Broadcom BCM47755

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
The new Broadcom mobile phone GPS chip, BCM47755, is supposed to be head and shoulders over what everyone is using now, and is supposedly available right now, but the only phone that I could find that uses it is the Xiaomi Mi 8, which if it can be obtained, might be a decent option if I switch carriers. Does anyone have any other info on this chip and which devices have it or will have it? There's not much out there on it but I have use for an accurate GPS and it would be great if it could be in my phone.

https://www.broadcom.com/products/wireless/gnss-gps-socs/bcm47755

https://www.navigation-professionell.de/en/xiaomi-mi-8-review-gps-galileo-accuracy/

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Either no one knows anything about this, or it's just not of interest. I love the idea of decimeter accuracy in my phone.

Reactions: ZGR

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I occasionally think of decimeters, and note I've never seen it used since I was in grade school, and here you are bringing that old nugget to life :^D

I'm dubious of the stated accuracy, but in any case, why do you want it? In my limited testing, I can get within a 2m radius using whatever my J7 has in it. That's close enough for most things.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
@lxskllr , the most common reason that people should want this is because it can help nav one far more accurately through complex interchanges where lane position can be critical; while I will appreciate that, my use for accurate GPS is in the back-country. My old Garmin does a reasonable job, but even the new Garmins are downright primitive compared to a smartphone. To have both in one package would be a dream come true.

Oh, also the new tech reduces the impact of reflections from buildings that can plague current GPS chips, increasing accuracy in urban settings as well.

Reactions: lxskllr

doctordoctor

Oct 24, 2005
Does anyone have any updates about this?

All the 2019 flagships have arrived and there's still no sign of this chip

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I gave up. I mean, if consumers aren't demanding it, there's no reason for manufacturers to provide it, especially if no one company is deciding to take the lead and tout it as the next big thing.

MarkCrystal

Feb 2, 2018
The new Huawei Mate 20 Pro comes with this new chipset. Makes a difference in cities with big buildings like Hong Kong

Jim Billups

Feb 7, 2019
I don't understand why this isn't huge for phone makers. For people who geotag photos, this makes a tremendous difference in picture location accuracy.

charlatan01

May 9, 2019
I often lurk here, but registered to comment on this... I've been looking for the same thing.
My use case is mountain biking. Reception and GPS accuracy can (and has) cost me a mile of hiking my bike through the forest.

This isn't the only chipset either --- same tech can be enabled for any device using the SD 855, but most likely isn't. Here's a link to the site that explains and tracks this stuff.

Reactions: crashtech