Bridge to Terabithia

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DancinPanda

Jul 8, 2007
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
book >>>>>> movie
as is almost always the case.

I would argue 100% of the time its true...

The only thing that comes close is the Lord of the Rings series. The books are so dry, while the movie really did a good job as best a movie could in making it exciting and awesome.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: DancinPanda
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
book >>>>>> movie
as is almost always the case.

I would argue 100% of the time its true...

The only thing that comes close is the Lord of the Rings series. The books are so dry, while the movie really did a good job as best a movie could in making it exciting and awesome.

Agreed. LOTR was dry in that a lot of it was "walking" in the books, but that said Tolkien still knows how to write well. You could cut the book in half probably and make it just as good.

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
People complaining about plot or depth, remember this is like a 30 yr old children's novel. Book was better, since film deviated from it on some minor points, but more or less faithful to the story.

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
It was a good movie, however something got into my eye that made me tear up a bit.

HermDogg

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2004
It's a great movie, for precisely the reason that it's not Narnia. I heard a lot of people complaining that the movie should have had more CGI scenes of Terabithia but that would go against the point of the story: it's all about imagination. It's a story about growing up and dealing with things as they come through the use of what kids have available. Narnia could have been that, but instead of showing how the skills and character traits the kids learn in Narnia translate to the real world, it's just shunted aside. The Chronicles of Narnia is still a great series, but BTT is more real, and as a result, far more moving. And more dusty, as a lot of people tend to get something caught in their eye when they watch the movie.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: HermDogg
It's a great movie, for precisely the reason that it's not Narnia. I heard a lot of people complaining that the movie should have had more CGI scenes of Terabithia but that would go against the point of the story: it's all about imagination. It's a story about growing up and dealing with things as they come through the use of what kids have available. Narnia could have been that, but instead of showing how the skills and character traits the kids learn in Narnia translate to the real world, it's just shunted aside. The Chronicles of Narnia is still a great series, but BTT is more real, and as a result, far more moving. And more dusty, as a lot of people tend to get something caught in their eye when they watch the movie.

ah, finally i see someone understood the movie.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I loved the movie, aside from the CG scenes.

I read the book quite a few times as a kid...loved it.

I wasn't impressed with the CG scenes in the movie; frankly, i don't feel they belong in it at all...

But that's because i read the book, & when you do, you have your own interpretation of things...the CG crap in the movie didn't really fit my interpretation imo...

Still great movie though.

Mizugori

May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: DancinPanda
thought it was a little too silly, and didn't really go anywhere..

was emotional tho i'll give ya that.

yeah i agree. the previews made it seem like they were going to go further, and it was a bit too silly, and i think on the jacket or somewhere i read that they are trying to get away from serious problems in their real lives... i guess i just didn't relate too much to their problems, they weren't that serious... i mean who hasn't gotten made fun of at school?? come on. that's life.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Not every movie needs to be over the top.

It also seems that everyone wants to see the same story/ending type over and over and then complains that it's just the same story over and over.

Finally something different comes around and the same people complain that it's not like the other movies.

I found it a good story. Based on the trailers (and not knowing about the book) I expected a different type of movie, but the story I was told was still a good one.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: ElFenix
so was it more than just the cutting room floor from chronicles of narnia (which the ads make it seem to be)?

the ads were bogus, it had nothing to do with narnia or narnia like scenes or narnia anything

there were only 5 minutes of CGI in the whole movie and the ads showed half of that