Brother HL-1440 ~$172 shipped from Dell Home NC/NR

mfbf

Mar 8, 2002
I figured I would post this since the officemax deal brought some feedback. Dell home has 10% off printers and free shipping. Normally is ~$240 but they are giving an instant $50 off so lowers the price to ~$190. Then the addition 10% off lowers it to ~$172 with no tax (at least for me IL) and shipped. Would have been better with the additional 5% off but a little late. If you plan to order other stuff, there is a $35 off of $400 out there.

Link

Enjoy,
mfbf

mfbf

Mar 8, 2002
Do refill kits work well with this laser printer? Anybody know of a good place to get them?

I hope this is worth it to print my Ph.D. thesis at home.

mfbf

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mfbf
Do refill kits work well with this laser printer? Anybody know of a good place to get them?

I hope this is worth it to print my Ph.D. thesis at home.

mfbf
To answer your question, yes, the toner refill kits work great. The cartridge has a plastic plug on the end of it, so you don't have to drill into the cartridge to fill it. I just received a 2-pack of toner filler bottles from a seller off Ebay just yesterday. I paid $33.00 (including shipping of $6.00) to get both toner bottles delivered to me. The individual put the toner bottles in the mail during the next business day after I forwarded the PayPal payment to him.

The vendor that I dealt with: TonerKits.com - The price is $60.00 for two bottles off the Web site. However, if you look around EBay, you will see this vendor selling 2-packs for $25.98 or $26.98 with a "buy it now" option.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
wow, nice price with out any hassles...now if i could only decide for this one or that samsung everyone preaches about...

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: tydas
wow, nice price with out any hassles...now if i could only decide for this one or that samsung everyone preaches about...
I don't know too much about the Samsung printer. I'm assuming that you're talking about the ML-1430. Check out the following review of the ML-1430:
C-Net review of ML-1430

- According to the review, the Samsung only initially comes with a toner cartridge that's good for 1,000 pages. The Brother printer comes with an initial toner cartridge that's good for 3,000 pages. Plus, you can upgrade to a cartridge that can print 6,000 pages.

- It appears the Samsung printer offers a toner cartridge / drum combination that's capable of printing 2,500 pages. These cartridges can be found for as low as $53.00 off of CNet.

I guess it's kind of a toss-up. The resolution is a bit better on the Brother. The Brother printer is capable of printing more pages with the cartridge. However, the Brother printer will need a new drum at 20,000 pages. The cheapest price for this drum is $105.00 at Buy.com. However, I don't know about you, but it would be a long, long time before I hit 20,000 pages on my Brother laser jet.