Broken AM2 retension bracket

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by lifeblood, May 3, 2012.

1. lifeblood

lifeblood Senior member

The AM2 CPU heatsink retention bracket on one of my motherboards (Asrock A780GMH/128M) broke. Its made by AMCO and is the kind of braket that uses pushpins rather than having a plate on back. I replaced the bracket with one from another board but it uses a plastic backplate. This would be fine except the blackplate rests on some traces on the back of the board which I would prefer didn't happen.

So, does anyone know where I can buy a replacement AM2 braket that uses pushpins rather than a backplate? I've done the mandatory google search but couldn't find the pushpin style. Anyone have better luck than me?

The holes on the spare bracket are too small to fit the pushpins and I'd rather not try drilling bigger holes or cutting a notch in the backplate (although I will if I must).

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Broken retension bracket Forum Date
    Broken SATA controller Motherboards Oct 14, 2016
    Any idea what broken motherboard component this is? Motherboards Jan 30, 2016
    1151 socket replacement - broken pin, its possible to fix it or MB is lost? Motherboards Dec 17, 2015
    Broken PCI-E retention mechanism (Asrock Z87E-ITX) Motherboards Mar 10, 2014
    Harbouring murderous thoughts towards graphics card retension clips Motherboards Feb 11, 2013

3. WT

WT Diamond Member

Interesting that the other backplate is touching traces. Are you sure you don't have it mounted wrong ?? Maybe try rotating it 180°. I know my Corsair H80 backplate for my 1155 board requires it to be mounted only one way so that it doesn't touch any traces.

I just replaced a 939 backplate (my second one with a broken lug on the 939 platform) and those are universal. I haven't done an AM2 yet, so I'd like to hear how this is resolved.

4. lifeblood

lifeblood Senior member

I emailed Asrock tech support about a possible source. We'll see what they say (if anything).