEL moding Clovers on LGA771. :X

I don't see what the big deal is. This is a motherboard that people have used BSEL mods with and it's worked for them. It doesn't seem all that difficult. I'm asking because I want to make sure that I have everything squared away before I go at this.

It looks like I would connect the pins that were connected on the images in these pages:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/228129-28-e4300
http://lancom.internetdsl.pl/Marek/Bsel/266.jpg

Apparently the circuitwriter pen works, since people on many different forums say it worked.

I'm just confused on the part about exactly how it should be applied in order to make sure that I don't screw up the processor. Could someone clear up the part about having to use tape to protect other pins?

Thanks

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
its just that doing hard mod to anything should be done with absolute care.

Anyhow i'll tell you what they mean about the tape. Basically you tape up everything except the area you want to draw on. That way theres no chance of ink leaking to the other pins.

You then allow it to dry and peal the tape off. This allows you to have a cleaner and finer line. The line will only draw as wide as you tape thats why.

Just make sure you wait til the paint drys a little b4 u peal. And dont wait until its completely dry because you'll peal the paint too if your unlucky.

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
Thanks for the help, but now that the IP35-E has dropped in price again, I think I might go for that, unless of course it goes out of stock, in which case I'd get back to this.

Hopefully this helps other people who want to do BSEL.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: quadomatic
Thanks for the help, but now that the IP35-E has dropped in price again, I think I might go for that, unless of course it goes out of stock, in which case I'd get back to this.

Hopefully this helps other people who want to do BSEL.

VERY GOOD CHOICE!

however the ip35 has a terrible vdroop so if you intend on overclocking this chip high, its a no go.

Also, the board doesnt like to give the cpu voltages higher then 1.45V Maybe it will be different for you because your dualcore. But on a quadcore, and a E6600, were getting the same reboot error.

:T

But if your not into high end overclocking this board should do all you need and some.

Wolfcastle

Apr 7, 2000
Hi, I have the same CPU/mobo combo and tried the BSEL mod. The BIOS post warned me that my CPU speed had increased, but on the post, the CPU speed hadn't increased at all. Did you increase the voltage as well? Thanks.

htne

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2001
Watek, congratulations on your overclock. Have you tested this for at least one hour with Prime95? In my experience, the E4500 is unlikely to be 100% stable at 11 x 266 = 2926 mhz on stock voltage.

mc9686

Sep 28, 2007
I tried the BSEL mod with the ASRock Conroe1333, using both a 2180 and a 430 Celeron. Both worked great !!!

Because "asynch" doesn't work as advertised on those boards, the cpus have more headroom than the boards will allow. However, even with default vcore, the 2180 is stable at 2850 MHz (as opposed to 3200 MHz @ 1.4v on my DS3L) and the 430 @ 3000 MHz (3400 MHz @ 1.4v on my DS3L).

I've used 3 of those boards have had zero problems. You do give up some OC capability, but it's great value for an onboard video scenario - like for the wife. Great bang for the buck with the mod. Just be sure to increase the VDDQ to high (chipset voltage).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Why would you even need a BSEL mod, for use with a Conroe1333 or a Wolfdale1333? I thought both of those boards supported "Hybrid Booster" and "Untied Overclocking" - FSB adjust and vcore adjust?
Shouldn't you just be able to dial up 333FSB in the BIOS and be done with it? This concerns me, I thought that you could, and I just ordered a Wolfdale1333. Guess I'll have to eat the restocking fee if I'm wrong about this.

mc9686

Sep 28, 2007
Valid question about why the mods are needed, with the prospect of "untied OC". Check out the reviews of both the Conroe and the Wolfdale versions:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16813157119

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16813157113

The reviews sum up my experiences - with and without the mod. If you can get to 266 fsb for "free", and start your BIOS overclock from that point, you end up with a mild overclock, as far as the boards concerned, but the desired substantial overclock for the chip - sweet deal.

Without the fsb mod, I found the pci bus would fail at 120-122, which does not yield much of an OC. With the mod, you can stay safely back at 112-115. This demonstrates the "untied" (Async) does not work. Forget about it and just work around it.

BTW, there is no vcore adjustment, that's why it helps to raise the VDDQ to get more voltage onto the board, or do the voltage mod to the chip. But for me, I was happy with the fsb mod only.

In spite of this "fault" - it's still a very good board with alot of potential, if you go after it.

dwcal

Jul 21, 2004
I want to try the BSEL mod on my E4300, but it's kinda a waste to spend 12 bucks on the defroster paint or pen. I did find copper tape at Fry's for $2.50 a roll which must be safer than aluminum foil. Can one of the SoCal people lend me their pen for five minutes, or do you want to get rid of it for say, half price?

Back in the day, I did another BSEL mod on a Coppermine Celeron 700. I couldn't OC on my Intel brand board, so I broke off the right BSEL pin and my Celeron 700 became a Celeron 1050. :)

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: quadomatic
I was wondering whether you guys would recommend an ASRock Conroe1333 or the ASRock Wolfdale1333 for use with a BSEL mod on an E2180.

Also, what do you think I should use to BSEL mod the processor. Radioshack sells a conductive ink pen: http://www.radioshack.com/prod...+pen&parentPage=search

Others have mentioned other methods, but I don't know what they are exactly.

Thanks

ive done it with the radio shack circuit pen. and it worked on an intel bradned board. so that should be fine.

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
Originally posted by: dwcal
I want to try the BSEL mod on my E4300, but it's kinda a waste to spend 12 bucks on the defroster paint or pen. I did find copper tape at Fry's for $2.50 a roll which must be safer than aluminum foil. Can one of the SoCal people lend me their pen for five minutes, or do you want to get rid of it for say, half price?

Back in the day, I did another BSEL mod on a Coppermine Celeron 700. I couldn't OC on my Intel brand board, so I broke off the right BSEL pin and my Celeron 700 became a Celeron 1050. :)

You can pick up Defogger Repair Paint for less than $10 at most any auto parts store. I really doubt that it is a waste of money to buy the paint, because you would be taking your E4300 from 1.8ghz to 2.4ghz with very little effort.

dwcal

Jul 21, 2004
I'll look around some more. Pep Boys had the defroster paint for 11 plus tax. No rush. The E4300 isn't my main system.

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
Originally posted by: dwcal
I'll look around some more. Pep Boys had the defroster paint for 11 plus tax. No rush. The E4300 isn't my main system.

Ah, IC. Napa Auto Parts I think has it for less than $10. I paid $10.something w/tax at Advanced Auto Parts for my defogger repair kit.