British Prime Minister Gordon Brown's bigot gaffe may have cost him the election

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsquare

Jan 30, 2009
This is currently major headlines in the UK. British Prime Minister called a woman a bigot for her anti-immigration views. As a result, the media and pundits are now calling his gaffe a massive setback for his campaign. It now look certain he's going to lose the upcoming election. Nonetheless Brown is in major damage control at the moment. Here are some articles for you guys to read. Video is also below.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ele...illian-Duffy-bigot-gaffe-may-cost-Labour.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ele...rowns-only-hope-now-is-the-sympathy-vote.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/apr/29/general-election-2010-gordon-brown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tifg1H-86y8&feature=related

While I agree that the PM was right and that she's a bigot, Brown should have made sure the microphone wasn't on to record his thoughts. Right or wrong, the PM shouldn't have made such comments in the final week of his campaign.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
A bigoted people are not likely to elect an opponent of their bigotry.

However, he's also being exposed for 'spin' on the issue, as he says all kinds of things to try to reduce the political impact.

That may hurt him more than having stood by what he said.

It's sad how major policies shift over who is elected changing on incidents like this.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
That's really going to hurt his efforts in pursuing the far-right BNP-style voters. Those are the types who control European elections.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I guess I don't really see the deal. She may be bigoted or not. Who really cares.

Is this about him being a typical two-faced politician? It is funny hearing his true thoughts after saying how nice it was to meet her.

lsquare

Jan 30, 2009
I guess I don't really see the deal. She may be bigoted or not. Who really cares.

Is this about him being a typical two-faced politician? It is funny hearing his true thoughts after saying how nice it was to meet her.

He's a politician, of course he's suppose to tell the people what they want to hear. You don't see Obama or Biden blatantly criticizing or offending their electorate. Of course politicians encounter unhappy constituents from time to time. It's normal, but you have to keep your composure. Brown brought this on to himself.

I guess what surprised the people is the language that he used to describe that woman. IMO, that woman is a bigot, but you don't need to literally say to one of your own party supporter.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
He's a politician, of course he's suppose to tell the people what they want to hear. You don't see Obama or Biden blatantly criticizing or offending their electorate. Of course politicians encounter unhappy constituents from time to time. It's normal, but you have to keep your composure. Brown brought this on to himself.

I guess what surprised the people is the language that he used to describe that woman. IMO, that woman is a bigot, but you don't need to literally say to one of your own party supporter.
I guess really what the issue is is he was simply recorded saying what would be expected of him to say. I guess I just honestly don't see such a huge deal. I hope it does cost him the election because he is a douche anyway.

Last edited:

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
There really are tons of Eastern Europeans in the UK. But this kind of thought alone doesn't strike me as bigoted. It's just a fact. She just asked where they were coming from which suggests she thinks the quantity of immigrants is not a good thing. It's frustrating that any time someone suggests there are too many immigrants the left jumps to making it about bigotry.

It might have helped if he stood by his comment but probably not. He was being nice to her face and then talked shit about her afterwards. There's no excuse for that. It might have been different if he called her out and said "you don't like Eastern Europeans? Why not?"

lsquare

Jan 30, 2009
There really are tons of Eastern Europeans in the UK. But this kind of thought alone doesn't strike me as bigoted. It's just a fact. She just asked where they were coming from which suggests she thinks the quantity of immigrants is not a good thing. It's frustrating that any time someone suggests there are too many immigrants the left jumps to making it about bigotry.

What about the US or Canada? I'm sure they accept as many immigrants as the UK if not more. She did asked a legitimate question, but the tone sounds like what bigot would use.

It might have helped if he stood by his comment but probably not. He was being nice to her face and then talked shit about her afterwards. There's no excuse for that. It might have been different if he called her out and said "you don't like Eastern Europeans? Why not?"

Comeon, no sane politician would back such a remark. Right or wrong, public relations is important especially for a politician. Brown should have made sure the microphone was off before he made the comment. In this case, the truth does hurt.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
If despising people that invade our country illegally is being a bigot,then yes, I am a bigot.

lsquare

Jan 30, 2009
If despising people that invade our country illegally is being a bigot,then yes, I am a bigot.

I think they're talking about legal immigration rather than illegal immigrants. The majority would not support giving an amnesty to illegal immigrants.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I think they're talking about legal immigration rather than illegal immigrants. The majority would not support giving an amnesty to illegal immigrants.

Right European Union citizens have a right to work in other countries. I believe Western European Countries had the opportunity to limit his right for the new ghetto Eastern European freshmen but Britain chose not to. Woops.

lsquare

Jan 30, 2009
Right European Union citizens have a right to work in other countries. I believe Western European Countries had the opportunity to limit his right for the new ghetto Eastern European freshmen but Britain chose not to. Woops.

Exactly, Britain can't have it both ways. It cannot get the benefits of being part of the EU while denying other EU members the same benefits that it's getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.