bribed a cop yesterday

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
this happened in new delhi

So i had gone inside a big office complex to give my beloved k750 for repair (water damage :()

there was a line of cars outside, i just assumed it was street parking and pulled up behind the last one and parked there. (not a no-parking sign in site).
i was in the office building for about 20 minutes, and when i came back out, all the cars were gone. i asked a nearby guard if he had seen anything, and he said that the cop who had towed it had left his cell number.

i called the guy, and turned out he was right at the end of the same street, so i ran there right away. the conversation i had went something like this:

cop: "hi, yes i will have to tow this to the station a few blocks away, because it is a 1000 rupee fine and only they can give you a reciept"

me: "oh, ok"

him "license and registration"

i hand him my license and open up the car and start rummaging for the registration

him: "man its late...i hope that someone will be there at the station.. this is such a bother having to tow it all the way there"

me: "well there's no other way, is there..."

him: "oh, you could just pay me here. i'll make it 400 for you, because you've been nice and cooperative. here's your license, forget about showing me the registration"

i hand him 400 rupees...

him: "thanks, have a nice day!"

drops my car down from the tow truck and speeds away...

I'd heard stories about how easy cops were to bribe here in India, but this is the first time I've experienced it firsthand. I would have been perfectly willing to go to the station and pay the 1000, except he really didn't seem too inclined to do so.

cliffs:
-i parked on a street thinking it was allowed
-it wasn't, i was towed
-cop gave me an easy way out
-i took it

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Where in India are you?

Anyway there are 4 people on living on my hall (dorm life) from India. I think most of them have paid off cops before or seen their parents do it... so yeah I was also under the impression that this is uber-common, lol.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: AznAnarchy99
either that or you got scammed by a fake cop =p

nah a fake one would have kept the car, and not accepted the bribe..haha

Originally posted by: eLiu
Where in India are you?

i'm in delhi

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Shawn
in the US you can be arrested for trying to bribe a cop.

here, if a cop sees you bribing another cop, all he wants is more money from you. its really sad...

edit: i realize it is quite hypocritical for me to be saying that...

rubix

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
the best way to get your rupees back is by slashing bushes and killing octoroks with your sword. walk into strangers homes and smash all their pots also, they won't mind.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I've done it before in the balkans, but I don't think it would fly too well here (canada).

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Originally posted by: vshah

here, if a cop sees you bribing another cop, all he wants is more money from you. its really sad...

don't try it. you need to take into consideration that they deal with punks everyday.

if IA finds out, it only heats things up.

nonetheless, risk taking is part of what it means to be human, though I don't encourage it, ironic enough.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: fire400

don't try it. you need to take into consideration that they deal with punks everyday.

nonetheless, risk taking is part of what it means to be human, though I don't encourage it, ironic enough.

IA?

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
I've done this in Turkey. Got 'busted' for running a non-existent red light. Haggled the fine down to 50% original value.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
A friend of mine in high school did it (in the US). He folded a twenty behind his license when he handed it to the cop. Somehow he got away with it.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: SearchMaster
A friend of mine in high school did it (in the US). He folded a twenty behind his license when he handed it to the cop. Somehow he got away with it.

i would never dream of trying this in the USA

mh47g

May 25, 2007

...and with a $20 none the less... hah.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: fire400

IA?

Internal Affairs

TheNewbie

Jul 17, 2007
Originally posted by: mh47g

...and with a $20 none the less... hah.

Try $200 and then MAYBE I would say this COULD happen, for $20 there's no way you're bribing a cop here.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: rubix
the best way to get your rupees back is by slashing bushes and killing octoroks with your sword. walk into strangers homes and smash all their pots also, they won't mind.

:thumbsup:

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: rubix

maybe its cause im up early but i chuckled :)

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Bribing is extremely common in India. Taking your kid to the doctor...bring a bribe. Cop bothering you...bribe him. Government corruption is just part of daily life there. These accounts came from an everyday looking Indian girl I used to work with. She's the last person you'd ever think would have the "audacity" to bribe someone, but you dont need audacity to do it in India.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
You didn't bribe him, he just took your cash. Bribery would mean you brought up the topic of giving him money.

Oct 4, 2004
Yeah, it's pretty common here. Aren't you the dude with the Land Cruiser? If it had been an Alto/Zen or something, you could have gone away with a hundred. :p