Bringing up problems at a school.

eigen

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2003
Do you guys think it would be wise to bring up a security hole(numerous) I have found regarding one of my schools networks. I really don't think I should, as I just see me incurring more problems.As well as the fact that I imagine the IT people will just ignore me. But these security holes are rather important. I have thought of sending a anonymous letter to the school paper, but the school paper does not publish anonymous letters.

I guess it comes down to should one be whistleblower?

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Why don't you just send an anonymous letter to the IT guys if you are that worried about it...

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
You make it sound like there is a cabal of school administrators that doesn't want anyone to reveal the weaknesses in the school's network. :D

Just tell someone, if they ignore you, that's their problem.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: MacBaine
Why don't you just send an anonymous letter to the IT guys if you are that worried about it...

Put a txt file in a critical server saying "I told you so", and call it "BOOT.lNI" or something like that.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos
don't do it, guarenteed bad things will happen to you

exactly.

if anyone remembers... i found a few printers at my school last year that were open to the world (with the help of a few atot members). when i sent an email to the IT department i was accused of all sorts of things, someone from the IT deparment at the school registered here and harassed me till the mods banned him. i was later kicked off the campus network (they just blocked the mac address of my wireless card). i ended up buying a new one and changing my IP on a weekly basis because they would keep blocking the unregistered ones.

definatly, keep your mouth shut and let them learn the hard way.

eigen

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2003
I don't really expect the IT guys to take me seriuosly if they receive some e-mail
with the header anon@anon.org or something similar.

As per the cabal of administrators, I think that is the way the world works.You try and do something good and well, you get shat on..They would proably say that the how I learned about the problem violates the Appropiate use policy or whatever....

There are numerous problems all of them non-obvious, so even if I told IT I don't think they would worry.I just don't like the idea of all my fellow students using a network that could very easily be compromised..

IBuyUFO

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
if you do tell then you will probably be accused of hacking the school's network. Just don't help anyone. It does not pay :)