Breyers Carb Smart Ice Cream = Awesome

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
My wife just picked up a box of chocolate. It is sweetened with Splenda and has only 4 net carb for 1/2 cup.

I don't think it cost anymore than their regular ice cream and the taste (to me) is indistinguishable.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I'd always found Breyers to be kind of "gritty." But I haven't had Breyers in years.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Splenda, excellent.

I love chlorinated sucrose derivatives.

2nd best = anything made by dupont.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Does it come in coffee flavor Riprorin?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Breyers = good stuff (but not as good as Haagen-Dazs). Haven't tried the low-carb version yet, however.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: jjsole
Splenda, excellent.

I love chlorinated sucrose derivatives.

2nd best = anything made by dupont.

Are you suggesting that sucralose is bad for you?

If so, I'd be curious to see your proof.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Riprorin

There aren't many studies on it from what I've seen. That's the scary thing.

If nature didn't put a chemical in the food, it's probably not all that great. Just a general rule of thumb.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

If nature didn't put a chemical in the food, it's probably not all that great. Just a general rule of thumb.
I guess you can stop eating because artificial chemicals are in almost everything you can think of consuming :)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I guess you can stop eating because artificial chemicals are in almost everything you can think of consuming :)

True, there are lots of chemicals in processed foods. Lots of chemicals which have undergone rigorous testing. Splenda, it would seem, hasn't.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

True, there are lots of chemicals in processed foods. Lots of chemicals which have undergone rigorous testing. Splenda, it would seem, hasn't.
It's undergone some, so it's been passed by the FDA. I'm sure some of these other chemicals may possibly have problems that the FDA hasn't identified, and Splenda may as well, but they do a good battery of tests on these artificial sweeteners (like making a rat live off it for a while :)) before clearing them.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

It's undergone some, so it's been passed by the FDA. I'm sure some of these other chemicals may possibly have problems that the FDA hasn't identified, and Splenda may as well, but they do a good battery of tests on these artificial sweeteners (like making a rat live off it for a while :)) before clearing them.

Mouse? Then here you go:

-
The comet assay with 8 mouse organs: results with 39 currently used food additives.

Sasaki YF, Kawaguchi S, Kamaya A, Ohshita M, Kabasawa K, Iwama K, Taniguchi K, Tsuda S.

Laboratory of Genotoxicity, Faculty of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Hachinohe National College of Technology, Tamonoki Uwanotai 16-1, Aomori 039-1192, Japan. yfsasaki-c@hachinohe-ct.ac.jp

We determined the genotoxicity of 39 chemicals currently in use as food additives. They fell into six categories-dyes, color fixatives and preservatives, preservatives, antioxidants, fungicides, and sweeteners. We tested groups of four male ddY mice once orally with each additive at up to 0.5xLD(50) or the limit dose (2000mg/kg) and performed the comet assay on the glandular stomach, colon, liver, kidney, urinary bladder, lung, brain, and bone marrow 3 and 24h after treatment. Of all the additives, dyes were the most genotoxic. Amaranth, Allura Red, New Coccine, Tartrazine, Erythrosine, Phloxine, and Rose Bengal induced dose-related DNA damage in the glandular stomach, colon, and/or urinary bladder. All seven dyes induced DNA damage in the gastrointestinal organs at a low dose (10 or 100mg/kg). Among them, Amaranth, Allura Red, New Coccine, and Tartrazine induced DNA damage in the colon at close to the acceptable daily intakes (ADIs). Two antioxidants (butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)), three fungicides (biphenyl, sodium o-phenylphenol, and thiabendazole), and four sweeteners (sodium cyclamate, saccharin, sodium saccharin, and sucralose) also induced DNA damage in gastrointestinal organs. Based on these results, we believe that more extensive assessment of food additives in current use is warranted.

PMID: 12160896 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
-

Renal mineralization--a ubiquitous lesion in chronic rat studies.

Lord GH, Newberne PM.

Mallory Institute of Pathology, Boston, MA 02118.

Renal mineralization is a commonly encountered lesion in old rats and its presence at times complicates the interpretation of data derived from chronic rat studies. The feeding of sucralose, a new and high-intensity sweetener under regulatory review, resulted in caecal enlargement and an increase in the incidences of renal mineralization and pelvic epithelial hyperplasia. These responses prompted a review of the literature focusing on the relationships, if any, between the caecal and renal changes. The literature supports the contention that caecal and renal changes occur frequently in response to feeding poorly absorbed osmotically active substances to rats. Some possible mechanisms that may be involved in the development of the renal lesion are discussed.

PMID: 2210518 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
--

I found those links on Google.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
How many calories per serving?

I'm not sure since I don't count calories.

I'll check tonight when I get home from work and let you know.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
What were the doses given to these critters in the second study?

I believe that artificial sweeteners are not 100% safe. Really it just seems like they wouldn't/shouldn't be. Nonetheless I use them with near reckless abandon. That's because I believe they are pretty darn safe, even if not 100% safe, and the alternative for me is a massively increased caloric consumption which, I think, will harm me more in the long term than the artificial sweeteners I have now. When it comes down to it I'd rather be slim with a reliance on these than fat with a reliance on insulin when I get diagnosed with Type II diabetes down the road :)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

I believe that artificial sweeteners are not 100% safe. Really it just seems like they wouldn't/shouldn't be. Nonetheless I use them with near reckless abandon. That's because I believe they are pretty darn safe, even if not 100% safe, and the alternative for me is a massively increased caloric consumption which, I think, will harm me more in the long term than the artificial sweeteners I have now. When it comes down to it I'd rather be slim with a reliance on these than fat with a reliance on insulin when I get diagnosed with Type II diabetes down the road :)

Well there's no reason to worry about it. Aren't we all going to die in like 2013 anyway?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

Well there's no reason to worry about it. Aren't we all going to die in like 2013 anyway?
Not me! I'm moving to the mountains before the war starts :)

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000

You loon. It's not 2013, it's 2012. Geez.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

This is why I eat organic food at home only.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Nutritional Info:
Breyer's Vanilla Carb Smart
Serving Size 1/2 cup
Servings Per Container 16

Amount Per Serving
Calories  130 
Calories from Fat  80 
Total Fat
9g