Brother Of Top Official Investigating Blackwater Is On Blackwater's Board Of Directors.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: bamacre
including alleged arms smuggling by Blackwater

and

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...R2007080501299_pf.html

Coincidence?

Oh, never! (rolling eyes....)

Petraeus reported that about 185,000 AK-47 rifles, 170,000 pistols, 215,000 pieces of body armor and 140,000 helmets were issued to Iraqi security forces from June 2004 through September 2005. But the property books contained records for 75,000 AK-47 rifles, 90,000 pistols, 80,000 pieces of body armor and 25,000 helmets.

It's a self-perpetuating Rube Goldberg War - ... an extremely complicated apparatus that performs a very simple, easy task in an indirect and convoluted way with an anticipation factor which makes slow but steady progress toward an ill-defined and unachievable goal.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
My whole take of the matter is that this was a somewhat typical case of trying to stack the deck for the use of mercenary paramilitary organizations. The whistle was blown and it would be outrageous to have any other outcome but to have this particular investigator recuse himself. But at the end of the day, GWB&co. will find someone else equally biased without the clear skeleton in the closet. So either way, we will get a US whitewash of the matter.

For someone like me, who opposes the US military's use blackwater in particular and the use of private militias in general, I see far more reason for optimism.

A. We are finally examining the giant mistake it was to grant these mercenaries immunity from the get go. Blame Bush and Bremer for bonehead blunder of major proportions.

B. We now get a chance to see exactly how huge of a waste of money it is. We could field and train ten soldiers for every blackwater employee and in the process the US military has outsourced very bad public relations that now rebound.

C. Under new accountability rules, we have just kited the cost of employing private security companies. Now the US must pay for putting Cameras on all vehicles and pay for a FBI agent to babysit and supervise every convoy.

D. A US whitewash of blackwater and its ilk is irrelevant. The Iraqi civilian government has almost no choice but to assert its rights to ban or greatly restrict these US sponsored private security firms. The somewhat question is will the new regulations apply to just present and future accountability or extend to retroactive prosecution of crimes based on the contention the no accountability rules set up by Bremer had no legitimacy.

E. A great deal of Iraqi insurgencies hatreds will now focus on these private security firms. They have simply worn out their welcome. And US congressional thinking will sooner or later
force the end of US use of these firms also.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What scares me is the thought that the Bushwhackos might consider using their private paramilitary against U.S. citizens in the U.S.

At any other time in our history, under almost any other circumstances, I'd consider this to be outright paranoia. However, paranoia is defined as an unreasonable fear. In this case, the fear is anything but unreasonable. The Bushwhackos have financed and supported Blackwater, a private military organization with NO legal civilian oversight which is better equipped and better financed than our official U.S. military, and which has blatantly supported the political objectives of the Bushwhackos, who have proven they are willing to commit MURDER by squandering thousands of American lives in their illegal war of LIES and TREASON by shredding the rights guaranteed to all American citizens under the U.S. Constitution.

and Who's Watching Over Who's Watching Over You?
Tell me who's telling who's telling you what to do what to do? :shocked:

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Harvey
What scares me is the thought that the Bushwhackos might consider using their private paramilitary against U.S. citizens in the U.S.

At any other time in our history, under almost any other circumstances, I'd consider this to be outright paranoia. However, paranoia is defined as an unreasonable fear. In this case, the fear is anything but unreasonable. The Bushwhackos have financed and supported Blackwater, a private military organization with NO legal civilian oversight which is better equipped and better financed than our official U.S. military, and which has blatantly supported the political objectives of the Bushwhackos, who have proven they are willing to commit MURDER by squandering thousands of American lives in their illegal war of LIES and TREASON by shredding the rights guaranteed to all American citizens under the U.S. Constitution.

and Who's Watching Over Who's Watching Over You?
Tell me who's telling who's telling you what to do what to do? :shocked:

Well, get this. In the history of human civilization, every single group that could be defined as a "paramilitary" group was eventually turned on the citizens of it's home country, by the despot leader of said country. Whether or not they were very successful is irrelevant.

Paramilitary groups are dangerous.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Pabster
Inaccurate and misleading, false thread title.

Inaccurate and misleading, false thread Bushwhacko sycophant denial. :thumbsdown:

Your thread title is a flat-out lie, Harvey. The brother is not on the BOD.

Sorry, but in this case, your attempted dodges and denials are unadultrated bullshit. Quoting from the story on ABC news, linked in my second post:

After initially rejecting allegations that his brother, Alvin "Buzzy" Krongard, was a Blackwater board member, Howard Krongard later told lawmakers that his brother was in fact on the board.

I posted links to credible sources, including a later, direct statement by Howard "Cookie" Krongard that his brother, A.B. "Buzzy" Krongard, had joined Blackwater's board and a statement quoting brother "Buzzy":

"I had told my brother I was going on the advisory board," Buzzy Krongard says. "My brother says that is not the case. I stand by what I told my brother."

Buzzy Krongard says the phone conversation was more recent than Cookie Krongard indicated to the committee. Cookie said it took place about five or six weeks ago. Buzzy says it was about two or three weeks ago. Both men say there was just one phone conversation.
"I told him I was going on this board. He claims I didn't tell him," Buzzy Krongard says. "So what can I tell you?"

Your turn to post proof to the contrary. If you can't, you simply prove yourself to be the liar. Either prove me wrong or give up because you've already lost this one.

What say you Pabster? Or should I just call you Trollster?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Your turn to post proof to the contrary. If you can't, you simply prove yourself to be the liar. Either prove me wrong or give up because you've already lost this one.

I must admit, you got me there, Harvey. I retract my previous post, and agree with the general sentiment that this is a conflict of interest.

Oh, 1EZ, I'm doing something you're incapable of. Admitting to a mistake, and correcting it. Without personal attacks.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

I must admit, you got me there, Harvey. I retract my previous post, and agree with the general sentiment that this is a conflict of interest.

Oh, 1EZ, I'm doing something you're incapable of. Admitting to a mistake, and correcting it. Without personal attacks.

/clap. Few here can do that. Bravo.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

WORLD ENDS! FILM AT ELEVEN! :shocked:

Your best post evar, Pabster. :thumbsup:

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

Well, surprise, surprise, surprise. I figured you'd just avoid this thread like the plauge. Maybe there's hope for you yet!

Oh, just FYI I have admitted I was wrong on things before, I've even changed some strongly held positions before so maybe you should leave your shoot-from-the hip personal attacks out of the equation. Had you done that you would have gained a little more respect from me, but you blew it.