British legalizes welfare for multiple wives of muslim men....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: maddogchen
Countries should be respectful of immigrants from these cultures. If a man with 4 wives decide to move to the US or the UK, they should be allowed to continue their marriage in a new country. Their visas and green cards should reflect that. Its like "hey we're moving to another country, but i can only take one, so i'm divorcing you three, bye" I don't feel that governments should be involved in the business of deciding if marriages are valid or not unless it is for the protection of an underage child.
No, sir. In plenty of nations I can beat my wife for her not cooking my supper properly. Should that be allowed in the US? When you go to a country as a voluntary immigrant, you better adopt its laws or educate the locals on how you think they should be changed. You cannot have a multi-tiered system. You don't like it, get the hell out (and I am an immigrant). That's what you buy when you move there. Now, the legitimacy of the polygamy law may be weak anyway, but as it is with it in force against citizenry, certainly no immigrant should get to avoid it.

:thumbsup:

When one moves to a new locale, they must abide by the local laws of their adopted state or nation. The unreasonable expectation that laws should conform to one's individual beliefs and practices is exactly the issue here -- and it's entirely unacceptable.