Bringing my computer tools on a plane

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
After checking their website, they say that you can't have anything with a blade (naturally) or anything over 7 inches (obligatory dick joke here) in your carry on.

Assuming I leave out the contraband exacto I have in there as well as my cattle prod, I should be ok bringing it on board with me, yes?

Tools list

Unfortunately, I'll have to leave my dynamite and plastic explosives back home

Explosives list

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Computer tool??? All I've ever needed was a couple screw drivers and a paper clip. Check that shit.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
I got one of those tiny screwdrivers that you use on glasses taken away from me. It was about 5 inches including the handle.

If you want to keep it, check it. Even when I checked my needlenose plier set, it seems to have caused a lot of anxiety in the LAX x-ray area. They opened my bag and only disturned the area where I had put the pliers. Of course they repacked it in the most half-assed manner.

Just because the TSA has rules on some Web site, don't expect the people in the airport will abide by them or even be aware of them. As I said, if you want to keep it, you should check it.

gar3555

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
I always get a screwdriver/needlenose pliers/small electronic tool of choice taken cuz I'll go straight from work to the airport, and my laptop bag is bustling with tools, it's hard for me to remember all of them.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Yeah, maybe I should check it. Although a large part of me wants to bring it in, if only to hassle the man.

Ah well.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Yeah, maybe I should check it. Although a large part of me wants to bring it in, if only to hassle the man.

Ah well.

Do anti-social geeks get off on things like this? ;)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Because giving a person who is two steps above being mentally handicapped a reason to strip-search me is a good idea and would be made by a sane individual. :confused:

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Damnit, no ninja stars or black jacks. Awww, no billy clubs!

Edit: But you can bring Spear Guns in checked luggage! Yay, Predator!

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
What kind of weird ass man checks in cattle prods? Or crowbars?

Even Dr. Freeman wouldn't be that retarded.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm glad I no longer have to fly for work. I used to have to check 1-2 toolboxes plus my luggage every dammed time I got sent out of town for a job. When it was close enough (driving distance) I'd take one of the service trucks with built-in tool boxes, but that wasn't an option when they'd send me on long-distance jobs. Usually once I got there, we'd negotiate with the local union for a mechanic/oiler or a local equipment/crane repair firm to handle most of our repairs, but I still was required to have all my basic tools with me. Helped when setting up/rigging in a new crane...you just never know what's not gonna work right when you get there.
I can only imagine the hoops TSA would make me go through even with the tools locked and checked...