BRUTAL assessment of the GOP by Young College Republicans

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
...or it's possible that the justices nominated by republicans moved to the left. And with respect to the partial-birth abortion ban, very freaking far to the left.

In a country where the democrats are more to the right than the right wing of all other first world countries, your supposition makes no sense.

Last edited:

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
The only way that's likely to be true is if he has some women chained up in his basement or something.

Disturbingly, I don't view that as entirely impossible.

I think you might be on to something, as that would also explain his mind numbingly erroneous concept of "consent"...:hmm:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
You are the one making the claim so it is up to you to establish this fact.

Define "special evil" please.

How about the fact that rape has commonly been considered a capital crime?

Or how if there was an "epidemic" of say drunk marines punching each other there would likely not be congressional hearings.

Well, it is an invasion of body space, can transmit diseases, and can cause unwanted pregnancy. The same could not be said for a punch, hence the awful analogy.

So by that logic if a rapist uses a condom he should receive a lesser sentence right?

Are you referring to middle/right democrats? Eliminating no fault divorce to be replaced by what?

I was referring to people on this forum. You replace it with the at-fault divorce that preceded it, while correcting the problem of lawyers coaching their lie in court.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Isn't the far more likely answer that as as the court had more justices appointed by Republicans that it moved to the right?

Well except for the fact that it is really a minority of justices we are talking about (for example Souter).

So is it more likely that Bush I appointed a justice who wasn't that conservative or that the entire Republican Party moved to the right. Especially since there were a number of conservative justices that were appointed before the supposed "Republican leap to the right" that Souter could have sided with as opposed to the liberal justices that he actually did.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
You realize that until Obama's nominations the 'liberal' wing of the court was half made up of Republican appointed justices, right? They were initially conservatives, but as the court moved further and further to the right they became more associated with the 'liberal' wing.

The fact that Republican appointees are now considered liberal shows just how far the court has moved. With luck, Obama will get at least one and hopefully two more appointments to clear out some of the ultra-right.

You realize that my comments weren't specifically about the judges but specifically about a poster who in multiple threads has to come in and spread his/her propoganda that US liberals aren't liberal, they're US moderate, right?

As for Obamas judges/nominees, I think each should be given a straight up/down vote, no BS allowed. In fact I think it should be a law, one that can't be maneuvered around. POTUS nominates, they vote within the x days specified by law. Period. Done. We don't (or, try not to) run companies this way, we certainly shouldn't be trying to run Gov this way.

That has nothing to do with a certain someone trying to change the narrative though on liberals in the US. When we're talking US politics, liberals are liberals, they are The Left. Republicans are Republicans, they are The Right. Next the dude will be on here saying 234 isn't using Dicussion Club like Progressive 234 News. It's idiotic...just stop...

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Who gives a fuck about those upstarts... a few years in the ranks and they'll be 100% brainwashed into the group think.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
How about the fact that rape has commonly been considered a capital crime?

Or how if there was an "epidemic" of say drunk marines punching each other there would likely not be congressional hearings.

You completely skipped over the fact that I asked you to back up your claims of what "liberal sexual morality" is.

So by that logic if a rapist uses a condom he should receive a lesser sentence right?

First, the reason rape is considered worse than a punch is that it could last many minutes instead of seconds, it could cause internal/external damage, it occurs inside someone's body, it could carry stds or cause pregnancy... it also carries psychological damage in terms of ear.

If a rapist uses a condom, it has the potential to be not as bad, but the rest remains.

Perhaps you should ask someone to use a strapon against you for a few minutes and see if it is better or worse than a punch.

I was referring to people on this forum. You replace it with the at-fault divorce that preceded it, while correcting the problem of lawyers coaching their lie in court.

I don't understand what you are saying. Could you elaborate? No fault divorce is better than fault divorce... what are you claiming is the argument being made and by whom?

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Not sure if serious. How are the democrats in any way conservative?

Did you even read my post? They are to the right of every other first world country's conservative party. The democrats are middle/right at best. Their signature legislation was lifted straight from the republican's main think tank for christ's sake! I can't think of a single liberal bill they've past in 20 years...

Apr 27, 2012
Did you even read my post? They are to the right of every other first world country's conservative party. The democrats are middle/right at best. Their signature legislation was lifted straight from the republican's main think tank for christ's sake! I can't think of a single liberal bill they've past in 20 years...

Most Conservatives in the first world aren't actually Conservative since they support bigger government.

There is nothing right or Conservative about the democrats.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
My take:

Gay Marriage: The ship has sailed. The majority public perception of gays used to be they were a small but hardcore group of aggressively flamboyant, assless chaps wearing (yes, I know it's an oxymoron) men who going out of their way to be offensive and completely dismissive of public decency and decorum. Now gays are generally perceived as civil, suburban, child adopting, and proponents of typical middle class values and habits. Easy to oppose gay marriage when they're scaring your children at the gay pride parade, hard to oppose when you see images of loving, professional, respectful couples that look like neighbors (the neighbor who makes you feel embarassed because they upkeep their house better than you).

Hispanic: Need to change focus from "stop t3h Mexicans" to "We have rules for immigration and you need to follow them." Press for a compromise that allows "undocumented" workers to admit they broke the law and pay a decently-sized fine in return for a work permit. No citizenship pathway until all those currently in the legal immigration queue is cleared.

Economics: Opposing open-ended welfare isn't enough. People don't like seeing multiple generations on the public dole, but you need to have an alternative solution that works better since the public isn't ready to throw them to the wolves either.

Abortion: GOP is mostly right on the merits, but with no clear resolution in sight this is a battle best left unfought. Sure it motivates the hardcore partisan troops, but the larger public is tired of arguing about it and wants the issue out of sight for now. Medical advances are constantly working in the favor of the pro-life side as the age of viability gets pushed earlier and earlier, let this work quietly in the background for a while.

Glenn, I very rarely agree with your posts but this was nice.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
To those who dismiss this report,

If the GOP cannot hold the younger GOP base, how can they expect to be relevant once they take over?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

So what you are saying is the only conservative party in the 1st world is the Republican party. :cool:

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Most Conservatives in the first world aren't actually Conservative since they support bigger government.

There is nothing right or Conservative about the democrats.

Republicans are more big government than Democrats, from keeping the military establishment insane and invading random countries to medicare part D, to the Patriot Act, to warrantless wiretapping, to trying to regulate what goes on in the bedroom around the country.

And I will repeat again: Their(Democrats) signature legislation was lifted straight from the republican's main think tank for christ's sake! I can't think of a single liberal bill they've past in 20 years...

There is nothing NOT conservative about the democrats.

I will ask for the 1000th time. Name a few pieces of "liberal" legislation.