BREAKING: Palestinian group says Israeli settler executed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Originally posted by: RichardE
The only thing I do not agree with was destroying the power plant. That affects all the palestinians. Destroying that cut off the water pumps.
It also saves the lives of many Israeli soldiers. It impedes the ability of the militants to communicate and organize themselves. Sure, civillians will suffer, but the terrorists bring it to their people. Israel has to think of it's soldiers' safety.

True I suppose.

Hopefully after all is said and done Israel will aid in rebuilding the plant.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
The only thing I do not agree with was destroying the power plant. That affects all the palestinians. Destroying that cut off the water pumps.

I shudder to think of the children caught in the crossfire...but the Palestinians elected these savages, and we all knew then that no good could come of it. I wish that not a single civilian would be killed, but on the other hand, if this chemical warhead stuff is true, then I want Israel to break Hamas for good and end this bullsh*t.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
What I don't understand is that if Hamas is in control of the government of Palestine and they carry out terror attacks/raids on either Israeli citizens or Israeli soldiers then how is it not an open act of war? Israel should siimply declare war on Palestine and in a week there will be NO more Palestine.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
America should stay out of this and keep its mouth shut. We need to stay out of the middle east for a while and let them do what they want. A person I talked to a few months ago said that we should build a wall around the mideast and throw in guns and let them sort each other out. That was harsh in my opinion but he was basically saying that these people have been fighting for many years and it is not our problem. Indirect problem, maybe, but not direct. We have lots of indirect problems. I support Israel and I support the Palestinian people who have suffered tremendously, but America cannot help bring peace to both of these sides. Instead, if America involves itself, it will create animosity between itself and either the Israelis or the Palestinians, or both. We tried to bring both sides together many times and each time, we ended up looking bad while they both still fought each other. I really wish there was peace in the mideast and the world as a whole. There can be peace if only these two sides decide on it on their own. No outside force will do anything.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Ronstang
What I don't understand is that if Hamas is in control of the government of Palestine and they carry out terror attacks/raids on either Israeli citizens or Israeli soldiers then how is it not an open act of war? Israel should siimply declare war on Palestine and in a week there will be NO more Palestine.

Everyone hates Israel including US. Why? Oil, recycling OPEC dollars to Western hirelings like ex-diplomats, journalists, academics, businessmen, combined with good old antisemites makes Israel very weak at the UN and internationally.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Future Shock
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: dahunan
**my bad.. I thought it was the soldier.. The kid.. is important.. but executing some random kid just makes them look like disgusting and sick Arafat lovers.. What was the rationale behind that move.. soldiers... different story...
the word "rationale," or any form thereof, is inappropriate when describing any actions on the part of Palestinian militants.

they have none. they need to be destroyed.

Which ones? The problem here is that all "Palestinian militants" didn't agree to this - a small group dedicated to derailing the peace process and the toning down of the rhetoric did.

And Isreal played right into their hands - by destroying the peace process.

Israel did not "destroy the peace process". The Palestinians did by taking the soldier, and now a settler, hostage. And please don't fool yourself about the other Palestinian militants; they've never intended to make peace with Israel, and they still don't.

GeNome

Jan 12, 2006
I think we can all agree that kidnapping, and then killing, Israeli soldiers and civilians was a very stupid thing to do on the Palenstinians part. But, I don't think Israel should escalate this into a war. Although, "war" is a pretty strong term to describe something that would only last a few months, at most. Palenstine could not win a fight agains Israel, period. Israel has the backing of the U.S. Although, IMO, this is and always has been a very stupid thing for us to do. Israel has made a lot of enemies in the ME, which is definitely not good for our foreign relations.

So here's to hoping this doesn't get much further.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Aelius
Logically the IDF has no reason to not do it. Based on what both sides said.

One went in to get the kid at any Human cost. The other vowed that this is only the start of kidnapping soldiers and they plan to do more soon.

Unless some miracle occurs in the next few days there won't be many buildings standing. I wouldn't put it past Israel to chase every gunman to the original borders.

This could potentially start the next major Arab Israeli war.

In which case Israel will have a much larger country when this is all over with!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: GeNome
I think we can all agree that kidnapping, and then killing, Israeli soldiers and civilians was a very stupid thing to do on the Palenstinians part. But, I don't think Israel should escalate this into a war. Although, "war" is a pretty strong term to describe something that would only last a few months, at most. Palenstine could not win a fight agains Israel, period. Israel has the backing of the U.S. Although, IMO, this is and always has been a very stupid thing for us to do. Israel has made a lot of enemies in the ME, which is definitely not good for our foreign relations.

so what would you have the United States do...allow Israel to be wiped off the map?

In all seriousness you can`t be telling me that the United states should stand back and allow a race to be decimated?

Sure we all know it doesn`t matter if the whole middle east ganged up all at once on Israel they would still win now...
But there was a rimw in the not to distant past that we provided everything that Israel needed.

Youv`e heard the saying I`m sure --
If the palestinians were to dis-armthere would be peace in the middle east.
If the Israeli`s were to dis-arm within weeks there would be no Israel!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This is blowing up much bigger than I had envisioned.
Hope this doesnt spill over into more countries in the ME.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Which ones? The problem here is that all "Palestinian militants" didn't agree to this - a small group dedicated to derailing the peace process and the toning down of the rhetoric did.

It's funny how we keep trying to convince ourselves that the enemy is only a small portion of the population over there. It's a small portion that is nuts enough to strap on a bang belt, but they enjoy very broad support. Various polls put support for suicide bombers and acts of terrorism at better than 60% on the Arab street.

It's not a small cabal of criminals, it's a whole people stuck in a medieval mindset and dreaming of a return to Pan-Arab greatness. They still tell stories about the defeat of Guy of Lusignon by Saladin. They still tell stories about Richard III. They probably tell stories of the sixth and seventh centuries when Islam raped and pillaged its way across southern Europe, but we've forgotten that part, and the part about the tide only being turned back at the gates of Vienna five centuries later. But we're the mean, old crusaders.

I don't know if this conflict has real potential to widen, or not. The Syrians and Egyptians probably aren't going to rush to the aid of the Palestinians, because they know they would get their asses handed to them, and probably lose territory in the process. But the populations of those countries... who knows what will happen? The regimes don't reflect the will of the people, and Islamic fundamentalists are either brutally suppressed or bought off because they are a huge threat to the existence of the ruling families.

Regardless of what happens, any prospect of our evangelizing our way to a peaceful, democratic mideast is gone, if it ever existed. I'd like to see the West gang up and colonize the whole region for another hundred years. Worked in India, and a lot of other places. But right now the U.S. doesn't have the stomach for even a few thousand combat deaths in a little brushfire war in Iraq. We're technologically rich, but low on backbone.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

months?! lol.. I give it two weeks tops before Israel has the entire Palestinian populace under lock and key, or in the ground. Things are about to get realllll ugly for the Palestinians, and nobody can deny that they've brought it on themselves.

my thoughts and prayers are with the Israeli soldiers tonight. It's time for them to go to work!

GeNome

Jan 12, 2006

months?! lol.. I give it two weeks tops before Israel has the entire Palestinian populace under lock and key, or in the ground. Things are about to get realllll ugly for the Palestinians, and nobody can deny that they've brought it on themselves.

my thoughts and prayers are with the Israeli soldiers tonight. It's time for them to go to work!

Funny, that's basically the same thing that was said about Iraq. Terrorists don't just go *POOF* and vanish into thin air when a military power waves its war flag. They endure, always have and always will. And putting a country under "lock and key", as you put it, is not a way to get rid of them.

And in response to JediYODA: Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I'd do. What Hamas did was wrong. I'm not going to argue with you there. But Israel doesn't exactly epitomize peace and democracy either.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
But Israel doesn't exactly epitomize peace and democracy either.

Oh? I'd say in that region they are a shining beacon of peace and democracy. I'd be interested to know what you think they have done, with specifics, to deserve being apportioned a share of blame for the way things are over there. They've given land, they've watched thousands of innocent men, women, and children killed by murderers, and the vast majority of the time have taken no action whatever in retaliation. When they have retaliated they have always suffered for it internationally, mostly because certain members of the chattering classes in the U.S. and Europe have their heads firmly implanted in the anal area.

The bottom line is this: if Arab fanatics stopped attacking Israel tomorrow and recognized its right to exist, the violence would be over for good. It isn't Israel that keeps upping the ante. The current situation is _exactly_ what the radical wing of Hamas wants. In the past that alone has been enough reason to not play along. But at some point, as the deaths mount, you have to give them what they want, and illustrate that it may be more than they bargained for. I suspect that will now happen.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Funny, that's basically the same thing that was said about Iraq. Terrorists don't just go *POOF* and vanish into thin air when a military power waves its war flag. They endure, always have and always will. And putting a country under "lock and key", as you put it, is not a way to get rid of them.

And in response to JediYODA: Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I'd do. What Hamas did was wrong. I'm not going to argue with you there. But Israel doesn't exactly epitomize peace and democracy either.
The Isreali army, and the nation as a whole, are unlike any other in the world. They can, and will, defeat whomever they need to, using whatever means necessary. They wont let the politics from China, Russia, UN, EU, US, or any other factor get in their way... trust me.

I'm actually jealous of their abilities to fight terror with a massive balls-to-the-wall response. This may just be the final straw for them; and if that's the case, they're not going to stop until every militant is in the ground.

That is one of the best ways to skin a terrorist cat. I just wish that our military were allowed to do the same! Take the political handcuffs off, and we too could bury the terrorists we're facing every day... every last fvcking one of them. (ie, allow us to enter Pakistan, Iran, or anywhere else they are currently allowed to run and hide! then, once we're there, let us bury them all!)

I hope Israel kills every last gun-toting jerk they find in Gaza! It's truly sad that it must come to that, but enough is enough!

