Brexit: How the Conservative Right screwed England and makes Trump/Republican incompetencies look small

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Reactions: hal2kilo and KMFJD

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
this is another great one

I can just imagine that at least a few of these Britons are the same fuckwads complaining about all the “Pakis” and immigrants pilfering benefits/social services from hard-working pensioners—yet they believe they’re entitled to live tax-free in another country.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
this is another great one

I wonder what proportion of those affected voted for Brexit? (Edit - in fairness, the rules only allowed those to vote in the referendum who hadn't been living abroad for more than a certain number of years, so some of them might not even have had a say in the matter - those ones might have a legit grievence)

Can't say I'm that bothered, myself. To be honest, and this is itself probably an irrational prejudice, I formed a negative opinion of those sorts of ex-pats as a child, when watching Alan Whicker interviewing them, as he seemed to do a lot on his TV travelogue shows, when I noticed they so often claimed to have left the UK because there were 'too many brown faces' here now (e.g. like my own father's).

A downside of Brexit is that all the reactionary boomer pensioners might start coming back here. Though it always seemed like the worst of them went to South Africa, or maybe Australia.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Bumping this on the news that Sinn Fein just became the majority party in "unionist" Northern Island, all thanks to a botched Brexit Northern Ireland border protocol and no solution in sight, while the NI economy lies in shambles.

Brexit isn't done giving her gifts yet.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Bumping this on the news that Sinn Fein just became the majority party in "unionist" Northern Island, all thanks to a botched Brexit Northern Ireland border protocol and no solution in sight, while the NI economy lies in shambles.

Brexit isn't done giving her gifts yet.

File this one under "silver linings".

6fcyzs.jpg

Reactions: dainthomas and pmv

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Ah Brexit, giving conservative voters the ability to punch themselves in the face...repeatedly.

Jacob Rees-Mogg has given the game away – even this government knows Brexit is a disaster | Jonathan Freedland | The Guardian

On a visit to the Eurotunnel terminal at Folkestone, hi-vis gilet over his double-breasted suit, Rees-Mogg announced that the government was delaying yet again the imposition of post-Brexit border checks on imports from the EU. He asked the public to celebrate this decision, on the grounds that it would save £1bn a year and help hard-pressed consumers by avoiding an increase in the cost of imported food. Enforcing post-Brexit checks, said the minister, “would have been an act of self-harm”.

Now there's some great thinking..."People should thank us for not doing stupid shit"

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Ah Brexit, giving conservative voters the ability to punch themselves in the face...repeatedly.
Now there's some great thinking..."People should thank us for not doing stupid shit"
Trust me, within the decade (likely sooner) the Tories will be blaming Labour entirely for Brexit, with Fox News levels of disinformation in the media/social media and revisionist history painting Conservatives as delaying the implementation of Brexit to save Britain. It'll probably work on voters too.