Britians invent XXX Cameras

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This may work better than X-rays and Metal Detectors. Good idea/Bad idea, who knows. Sounds like a fairly good Idea. Should the US Invest in Camera Networks?

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6233713.html

LONDON--A British company has developed a camera that can detect weapons, drugs or explosives hidden under people's clothes from up to 25 meters away in what could be a breakthrough for the security industry.

The T5000 camera, created by a company called ThruVision, uses what it calls "passive imaging technology" to identify objects by the natural electromagnetic rays--known as Terahertz or T-rays--that they emit.

The high-powered camera can detect hidden objects from up to 80 feet away and is effective even when people are moving. It does not reveal physical body details and the screening is harmless, the company says.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Seems interesting. If they can screen for certain materials such as explosives exclusively, this is a far less intrusive means of providing security.

Edit:

As I understand it, the camera would be able to "see" under you clothes to the extent that it can "see" certain material fingerprints, such as explosives, but it's not going to give the user the ability to see you as if you had no clothes on. In other words, the camera will be tuned to detect the specific frequencies radiated by dangerous materials.

agibby5

Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: piasabird
This may work better than X-rays and Metal Detectors. Good idea/Bad idea, who knows. Sounds like a fairly good Idea. Should the US Invest in Camera Networks?

Yeah, let's give the government more power...

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
It sounds good for high security areas, but to have it on every corner is just too much. To say you need such things to keep people in check tells the world that your country/area is a god forsaken cesspit that no one should ever go to, and if it's not then it's headed there anyway with the creeping police state and all that entails.

On a side note, if this does in fact revel in detail a persons body under their cloths, I encourage all fat ugly men wherever these cameras pop up to locate these cameras then loiter in their field of view and frequently bend over to pick up dropped objects, preferably facing away from the camera, maybe having "suspicious objects" on their person to encourage interest of the camera operator.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
.............to encourage interest of the camera operator?

I see you're already daydreaming about having the job?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
It sounds good for high security areas, but to have it on every corner is just too much. To say you need such things to keep people in check tells the world that your country/area is a god forsaken cesspit that no one should ever go to, and if it's not then it's headed there anyway with the creeping police state and all that entails.

You can hear the arguments already. Why stop crime in only high security areas? Think of the children, every school must have one to prevent weapons from being brought in. Then think of the people. It is in government's interests to "protect" everyone and so every street corner must be capable of busting a terrorist or gang, or random person who is carrying something illegal.

Imagine if Israel had these cameras what they'd do to stop suicide bombers. No vest/belt could be hidden from sight and would never be effective again.

With the rise of modern terrorism comes the rise of new and more effective government controls which will be applied against everyone. As I have said many times, the Patriot Act is merely the beginning. You haven?t seen anything yet.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Assuming you're a average heterosexual male, put yourself in the place of a security person monitoring the cameras and you see said fat ugly male with something suspicious on his person which requires you to have closer look at him right about when he bends over facing away from you to pick up some lose change and takes his time about it.

How would you feel?

-edit-

Originally posted by: Jaskalas

You can hear the arguments already. Why stop crime in only high security areas? Think of the children, every school must have one to prevent weapons from being brought in. Then think of the people. It is in government's interests to "protect" everyone and so every street corner must be capable of busting a terrorist or gang, or random person who is carrying something illegal.

Imagine if Israel had these cameras what they'd do to stop suicide bombers. No vest/belt could be hidden from sight and would never be effective again.

With the rise of modern terrorism comes the rise of new and more effective government controls which will be applied against everyone. As I have said many times, the Patriot Act is merely the beginning. You haven?t seen anything yet.

That is the problem, something like this is just to easy to point to as a short term fix. Instead there should be focus on the root of the problem so that these measures are not needed. But that is hard, and might not get you as many votes as a quick fix you can point to right away.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Assuming your a average heterosexual male, put yourself in the place of a security person monitoring the cameras and you see said fat ugly male with something suspicious on his person which requires you to have closer look at him right about when he bends over facing away from you to pick up some lose change and takes his time about it.

How would you feel?

Moonbeam has an overwhelming hatred and disgust for his own fragile body, so seeing something like that would only give him a means of projecting his self-hatred onto another person, all the while looking on from the protection of a one-way looking-glass. He would give himself a brief escape into a 3rd person world in which he sees everything that he hates about himself manifesting in other people.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
It's Britons, not Britians.

Sliding down this slope is fuuuuun!

Yep, although I'll be more concerned about this 'ride' if it opens here in the States. America does after all have a history with the "Not Invented Here Syndrome." The notion of it does open up a big ol box of new issues (the very least of which would be exposing hetero adults to possibly embarrassing real time images of the human body). Insecurity FTW!!

And fwiw, this thread ain't about Moonbeam. Let's keep the assumptions somewhat topic-related shall we? :)

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
My point is that in the USA some security points are Using X-Ray Machinery and the Cameras do not shoot deadly Radiation into your luggage or into your body, so this is a less pervasive type of monitoring. I.E. it is a Greener Technology than X-RAY machines. It can tell the difference between drugs and pay dough. Probably is not perfect. Maybe it can keep people from bending over to take their shoes off or keep grandma in a wheelchair from being strip searched.