broadband telephone

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
anyone using broadband telepnone such as vonage, im not sure what other companies there are, but how do you like it compare to regular phone service?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i use sunrocket

it really really depends on your internet connection quality

this sites test reflects closely my VoIP quality

http://www.testyourvoip.com/

i would not recommend it to anyone that doesn't have a beefy cellular telephone plan, we added a 3rd cell phone to keep at home when my wife and i are out of the house, for cases where our kids are home and the VoIP might go out

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I use vonage, works great, and a hell of alot better then paying $40-60 for normal phone service.

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: sonoma1993
vonage is avaiable in my area, what service plan do you have?

i use vonage, and the sounds seems fine (also using comcast cable internet)

but i would suggest not relying on the voicemail feature too much- it tends to lag and let you know when you've gotten messages long after they've actually been recorded

the greatest benefit is the free caller ID and free long distance (i guess you could say)

our plane is unlimited local and long distance in anywhere in the us or canada (also puerto rico) for 25.99 a month

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
ATT Callvantage
Now 34$ but for like 6 months i paid $21. In the beggining it had some issues and not so many features, but now everything is cool.
The only thing i hate is the Voice mail system.

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
also i thought it was a bit of a cluster fvck to set up but after that i haven't had a lot of complaints

you need to make sure that the 911 feature is availible too

- another problem might be if you have to run lines, basicly the only phone jack in our house now is the one by the vonage adaptor

- i've been told that the customer service at vonage is complete crap also, but i personally haven't had too much trouble with them

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
how does it affect your internet speeds? i have comcast high speed cable.

i haven't really noticed a difference, but then again our phone isn't being used a lot

im sure speed decreases some what when the phone is in use

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
with vonage, do you get unlimited local and long distance calls? is there a limit on how many calls a month? long distance charges?

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
with vonage, do you get unlimited local and long distance calls? is there a limit on how many calls a month? long distance charges?

well with the plane that is 25.99 a month there is not limit as far as i know

if you go with the 14.99 a month plane you get 500 or 1000 local and long distance (not sure on the specifics)

but if oyu pay the 25.99 you should be able to call anywhere in the US or Canada with out any additional charges

calling internationally other than that like England or Australia they charge by the minute

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
I have vonage+comcast. I really like it. Sometimes it seems as if their is a bit of a delay but who cares for the price. I notice no real speed difference either. Tech support is top notch imo. I wanted all the phone jack to work in my house so I just went out to the phone box and disconnected my POT line from the house. Then I plugged the vonage into the phone jack with a splitter so I can use the phone in my room too. All the phone in my house work.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I like getting my voicemail emailed to me. I like being able to check my phone messages from anywhere that has an internet connection. I like to be able to check caller ID logs from anywhere that has an internet connection (because my phone only saves the record of the last caller, whether they left a message or not).

However, if power goes out, you have no phone at all, which REALLY suck.

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Xionide
I have vonage+comcast. I really like it. Sometimes it seems as if their is a bit of a delay but who cares for the price. I notice no real speed difference either. Tech support is top notch imo. I wanted all the phone jack to work in my house so I just went out to the phone box and disconnected my POT line from the house. Then I plugged the vonage into the phone jack with a splitter so I can use the phone in my room too. All the phone in my house work.

so by disconnecting the phoneline from the ground your calls automatically get rerouted to the vonage adaptor just because its plugged into the wall?

and also have you had any trouble with voice mail?

we didn't recieve a few till about 5 days after they were made

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Nik
I like getting my voicemail emailed to me. I like being able to check my phone messages from anywhere that has an internet connection. I like to be able to check caller ID logs from anywhere that has an internet connection (because my phone only saves the record of the last caller, whether they left a message or not).

well usually now days with cordless phones if the base goes out you have no phone either, even so lots of people have cell phones now

the fact that you can listen to voice mail through their site is nice, but the quality through doing that is crap

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: BriGy86
Originally posted by: Nik

well usually now days with cordless phones if the base goes out you have no phone either, even so lots of people have cell phones now

the fact that you can listen to voice mail through their site is nice, but the quality through doing that is crap

The quality is just fine. Besides, it's not just through their site. If someone leaves me a voicemail, Vonage actually emails me the .wav file.

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
thanks for the help guys, now will vonage and all of the other broadband phone companies bring us closer to live video phone talk?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i have all my network equipment including my VoIP box on a UPS , so the power would have to go out to the ISP to drop my service

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
now whcih phone router do you guys use? do you have it hooked up to your exisiting router? right now I have the linksys wrt54g wireless router

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002

so by disconnecting the phoneline from the ground your calls automatically get rerouted to the vonage adaptor just because its plugged into the wall?

No, instead of plugging a phone into the back of my voip router I plug it into a splitter. One end of the splitter goes to my phone and the other end goes into the phone jack in my room. Thus connecting all the other phone jacks to it.

I have had a few problems with voicemail but none like that. Just cant access it at certain times.

Kevin1211

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Crono
I have Optimum Triple Play. Cable, VOIP, and Broadband each $30 for a year, then $40 something each. All 3 are very good quality, and I haven't had any problems.

that deal is only goof for a one year sub right? so after a year, you pay normal price?? or am i wrong?

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I'm also with Sunrocket, the price is right. $16/mo won't even get you a vanilla local phone line from Qwest here, after the taxes.

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
now whcih phone router do you guys use? do you have it hooked up to your exisiting router? right now I have the linksys wrt54g wireless router

i have this one

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004

No, instead of plugging a phone into the back of my voip router I plug it into a splitter. One end of the splitter goes to my phone and the other end goes into the phone jack in my room. Thus connecting all the other phone jacks to it.

I have had a few problems with voicemail but none like that. Just cant access it at certain times.

do i HAVE to disconnect that POT line?