BSc in Computer science, whats the equivilent in the USA.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
well, there are several degrees.

i'm working on receiving a BFA degree in industrial design.

snoopdoug1

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2002
I got a BS and an MS in Comp Sci... no idea what kinda grading you're talking about though.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Doug3737
I got a BS and an MS in Comp Sci... no idea what kinda grading you're talking about though.

A 1st is basically the best kind of degree, it means you did well, then you get a 2-1, 2-2 etc, just like in high school you might get an A, B, C etc. Basically it's a way of representing how well you passed.

russell2002

May 16, 2005
Exactly, so in the US what grades of BS are their and any idea how they compare to the UK system.

I have a CV for a US company and want to provide them with the best info of my skills.

blahter

Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: russell2002
Exactly, so in the US what grades of BS are their and any idea how they compare to the UK system.

I have a CV for a US company and want to provide them with the best info of my skills.

If I understand correctly you're asking how something like a first-class upper etc. In the US they don't give out grades like that, the closest to what you would be talking about would be your GPA. 4=A,3=B,2=C etc.

statik213

Golden Member
Oct 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Lonyo

A 1st is basically the best kind of degree, it means you did well, then you get a 2-1, 2-2 etc, just like in high school you might get an A, B, C etc. Basically it's a way of representing how well you passed.

that's like graduating w/ Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, or Cum Laude..... me thinks...

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: statik213

that's like graduating w/ Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, or Cum Laude..... me thinks...

Usually when you graduate with the latin phrases, it means you did some kind of research while being an undergrad on top of the high gpa. If I remember correctly, you get a diploma with the high distinction if your gpa is 3.8 or above, distinction if it's 3.67 or above.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: ManSnake

Usually when you graduate with the latin phrases, it means you did some kind of research while being an undergrad on top of the high gpa. If I remember correctly, you get a diploma with the high distinction if your gpa is 3.8 or above, distinction if it's 3.67 or above.

Actually, summa cum laude is graduating in the top 5% of your class, magna 10, and cum 15%. At least in my neck of the woods......:)

statik213

Golden Member
Oct 31, 2004
at my school summa if gpa > 3.9, magna > 3.7 and cum laude > 3.5.
don't think it has anything to do w/ research.... but i'm sure each school has it's own scale.

snoopdoug1

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Whats a GPA ?

Grade point average. It's a way of giving you a number for all your grades.

A = 4 points
B = 3 points
C = 2 points
D = 1 point
F = 0 points

Add up all your grades, then divide by the number of classes you took. That's your GPA.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004

Research? How would they define what is and what isn't research, and then grade it on a scale?

Jon855

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2005
Whats a GPA ?

Grade point average. It's a way of giving you a number for all your grades.

A = 4 points
B = 3 points
C = 2 points
D = 1 point
F = 0 points

Add up all your grades, then divide by the number of classes you took. That's your GPA.

I'm in college and the GPA is weighted which means that the courses that you take are weighted 4Cr, 3Cr and so on forth. The higher the Cr count the more weight it carries. For instance.

Class 1 - 4 Credit [Max 16points]
Class 2 - 4 Credit [Max 16points]
Class 3 - 3 Credit [Max 12points]
Class 4 - 3 Credit [Max 12points]

GPA :
4=A
3=B
2=C
1=D
0=F

Class 1 - Grade of B = (3*4) = 12points
Class 2 - Grade of C = (2*4) = 8points
Class 3 - Grade of A = (4*3) = 12points
Class 4 - Grade of B = (3*3) = 9points

Total is at 41 points out of the max possible 56 points on a 4 point scale. You would be getting the C average rather than B as 41/56 = to 0.73214285714285714285714285714286

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe

Research? How would they define what is and what isn't research, and then grade it on a scale?

This is mainly for science and engineering. Basically you find a topic and has it approved by the department and do a research and write a paper under the guidance of a professor. You do this for term or two.