Breaking News: Saudis announce first elections

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3188310.stm

Saudi Arabia, an absolute monarchy, has announced it will hold its first council elections in a move seen as the kingdom's first real political reform.
The government decided to "widen the participation of citizens in running local affairs through elections", the state news agency SPA reported.

Half the members of future councils will be elected under the reform.

The kingdom has never had any elections at any level since its creation under the Saud dynasty in 1932.

The council elections are to be held within a year, SPA added.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Czar
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3188310.stm

Saudi Arabia, an absolute monarchy, has announced it will hold its first council elections in a move seen as the kingdom's first real political reform.
The government decided to "widen the participation of citizens in running local affairs through elections", the state news agency SPA reported.

Half the members of future councils will be elected under the reform.

The kingdom has never had any elections at any level since its creation under the Saud dynasty in 1932.

The council elections are to be held within a year, SPA added.

Interesting....

ChrisIsBored

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Riiiiiiiiiiight.... this just in... 99.7% voted in the current political leaders back to power! The other 0.3% have mysteriously died of unknown causes.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: ChrisIsBored
Riiiiiiiiiiight.... this just in... 99.7% voted in the current political leaders back to power! The other 0.3% have mysteriously died of unknown causes.
O ye, of little faith.

This could work out very well (or very badly). Either way, it will be very interesting.

<insert Chinese curse here>

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: ChrisIsBored

i dunno... the first elections in poland had about the same sort of arrangement, and the commies willingly left when not a single one of them was elected in the general election

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Riiiiiiiiiiight.... this just in... 99.7% voted in the current political leaders back to power! The other 0.3% have mysteriously died of unknown causes

I'm willing to give the Saudis more credit than that - they're not completely brainwashed like the North Koreans. For the record, this election is very different than the sham Saddam orchestrated awhile ago. The House of Saud has no intentions of relinquishing control over it's kingdom, but if it says it's willing to allow others to reign at a local level than I say bravo, it's a step in the right direction for them.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Yeah, the important distinction between this and the Polish elections is that the Saudi elections are local ones, not national.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
This is amazing. I would have never thought this could happen. I thought it likely that the saudi royal family would be toppled in an islamic revolution. I hope this works well for them because, let's face it, saudi arabia is the nexus of wellspring of terrorism, not Iraq.

JackStorm

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2003
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
elections by itself doesn't mean much, after all, hitler was elected.

True, but it's a good start. Even if it's just at a local level. And to be honest, doing things like this at a local level is usuly the best (although not the fastest) way for reform or change.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: rjain
Yeah, the important distinction between this and the Polish elections is that the Saudi elections are local ones, not national.

True, but its a start. The first pebble in a landslide?

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
It's a good start, but only the Royal Family knows whether this is just lip service or the start of a real shift in power.