Bring your lunch to work thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
Originally posted by: irishScott
Originally posted by: iamme
Originally posted by: Gothgar
do you have a fridge at work and or a microwave?

fridge, microwave, and toaster oven.

Bring a potato and a fork (and salt/pepper/butter whatev). A few seconds punching holds, 10 minutes in the microwave, baked potato FTW!

Do you manage to piss off all the people in line for nuking their lunches while you prepare a 10-minute meal? ;)

The baked potato is a mid-morning/mid-afternoon snack (when no one's using the microwave). My work has a decent cafeteria, so I normally just go there.

Although I have held up a couple of people on occasion. :D

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I bring my lunch to work for most of the week (except for Fridays when I usually go out for pizza at a local joint), but I'm also a lazy cook... I hate cooking during the week so I'll make a batch of stuff on Sunday and split it up into four portions. For an easy meal the Stouffers meat lasagna reheats very well in the microwave, and the family size makes four good-sized portions... aside from that I'll do chili in the crockpot or maybe sandwiches if I'm uber-lazy that week.

beguile

Oct 28, 2004
I make sandwiches, bring a spoon with my yogurt, fruits (banana, peach, apple, orange), chips, cookies, and water to work.

You can mix it up by replacing the sandwich with a frozen burrito and mix the flavors of yogurt and type of chips you bring to work.

Sometimes I eat out once a week.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I need to save more money and eat healthier at work. I probably eat out 80% of the time during the work week, and I need to cut down. When I do bring lunch, it's usually sandwiches, wraps, pasta, etc.

Any good ideas for simple, healthy, and delicious lunches for the work week?

Hot Pocket Lean Pockets

/thread

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
the b/f and I have been together for almost 9 years. During that time, he has eaten out every day. Since he is INC, it is a business expense. I was working and paying my daughter's college then most recently her wedding. Now that it is all over with and paid for, I left my job and just stay home and take care of him.

I bought a nice wide mouth thermos and a big lunch box. I make him lunch/dinner every day now. I make home made soups, and meatball parm sammiches or chilli and turkey clubs, or beef stew and reuben sammiches or italian potato salad and roast beef slices or... whatever... And he has cookies and fruit or chips and pickles or ... whatever. He works 12-14 hours so I make enough for two meals.

He loves it. He calls me every day when he has his first part... to tell me that he loves his lunch!

:)

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006

For the last 2-3 months my lunch has been, organic carrots & celeries sticks, sweet peas, banana, a few slice of cold cut beef/turkey, and water.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
the b/f and I have been together for almost 9 years. During that time, he has eaten out every day. Since he is INC, it is a business expense. I was working and paying my daughter's college then most recently her wedding. Now that it is all over with and paid for, I left my job and just stay home and take care of him.

I bought a nice wide mouth thermos and a big lunch box. I make him lunch/dinner every day now. I make home made soups, and meatball parm sammiches or chilli and turkey clubs, or beef stew and reuben sammiches or italian potato salad and roast beef slices or... whatever... And he has cookies and fruit or chips and pickles or ... whatever. He works 12-14 hours so I make enough for two meals.

He loves it. He calls me every day when he has his first part... to tell me that he loves his lunch!

He is a lucky man! :thumbsup:

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: KarenMarie

i'm jealous.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Listen, I am all for being a modern woman and equality and all that...

But as modern and all that as i am, I can say with all honestly there has NEVER, EVER been one day in all these years that he has ever taken a shower and not found a clean towel waiting for him. there has not been one day in all these years that he has gone in the dresser and not found all his t-shirt, socks and boxer briefs clean and folded waitng for him. there has not been one day in all these year that he has ever gone into the closet and not found his work clothes cleaned and ironed and hung up for him. And his bills paid and his banking done and the house clean and the shopping taken care of and his business books ready for the accountant. There has not been one day in all these years that he has ever gone in the fridge and not found something homecooked to eat. Even when I worked two jobs to pay for my daughter.

You guys can call him lucky or say you are you are jealous.

But, when I met him, I had nothing... material. And my ability to trust was non existant. He has given me everything I have ever dreamed of and much of what I never thought I would ever find. Security, honesty, trust, confidence in myself thru my shortcomings... and the very LEAST I can do, besides treating him with honor and appreciation and respect, is to provide for his comforts.

<---- waiting for the NOW fans to come in and bash me!

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
ohhhh.... when I say his bills paid... let there be NO misunderstanding. It is his money that pays his bills not mine.

He comes home every friday and hands me his paycheck. Sealed/unopened. He has no idea what it is in. His words to me are "Don't ever bounce a check, don't fuck with the IRS and be nice to the accountant once a quarter. As long as I can stick my ATM card in and get cig money, I am happy and don't care what you do with the rest".

When I say I pay his bills, I mean that I am in total charge of all the money in this house... except for what he earns from his cash on the side jobs. I am 100% in charge of his business books (it is my sig on his biz checks) and check book and his personal payroll/banking. This is how he likes it. He wants to go to work, bust his ass, and not worry about anything else.

njswift10141980

Feb 12, 2005
Originally posted by: KillerCharlie
sandwiches, wraps, pasta

That's what I usually bring. I usually make a bunch of food then freeze it in small containers to use throughout the week. Leftovers from dinner work really well too.

Thats what I do to, and I also bring a little fruit cup instead of chips and whatnot.