Broken Home Theater Receiver...gut it & make it a PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
It's alive!!! Using the factory Samsung buttons and led lights. Time to solder and put everything together
abqse9.jpg

Last edited:

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
Finished product. If only I have enough time to work on this project. Everything was winging it as I go along. It's dead quiet :)

9tz5p3.jpg

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Wow, I'm impressed. That's pretty awesome. I'm inclined to believe your questions at the start of this thread were mostly rhetorical as you must have known all along what you were going to do and how to do it.

How exactly did you secure the graphics card? Did you take a picture from behind showing how it's secured and held in place? I assume you cut a slot for it?

I'm still unclear on why the choice of mounting the PSU so far forward. Does it vent from below, or out the back? If out the back, why didn't you choose to just move it back and cut mount/vent holes in the back for it?

Overall, very nicely done!

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
Wow, I'm impressed. That's pretty awesome. I'm inclined to believe your questions at the start of this thread were mostly rhetorical as you must have known all along what you were going to do and how to do it.

I honestly didn't know. I was literally winging the whole process as
I go along. First battle was where to place the motherboard and how to mount it. And then I have to cut out the IO Shield...after taking all the measurements and cut out the IO shield, the IO shield was installed and looks perfect. Only to find out the lip of the bottom of the receiver obstruct it and I won't be able to install the motherboard it on. :\ otherwise the build would looks a lot better.

How exactly did you secure the graphics card? Did you take a picture from behind showing how it's secured and held in place? I assume you cut a slot for it?

The next problem was to mount the graphic card...after sitting there looking at it and trying out all possible solutions I ended up cutting a slot at the top just enough for the protruding part of the graphic cards to slide through. Since it's just big enough for it to slide through, the graphic card is extremely secure. Not a millimeter of movement anywhere. I then cut out a rectangular area where the display outputs are.

Again, I was solving problems as I go along and all of the cuts are pretty rough.:\

I'm still unclear on why the choice of mounting the PSU so far forward. Does it vent from below, or out the back? If out the back, why didn't you choose to just move it back and cut mount/vent holes in the back for it?

The power supply was next in the process. I couldn't mount it all the way back like the motherboard because of the same raised lip preventing me from installing the IO shield is preventing me from installing the PSU. Also, that raised lip would mean I have to find a way to raise the rear of the power supply the same height. Not only that, with the PSU there it would completely block off the graphic card's ventilation ability.

Luckily where the PSU is currently mounted, there were 2 factory raised mounting points so it's natural to put the PSU there. With the PSU there, it's elevated about 1/4 of an inch. So I drill holes on the receiver and PSU to secure them. It's rock solid like the GPU.

Overall, very nicely done!

Finally, I tried various ways of mounting the hard drive but then it hit me to use a spare hard drive cage from an ancient computer case. The hardest part was drilling holes through it because it's made out of kryptonite apparently. Damn thing broke 3 of my drill bits. I finally got it done and now it's on there solidly.

And then the easiest part of this build was to find a way to power the PC. I was going to discard everything from the receiver but then realized "a button is a button" and salvaged the front power button & light from the receiver. After some tinkering, I found which wire goes to which (power button and LED light) and the rest is history.

P.S.
Now if only someone could show me how to wire up the volume knob to control the volume on the computer that would be great. :thumbsup::D

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
Got everything together and fixed everything. Waiting on a new cpu cooler.

v7umwl.jpg

259ki9s.jpg

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wonder if he got the CPU cooler changed & if he's actually using it now?..

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I wanted to do this a couple of years ago but wasn't sure how to mount a DVD drive in the case. Opted for a HTPC case.

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
Wonder if he got the CPU cooler changed & if he's actually using it now?..
I bought this rosewill cooler
35-200-054-TS
but it's just the case itself that's running hot. Not a lot of ventilation.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
You need to get some low rpm 120mm (or whatever will fit) fans to circulate the air inside.

I was coming in to suggest the largest fan (blowing out) cut into the top of the unit and a fan grille in black for a stealth look. Not sure how much space is left between the top and components.

That should be enough to cool it down a lot...heck even just a hole with a fan grill on it should work.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I really like this thread and its right up my ally. I love when people post pic of hiding pc's in odd cases.I would love to see more of this kind of thing but not sure what words I would even search under for something like this?? When I search something like "custom Modded cases or Custom Cases" I get pictures of custom painted cases or people who mod there cases for more cooling and thats totally not what I am wanting to see.Guess Im just not that google proficient :(