Bring me up to speed

KBTuning

Mar 22, 2005
ok, i hadnt as much as looked at computer parts since i built my current system which at the time was pretty badass... now im doing photo editing with some "massive" files in Lightroom 2.1 64-bit and the Q6600 just isnt doing it... soooooo... after poking around for a day i see that the Phenom II replaced the turds that were the Phenom and now the Core i7 stuff has come down to almost reasonable prices...

I'm looking to put a new processor in my box and eventually update the cards as mine still do just fine in the games i run. So what is the best stuff right now before you hit the big price jumps, can i just drop a new Core2Quad Q9400 in my current board and enjoy or should i jump up to Corei7 920 or whatever the current PhenomII stuff is. I'm not going to set a budge because i never keep to it...

And just to clarify i'm not an Intel or AMD fanboy as I've ran both im my life, P100, P166MMX, Duron 700, Athlon 1000, Athlon 1800+, A64 3000+@2.4Ghz, and the current Q6600 has been up to 3GHz but my craptastic 780i mobo MCP cant handle the heat so its stayed at 2.4GHz since 2 weeks after i got it even tho i've got that massive nvidia edition zalman cooler on it haha.

KBTuning

Mar 22, 2005
cant overclock with this board, MCP overheats and by the time you get an OC worth keeping you start getting errors, pour design on eVGA's part... so if i got with another Core2 product its staying stock clocks...

KBTuning

Mar 22, 2005
i've got 9600GT's in SLi, currently they play any game i want to play at any setting i want to.

when i was looking around a single GTX280 was slower than my 9600GT KO setup so im still happy with whats there in that dept. im not even sure if i have the current drivers that enable the physx/cuda part of the chip. but as i said, GPU isnt the issue, Photoshop Lightroom converting 12.3megapixel RAW images to JPEG and resizing them is... even with 4 cores it takes a while to push out 300-400 images...

KBTuning

Mar 22, 2005
i've talked myself into a i7 920, looking for a board now... stupid overclocks HERE I COME!