Broadcom’s Qualcomm takeover blocked by White House

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I think that broadcom didn't really want qualcomm for it's technology but...for all it's patents that are most likely way more valuable.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
There were some speculations that Broadcomm was influenced by Apple in wanting to acquire Qualcomm. Then Broadcomm can deal with Qualcomm tech the way Apple wanted it done.

It sounds like fantasy in some ways, but if it was even slightly based on reality we know how much influence Apple can have on its suppliers, even ones as big as Broadcomm and Qualcomm.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I'm kind of glad. Broadcom was looking to axe a bunch of Qualcomm folks for no reason other than standard practice. Yes, I know acquisitions/mergers often come along with bloodletting to pare down organizational redundancy, but it is my understanding that Broadcom likes to wipe out 33% of the workforce of any company they acquire, just . . . because.

Even though I am sort of rooting against them (sort of), I still want to see where Qualcomm's ARM server offerings take them. Someone wiping out 33% of their entire workforce in one go could potentially doom a project/division like that.