**BREAKING NEWS** No Elections in Iraq this june

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Thats okay, I don't think the terrorists had enough bombs for each election place anyway. Now they'll have more time to make more! :D

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i agree that iraq needs caucus style elections. there would be majority tyranny without it, i think.

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
what no elections wtf, that was a promise form the american administration "we will give Iraq it's freedom and democracy". This is a sad day for the Iraqi people

------------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon XP T-Bred B DLT3C 1700+ @ 2.3GHZ (1.775v) 400FSB = 3200+
Abit NF7-S V.2 (nForce2 U 400)
Corsair TwinX XMS 3200LL 512MB @ 2-3-2-6 (2.6v)
Sapphire Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB
Antec TrueBlue 480W
Thermalright SLK-947U with 92mm Vantec Tornado @2800RPM
Maxtor 91531U3 15GB
2x Western Digital WD400BB 40GB serials
Antec PlusView 1000AMG
Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks THX 550 5.1

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
From the New York Times
<clip>

The chief American administrator in Iraq made it clear today that the United States would not budge on a plan to transfer sovereignty to Iraqis on June 30, but he said that there could be changes in the way an interim government was formed.

The remarks by the administrator, L. Paul Bremer III, drove home the message of the American position on handing back power to the Iraqis on the same day that the secretary general of the United Nations, Kofi Annan, was to meet with his special envoy to Iraq to discuss the country's political future.

There are 133 days before sovereignty returns to an Iraqi government on June 30," Mr. Bremer said at a televised news conference in Iraq. "Changes in the mechanism for forming an interim government are possible. But the date holds. And hold it should."

Mr. Bremer noted that the American coalition officials and the Iraqi governing council agreed on Nov. 15 to return sovereignty to the Iraqis on a certain date, "and we will give it to them."

</clip>

There's more if you care to register and read it.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: MegaWorks
what no elections wtf, that was a promise form the american administration "we will give Iraq it's freedom and democracy". This is a sad day for the Iraqi people

Antec TrueBlue 480W
Maxtor 91531U3 15GB
Antec PlusView 1000AMG

Pull your pants up and learn how to add a 'signature'. We don't care about your 15G hard drive.

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

Antec TrueBlue 480W
Maxtor 91531U3 15GB
Antec PlusView 1000AMG

Pull your pants up and learn how to add a 'signature'. We don't care about your 15G hard drive.

lol!!!!

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
It is impossible to have elections in June.

It is also most likely impossible to turn over power to a real, effective, sovereign Iraqi government in June.

The administration should push back the date, but it is an election year and that won't happen.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Back on the subject of Iraq, here's how it goes from here. We turn power over to the coalition and say we're done. That leaves the responsibility for subsequent screwups in someone's hand other than our administration. American soldiers continue to die. The coalition members start manuevering. Eventually the U.S. has had enough and leaves (although I'm somewhat in doubt about this because of the importance of a Middle Eastern base of operations). Eventually a strong member or group takes over the government. We're back to square one less many billion dollars and many thousand lives. I said this before it started. We do not have the skill, resources, or interest to successfully administer Iraq.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
I read recently that U.S. servicemen there will not be able to vote in November.

Gee, how convenient for Bush.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Ferocious
I read recently that U.S. servicemen there will not be able to vote in November.

They will be able to vote. The Pentagon discarded the crappy internet voting system. Absentee ballots will be available to all servicemen as usual. I expect the president to carry the military vote handily.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

They will be able to vote. The Pentagon discarded the crappy internet voting system. Absentee ballots will be available to all servicemen as usual. I expect the president to carry the military vote handily.

I hope Kerry doesn't pull a Gore, then.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
This is not good news, but it's not a surprise. The election-year influenced deadline was ridiculous to say the least.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

I hope Kerry doesn't pull a Gore, then.

I hope the GI's get their ballots in on time.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It doesn't really matter. Any way you slice it, Iraqis aren't going to accept a Sunni or Kurd as president when they are 60% Shiite. So you can do caucus, direct voting, throw a coin, the result is either going to be a Shiite president, a civil war, or both.

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: SuperTool
It doesn't really matter. Any way you slice it, Iraqis aren't going to accept a Sunni or Kurd as president when they are 60% Shiite. So you can do caucus, direct voting, throw a coin, the result is either going to be a Shiite president, a civil war, or both.

and whats wrong if they vote for a shiite gov. it's democarcy it's there rights to vote and no one should tell them what to do when it comes to democracy

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

yeah, im with you, its a sad day for the iraqi people. lets put saddam back in!
rolleye.gif

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: nick1985

yeah, im with you, its a sad day for the iraqi people. lets put saddam back in!
rolleye.gif

did I say put Saddam in, why I are saying dumb things. I said give them the elections as promised.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Mega, nothings wrong per se if they vote Shiite. The problem is, there isn't any infrastructure laid down. In Western democracies, the winners don't get to make just any law they want to make. There are restrictions that protect the minorities. That's not true in Iraq. I think SuperTool was right in saying "the result is either going to be a Shiite president, a civil war, or both."

They might hocus pocus around for a while with some kind of shared power. But it's going to get uglier.

Where are all those flower throwing, welcoming Iraqis? Remember those discussions?