Breaking: Shooting at CT elementary school

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
lol @ the news hyping things up over the use of a 'Bushmaster assault rifle'.. they sure know how to scare people.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
If guns were wiped off the face of the earth here's what we would do.

Machine the parts, by hand if needed.
Make the cartridges.

We're talking 1800s technology here (the cartridge) We're not going to forget how to make them.

It's not like some magical thing. It's a gun, with black powder that you can make from 3 ingredients found in nature.

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sure it is. Do people NEED alcohol? No. Do people WANT it? Sure.

But banning alcohol would prevent 11,000 drunk driving fatalities every year.

Are you fine with punishing all the responsible alcohol drinkers out there to save some lives?

No, but I'm for not giving someone who does DUI a second (much less a third) chance. If you DUI, go to jail and stay there for years. Don't like it?
then don't do it.

But of course, that's not what this is about so no need to divert the thread to that. Start another thread if you want to talk about how bad DUI is on society and how many innocent people die from it each year.

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011

Are you fine with punishing all the responsible alcohol drinkers out there to save some lives?

You make a good point but guns have the potential to cause a immediate disaster by one individual, alcohol does not. You never hear of a drunk killing 26 people at one time.
You must remember that "some lives" you mention might be a statistic and be a very abstract concept to most people. I can assure you that these kids that died are not a small statistical number to their parents and family members.
People need to wake up and forget about their wants for the good of society. Toys can be used for fun but guns should only be used as a tool by the military or the police.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Toys can be used for fun but guns should only be used as a tool by the military or the police.

Luckily the government doesn't agree with you. Like I said earlier, hundreds of thousands of people defend themselves yearly with personal firearms. Courts actually ruled that police departments are not responsible for your safety, because its physically impossible.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
You make a good point but guns have the potential to cause a immediate disaster by one individual, alcohol does not. You never hear of a drunk killing 26 people at one time.
Alcohol simply has the potential to cause abuse, violence, depression, and a host of other psychological/physiological issues in millions of homes across the country. This is in addition to the tens of thousands of lives we lose to drunk driving, liver disease, domestic violence, etc.

So your argument is simply that you don't care about violence until the body count hits XX number.

You must remember that "some lives" you mention might be a statistic and be a very abstract concept to most people. I can assure you that these kids that died are not a small statistical number to their parents and family members.
I can assure you the people ACTUALLY affected by the shooting probably have their phones, TVs and computers turned off because they don't give a sh1t about what the world thinks.

But when it comes to shaping public policy, we need to have a data driven discussion. That means numbers, statistics, not emotional cries for help from people who don't know the effectiveness of the legislation they are proposing.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
I have a feeling they're gonna ban "assault rifles." Seems like theres lots of talk about this .223.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
I have a feeling they're gonna ban "assault rifles." Seems like theres lots of talk about this .223.

For some reason an Ar-15 makes a lot of people piss themselves at the mere throught of it. Never mind the fact that one wasn't even used in this shooting.

I was at the gun store Friday night and the place was absolutely packed with people stocking up in anticipation of a ban.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001

Damn straight.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
For some reason an Ar-15 makes a lot of people piss themselves at the mere throught of it. Never mind the fact that one wasn't even used in this shooting.

I was at the gun store Friday night and the place was absolutely packed with people stocking up in anticipation of a ban.

These are the same idiots who "stock up" every time a democrat is elected as well. It's hilarious.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
lol @ the news hyping things up over the use of a 'Bushmaster assault rifle'.. they sure know how to scare people.

lol @ him shooting those victims 3-7 times each with that rifle LMAO!

Can you image those 6-7 year old targets absorbing those bullets? ROFL!

I hope you actually meant something different but your words come off as the most callous, insensitive things I've read in this thread. Please remember what happened here and post accordingly.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Irrational fear of weapons clearly runs in your blood.

Irrational fear of weapons..

lmao, you're kidding right?

I've had a gun pointed in my face before by my mother's abusive boyfriend, he locked us in our room and held her at gun point. Luckily, he'd fallen asleep sometime in the night and my mother was able to get out and get the police. I was 9 years old.

So you're damn right that I fear weapons. Calling that fear irrational shows how callous you are.

I'm pretty sure these little children were terrified when this asshole started to open fire on them. Of course, they were irrational in their terror.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Damn you guys seriously, I'm not going to wade through pages and pages of your gun bs just to find some info on why this thread was created.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003

I've had a gun pointed in my face before by my mother's abusive boyfriend, he locked us in our room and held her at gun point. Luckily, he'd fallen asleep sometime in the night and my mother was able to get out and get the police. I was 9 years old.

So you're damn right that I fear weapons. Calling that fear irrational shows how callous you are.

I'm pretty sure these little children were terrified when this asshole started to open fire on them. Of course, they were irrational in their terror.

When you look at a gun sitting on a desk, do you fear it?

That is what we mean by irrational fear.

When a man wielding a gun is threatening you, you fear the man and what he might do, or is your fear direct torward the gun?

OK, so some asshole threatened you with a gun in your life. I'm so sorry. Your response to this is what, be afraid of guns, they're evil? As opposed to, I wish I had a gun so I wasn't so helpless? How is one response more or less correct than the other?

A man with a gun gives you reason to be cautious. A gun by itself is nothing.

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
When you look at a gun sitting on a desk, do you fear it?

That is what we mean by irrational fear.

When a man wielding a gun is threatening you, you fear the man and what he might do.

A man with a gun gives you reason to be cautious. A gun by itself is nothing.

So a man is threatening you without a gun because he cannot get one, should you fear the man and what he might do? :colbert:

(Just throwing out a counterargument that could have been used against you....not necessarily to get rid of guns or not. In other words, you're not helping your argument here, IMO.)

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
So a man is threatening you without a gun because he cannot get one, should you fear the man and what he might do? :colbert:

(Just throwing out a counterargument that could have been used against you....not necessarily to get rid of guns or not).

Sure, maybe he'll come at me with his fists, or a knife, or a million other things. I don't know, do you fear people that threaten you in general?

My point is the gun doesn't do anything if the guy wielding it doesn't intend to use it. Stop putting all the blame on the gun, and think of people.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
It's not difficult to grasp. You just shouldn't have that particular right, it's not necessary in this day and age. If you are in trouble just call 911.

and what does 911 do? nothing.

so they call the police. 15 minutes at minimum to get to my house.
what if the criminal is already in my house. what if they cut my phone line? what if I can't reach the phone?

A lot can happen in 15 minutes. I'll probably be dead or seriously injured before the police arrive.

call 911...lmao....

the people in that school called 911. that worked out well, didn't it?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Yeah, mainly because the black market guy is going to go to jail whereas the FBI guy may get his wrists slapped.

This makes no sense.
so the guy isn't going to go to jail for selling illegal weapons to begin with?
how the hell is he going to know the guy is a nutjob?

why would he be doing something illegal to begin with if he didn't want to go to jail?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

What ghetto learns. Ghetto gets.

Keep it real.