Brother planned his wedding on my b-day

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I had to plan my wedding around when the venue we picked had an opening. Those crazy brides plan their weddings up to a year and a half out these days...so we had to pick a Sunday since we wanted to have the wedding on a weekend before late October.

Jikininki

Mar 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

In the adult world your birthday doesn't mean jack.

Viper GTS

QFT

3+ years and counting now...no one has cared or really remembered my birthday. Sure it hurts but it's nothing to cry about.

If it bothers you so much...sit your brother down and talk to him about it. I really doubt he picked that particular day just to spite you. Maybe if he hears how much it bothers you he might consider changing the date. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. It's not the end of the world.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
What are you, 10?

In the adult world your birthday doesn't mean jack.

Viper GTS

It means a day off at some companies.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: jjsole
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: jjsole
Get over yourself.

Wedding planning is a b!tch and its impossible to pick a day that atleast someone will bitch about, so one has to go with what's overall best for themselves.
you are being a bit harsh.

i wouldn't pick a sib's birthday for my wedding date no way no how.

I really don't understand that. Its one day, one birthday, not stolen for life. I could never imagine having a problem giving that day up if it works for a sibling's marriage, muchless anyone else's close to me.

People sound like divas when there's not even a single ounce of disrespect intended in it at all. In fact be honored by it, its a friggin marriage, not a day long trip to the bingo parlor.

Yeah, what's the big deal? You're probably going to have plenty more birthdays. Every day you technically could get a year older - you're a year older than the same day 1 year prior. "OMG, I'm 1 year older than I was on July 5th last year!"

Just go and enjoy the ceremonies.

Or light the little plastic bride and groom on the cake on fire, and then blow them out, in lieu of your birthday candles, if that's really what's othering you.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Tell him that you get first pick on all the wedding gifts they get two of/don't want :) Hey, you could get a new toaster, a bread maker, wine glasses etc. Dude, when god gives you lemons, get a free Juicer.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
I'm failing to understand what the issue is. It's your birthday. How does that preclude him from having his wedding on the same day? Can't you celebrate your birthday the day after or something?

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: preslove
Tell him that you get first pick on all the wedding gifts they get two of/don't want :) Hey, you could get a new toaster, a bread maker, wine glasses etc. Dude, when god gives you lemons, get a free Juicer.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Mosh, you've never been married yet, right?

OP, you have no clue how much it takes to pick a wedding date, unless you're picking a date a year or more away... You have to be able to get the
A) Church
B) reception place
reserved on the same day.

When I got married, we were engaged in (April?) and wanted to be married between Aug and Oct. We had a choice of 2 dates that the church was available. On the date we got married, there was only 1 place available for a reception (out of about 15-20 in the area, including firehalls)

Now, if you look at it from a mathematical perspective, How many close relatives do your brother and his soon-to-be bride have? 20? 30? There's a pretty good probability that the date they chose would also be someone's birthday.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
sounds like someone is still bitter from a bad childhood.

mememememememe its always me. well i know someone born on 9/11 and i don't see him complainging to al qaeda for planning the attacks on his b-day.

there is a 1/365 chance that something ELSE will happen on your birthday. except if you're born on 2/29. grow up.

mikej007

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2004
Originally posted by: moshquerade
why a Sunday? aren't most weddings on Friday nights or Saturdays?

A lot of people choose to do it on a Sunday because it's substantially cheaper than a Saturday.

Dragoon42

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2000
Originally posted by: BrianH1
lets see, you will have 1 birthday every year for the rest of your life. your brother only has one wedding day his whole life. (hopefully, there is a 50% chance tho), therefore i wouldnt be upset at all.

are you married? because people like to celebrate their anniversary...it might not just be one day for the OP. I wouldn't care if it was me

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
I'd be ticked--the OP's birthday now coincides with his brother's anniversary. EVERY YEAR. Those that say it is just one day/one birthday are not taking into account the wedding anniversary. I'd be really mad about it....

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
I wouldn't care, though I would insist that he give me half the wedding gifts as a birthday gift ;)

Also : Wedding planning = PITA. DOn't add to the stress he already must have by bitching about "but..but.. my birthday? :( "

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Whaa, whaa, whaaaa...
They're trying to ruin my special day....;)

Get over it. It's only special to YOU. MILLIONS of other people have weddings, birthdays, divorces, etc on YOUR special day...Hell, my daughter was born on our 4th wedding anniversary...and she's always held that against us! I keep telling her that it's HER fault...she wasn't due for another week!...
Enjoy the wedding, Keep your birthday stuff separate from their stuff, and it won't matter to either of you...

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: CravenTacos
my ex girlfriend got married on my 21st birthday...i thought it was funny. so i crashed it

Now that's completely different and rather funny. :D

Cashmoney995

Jul 12, 2002
You share your birthday with one out of 365 (non when people have more sex and make babies statistic) people.

Birthday's are not events that carry precedence. Hell...I have to go into work on my birthday...

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: kami333
It'll be a good way to pick up one of the bride's maids.

GOOD POINT! OP, listen to this man. Played right, this could net you a three way.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: mindmaniac
My brother has been engaged for a few months now and has moved his wedding date to my b-day which is on a Sunday this year. I don't want to be sore about this, so what do you guys think?

There are so many factors that go into deciding on a location and a date. I'm sure your birthday was at the bottom of the list (as it should have been). No reason to be upset - it's just reality.