Browser box - best 65W TDP Intel Coffee Lake / 8th Gen to put in there?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
If you want bragging rights, then lets do this properly.

You will need a 2nd gen threadripper with 32 cores and 64 threads. If you wait for the CPU you should be able to grab a Founders Edition 1180 at the same time. You will need at least 64GB ram and maybe a TB SSD?

Let's see how many chrome tabs this bad boy can open.

The hard part will be a creating a compact phase change cooling system that will look nice and still fit in a relatively small case.

If you do this, I will be impressed. Otherwise, just use one of your other computers or buy a ex lease PC for $300.

Reactions: whm1974

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
If you want bragging rights, then lets do this properly.

You will need a 2nd gen threadripper with 32 cores and 64 threads. If you wait for the CPU you should be able to grab a Founders Edition 1180 at the same time. You will need at least 64GB ram and maybe a TB SSD?

Let's see how many chrome tabs this bad boy can open.

The hard part will be a creating a compact phase change cooling system that will look nice and still fit in a relatively small case.

If you do this, I will be impressed. Otherwise, just use one of your other computers or buy a ex lease PC for $300.

Scrub.

Go with a pair of Xeon 8180's. Accept no compromise.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
You already have the i3-8100? Well then, use that. No point spending more money. A quad-core Skylake is awesome for web browing, and will last for years and years. And the memory speed is great too. Even a dual core Sandy Bridge machine would still suffice for web browsing, if it weren't for the outdated video decoder.

Keep your wallet in your pocket, Larry!

Actually no now, i had to replace all Sandy and Ivy bridge cpus in my workplace because spectre and meltdown patch killed them, 2nd and 3erd gens are getting killed by security fixes and you do notice it, even on something as basic as web browsing. The IGP itselft was not that bad, altrought youtube moving to VP9 ist helping.

Haswell is still holding strong trought.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Browser boxes, pre-built. The most expensive (i5-8400) also has 16GB Optane, for $530. Not too bad for a pre-built. Of course, likely, the PSU and mobo and whatnot are proprietary, so don't expect any upgrade path.

https://www.newegg.com/promotions/acer/18-2132/index.html?cm_sp=Homepage-Top2016-_-P8_acer/18-2132-_-https://promotions.newegg.com/acer/18-2132/1920x360.jpg&icid=459643

Weirdly big for a system using integrated graphics. That thing must be 95% air. Plus the spinning rust storage makes me sad.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
If you want ro brag then use the smart choice, which is the free i3. For anyone who actually knows even a little about these chips, the hex-core chips will seem like a foolish waste of money for this purpose. Not sure I’d want to brag about that.

BTW, the i3 will also run much cooler. For a small form factor machine, this is a huge advantage - a better choice for informed bragging rights.

Reactions: whm1974