British Airways: All men are Pedos

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
This has been said about a dozen times, but - the policy applies even when they are not flying alone!

What you're basically saying is "separate but equal".

not sure if i conveyed it well or not, but i was agreeing that the rule is dumb. also that i understand the corporate stance on it, regardless of my feeling it is a dumb rule. if a guy is going to molest a young girl/ boy flying alone, sitting next to them wont matter much, they will just wait and watch for an opportunity. only thing it will stop is that pedos access to touching them without moving.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Food for thought: The vast, vast majority of men are not pedophiles. However, as a society, we have built and continue to build up this huge idea and expectation that we should all be concerned about any adult male in such a regard. Is it possible that we are in essence creating the problem by continuing to emphasize that young children are sexual objects (by demonizing men in the first place)?

Sex offender hysteria. Besides, the fear of random creepy strangers is vastly overblown. Most kids who are molested are victims of people that they or their family know.

takeru

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2002
Then how come any airline lets you pick your seats online when you reserve them? I just flew back from India a month ago on Emirates and there was a 10 year old girl in the seat next to me. There were plenty of open seats on the flight too, she and her brother ended up moving a few rows back to have 3 seats to themselves. Worked for me, I didnt care.

allowing you to picka seat is just another option given to the passengers. when passengers pick the seats specifically they are locked in the system on the seat chart and shown as reserved. the airline staff COULD still move them if they have to, but only as a last resort. there will always be people who didn't pick seats or have special accommodations. if there are open seats it makes moving them around easier. i don't know what emirates flight policy is for minors so i can't comment on that.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
allowing you to picka seat is just another option given to the passengers. when passengers pick the seats specifically they are locked in the system on the seat chart and shown as reserved. the airline staff COULD still move them if they have to, but only as a last resort. there will always be people who didn't pick seats or have special accommodations. if there are open seats it makes moving them around easier. i don't know what emirates flight policy is for minors so i can't comment on that.

Well just like a poster above said, odds are much higher you are going to be molested by someone you know.

Shouldn't the airlines make you sit away from relatives/babysitter/etc then?

takeru

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2002
Well just like a poster above said, odds are much higher you are going to be molested by someone you know.

Shouldn't the airlines make you sit away from relatives/babysitter/etc then?

depends on whose responsibility it is. they are not traveling alone, and not the airlines personal responsibility.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Sex offender hysteria.

Since birth we're pelted with the idea that random men are pedophiles, therefore we're expected to actually be pedophiles, and therefore some men turn into pedophiles who otherwise wouldn't.

I don't know if there's any scientific or psychological merit to that idea, but it bears thinking about.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Since birth we're pelted with the idea that random men are pedophiles, therefore we're expected to actually be pedophiles, and therefore some men turn into pedophiles who otherwise wouldn't.

I don't know if there's any scientific or psychological merit to that idea, but it bears thinking about.

mmmkay.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
this isn't anything new. i worked for an international airline before and its one of the general rules. its for kids younger than 18 years of age traveling alone. lets say your daughter is traveling alone international, do you want a guy sitting next to her?
"No, thank you, I take it black, like my men."

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Well, he was basically called a pervert if you think about it, heh.

Anyway, I remember there was a news story (I actually think it was in the UK) a couple years back where this little girl ran off and fell into a well where she died. A truck driver actually saw her wandering in the woods alone and thought something was amiss. He said he decided not to stop since he didn't want to be seen as a pervert trying to abduct a girl.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
All children under 19 should be transported in the luggage bay anyway.

Everyone knows this.
Wouldn't they die because of how thin the air is? Not that I'm disagreeing or anything...

A few of the weaker ones might die because the holds aren't heated.

Other than that, what's your point?

Nov 29, 2006
this isn't anything new. i worked for an international airline before and its one of the general rules. its for kids younger than 18 years of age traveling alone. lets say your daughter is traveling alone international, do you want a guy sitting next to her?

WTF? You cant be serious. Maybe i dont want some whiney kid sitting next to me. Yeah that is how it started lol