GeNome

Jan 12, 2006
I won't deny that, for a middle-eastern country, Israel has done a good job of keeping the peace. I guess my phrasing was a little harsh in my last post, which I apologize for. I know you served in the Israeli military, and I highly respect your opinion on the matter. So let me try again.

It seems to me, from what I've read about the region, that Israel has been known to abuse its power in the area due to the fact that nobody else there can touch them. From my point of view, which, btw, I am willing to change, ever since Israel was created after WW2 it's just been a cause of trouble. Not so much itself, but just the prescence it has there. Of course, I don't think there will ever be peace in that area, since everybody wants the land for themselves.

I just don't think that striking militarily (is that even a word?) is the best option for them. But again, on the flip side, neither is sitting down and having a cup of tea with Hamas.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

The Isreali army, and the nation as a whole, are unlike any other in the world. They can, and will, defeat whomever they need to, using whatever means necessary. They wont let the politics from China, Russia, UN, EU, US, or any other factor get in their way... trust me.

I'm actually jealous of their abilities to fight terror with a massive balls-to-the-wall response. This may just be the final straw for them; and if that's the case, they're not going to stop until every militant is in the ground.

That is one of the best ways to skin a terrorist cat. I just wish that our military were allowed to do the same! Take the political handcuffs off, and we too could bury the terrorists we're facing every day... every last fvcking one of them. (ie, allow us to enter Pakistan, Iran, or anywhere else they are currently allowed to run and hide! then, once we're there, let us bury them all!)

I hope Israel kills every last gun-toting jerk they find in Gaza! It's truly sad that it must come to that, but enough is enough!

I can only imagine you have a narrow-minded definition of the word, "terrorist."

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Like with previous kipnappings of soldiers the abducted soldier will most likely 'accidently' die during his rescue too. Last thing they want is an ex-abductee talking in a possitive way about his treatment by the 'terrorists'.

Last thing the Israeli government needs is for soldiers or the general population to view the other side as human, because that would make it harder to justify the hundreds of women and children who are locked up without trial or even formal charges.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Originally posted by: Genx87
This is blowing up much bigger than I had envisioned.
Hope this doesnt spill over into more countries in the ME.

I hope it does, there needs to be an epic fight to finally settle this once and for all. Maybe all the tinpot dictators will finally get overthrown as a result of this. Anyway, Hamas are idiots for taking hostages and the Pals are idiots for electing them; At the very least Hamas should've recognized Israel and begun a transition to become a legitimate organization..too bad for them because they had plenty of chances at reconcilliation.

Future Shock

Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Future Shock
Originally posted by: dahunan
**my bad.. I thought it was the soldier.. The kid.. is important.. but executing some random kid just makes them look like disgusting and sick Arafat lovers.. What was the rationale behind that move.. soldiers... different story...
the word "rationale," or any form thereof, is inappropriate when describing any actions on the part of Palestinian militants.

they have none. they need to be destroyed.

And Isreal played right into their hands - by destroying the peace process.

EVERY time a terrorist group tries to grow up and stop fighting, there are seemingly always splinter groups that continue to hew a violent gameplan to derail the peace process. Fatah's past transition to a governing party spawned Hamas itself, Hamas's transition into possible peace process has spawned yet another violent offshoot...

Future Shock

So kill them all.

There are 6 million Palestinians (if I remember correctly) in the occupied territories...and they all claim allegiance to either Fatah, Hamas, or similar - in much the same way Americans are either Republicans or Democrats.

You start digging those 6 million graves, I'll start building the "showers"...OK? :disgust:

Future Shock

Trente

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2003
I knew I shouldn't have voted for Kadima. Middle Eastern affairs can not and will never be handled properly with even the slightest spirit of defeatism. Only force will prevail, and where force is not enough - more force is needed.

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Too bad Israel is nothing without United States subsidized military and economic goods.

But at least they can use the billions of dollars far better than Haliburton in Iraq.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
rational? how can you even put that word with plaestinians in the same sentece?
they didn't think of anything when the kiddnaped the kid. they had the chance and they probablly killed him on site.

although the official reason for israel's entrance into the Gaza Strip is to rescue the solder, it's not the main reason. the chance of the solder still being alive is close to none. and due to the crowded conditions of the Gaza strip, israel can't exactly plan a mission to rescue him. i don't even know whether israel even know where the solder is.

the main reason for israel's entrance into the Gaza strip, is to stop the "qasam" rockets that are being fired at S'derot (a city close to the gaza strip).

BTW, since israel blew up the power plant in gaza and the fact the the power plant was insured by an american government agency, and due to the fact that the government is denying any money to the Hamas, it could be a long time until it is repaired. That means that the palestinians will suffer. why did israel do this? because, it is sad, but if the palestinians were to give the solder back alive without israel realsing any prisoners, 90% of the palestinians would see those as traitors. this was done to hopefully create a situation where the people are misrable and so they'll pressure their leaders to give back the solder and to stop this.