• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Broadwell-E v Skylake v <Wait - Zen - Kaby Lake>

Which CPU option?

  • Wait for Kaby Lake

  • Wait for ZEN

  • Keep the i7-6800k

  • Exchange for i7-6700k


Results are only viewable after voting.

variab1e

Junior Member
Aug 18, 2015
10
0
66
I am without a desktop at the moment, but am hardly home currently to care. I can make it for a few weeks maybe months and be alright. That said, I jumped the gun and bought a i7-6800k, thinking I was going to build a new machine, now I'm having second thoughts with the IDC coming up next week and I can RMA the CPU. So I was looking for some opinions as to whether it would be wise to:
  1. wait a bit (as in before the end of 2016) for Kaby Lake, or
  2. wait for Zen. or
  3. Return what I have and go with the i7-6700k
  4. Keep the i7-6800k
From what I've seen Zen is lackluster (sad, I really wanted the return of the Athlon days). Kaby Lake seems like not-so-much, although the baked-in Thunderbolt 3 would be nice I suppose. Otherwise I am not sure how to decide...

Usage is mainly for programming and therefor I also have a million associated programs open; browser windows, terminals, so forth. I am running 3x monitors - and I plan on getting a RX 480. Some games, not much, no time.
 

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
9,844
93
91
Keep the CPU you have. Option two is RMA it and get the i7-6700K which is still a fanastic processor.
 

aegisofrime

Junior Member
Jun 15, 2006
15
3
76
IDF16 San Francisco is coming up real soon, so I would suggest waiting till then to see if Intel announces any more details about Kaby Lake.

FWIW I'm in the same situation as you.
 

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
33,578
618
126
If your return period extends past next week, I'd hang on to it for a few days and decide whether to return it after IDC. In all honesty, I think if you follow that strategy, you're going to end up keeping it.
 

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
2,219
217
101
Since you already bought the CPU you made the choice.

I don't agree with some of the analysis based on its VERY speculative nature:

From what I've seen Zen is lackluster (sad, I really wanted the return of the Athlon days).
No one has seen much that is particularly definitive yet, certainly not enough to justify all the sadness that seems to be going around here lately.

Kaby Lake seems like not-so-much
Again, premature.

Intel could release a Skylake core part with Broadwell C's EDRAM under the Kaby Lake moniker and that could be a significant improvement in efficiency, for instance. Skylake already shipped with an EDRAM controller, just no EDRAM.

See this article: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/09/intels-skylake-lineup-is-robbing-us-of-the-performance-king-we-deserve/
 

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
16,706
6,512
136
keep it

ed: actually I would RMA it and get the skylake. That or 8 cores... thinking broadwell and limited oc-ability I would go wide on the core count to compensate.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY