Brother 2040 laser printer--Did I break it?

Sondra

Jan 21, 2001
Pulling a sheet from a paper jam out the front left a small piece of the paper in the printer. The next printing attempt jammed as well, and I pulled the new sheet of paper--but not the torn one--out the back. A third paper jam allowed me to pull the torn piece out the back along with the latest jammed sheet. But the part that I had to pull down to get it out (not the back door but a door just inside the back door) no longer clicked closed when I was finished. Now it just hangs down. There is a blue lever (or something) on both sides of the inside door, but they don't seem to do anything.

Did I break the printer?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Pulling a sheet from a paper jam out the front left a small piece of the paper in the printer. The next printing attempt jammed as well, and I pulled the new sheet of paper--but not the torn one--out the back. A third paper jam allowed me to pull the torn piece out the back along with the latest jammed sheet. But the part that I had to pull down to get it out (not the back door but a door just inside the back door) no longer clicked closed when I was finished. Now it just hangs down. There is a blue lever (or something) on both sides of the inside door, but they don't seem to do anything.

Did I break the printer?

When in doubt, RTFM.

Sondra

Jan 21, 2001
I looked through the manual online and couldn't see anything that answered my question.

Sondra

Jan 21, 2001
I had already cleared the jam by the time I looked at the manual. After clearing it, I heard noises inside the printer and there was a weird smell, so I turned the printer off. I read that the part I'm concerned about is the chute, but I didn't see anything about what to do if it doesn't close properly.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I had already cleared the jam by the time I looked at the manual. After clearing it, I heard noises inside the printer and there was a weird smell, so I turned the printer off. I read that the part I'm concerned about is the chute, but I didn't see anything about what to do if it doesn't close properly.

The purpose of following the jammed paper routine in the manual is not only to clear the paper but to make sure the movable parts are correctly aligned that may have been shifted by the paper or the attempt to remove it. Specifically, removing and replacing the toner cartridge often solves a multitude of problems.

Sondra

Jan 21, 2001
I removed and reinstalled the toner cartridge before and after your last suggestion, but it doesn't help put the chute back in place. At justanswer.com, an answer to a paper jam question includes, "Open the black plastic inner chute by pressing on the release tab located on the right side of the chute," but I pushed on everything I thought might be a release tab to see if it would close the chute and nothing did.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
OK, unless there are little broken pieces of plastic rolling around, you didn't break anything.
chapter069.jpg

chapter0612.jpg

Sondra

Jan 21, 2001
Well, I didn't believe the printer was OK because the chute still won't close, but I printed another document and it worked out fine. Not even any weird noises or smells. Thanks for your help.