Breaking News: McCain's speech draws record TV ratings

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Lots of people not turning the channel from the first NFL game of the year????

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I watched it, and I hated it.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
First, I don't think the number of people watching it means anything in terms of voting: watching it doesn't mean I'm going to vote for the guy.

I'm still very surprised though, that 1) the republican convention outdrew the democratic one across all 4 days, and 2) that McCain was able to get more viewers than Obama. I honestly expected the Obama convention to draw 2 x as many viewers since there is the perceived enthusiasm gap.

Surprising, but I don't think makes a difference either way.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm glad a lot of people watched his speech, it wasn't very good. He's a poor speaker.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy
I'm glad a lot of people watched his speech, it wasn't very good. He's a poor speaker.

Neither is Bush, yet somehow he still won. Twice.

sammyunltd

Jul 31, 2004
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
First, I don't think the number of people watching it means anything in terms of voting: watching it doesn't mean I'm going to vote for the guy.

I'm still very surprised though, that 1) the republican convention outdrew the democratic one across all 4 days, and 2) that McCain was able to get more viewers than Obama. I honestly expected the Obama convention to draw 2 x as many viewers since there is the perceived enthusiasm gap.

Surprising, but I don't think makes a difference either way.

Probably a lot of Democrats wanted to watch the man that will steal their much-coveted spot come November.

The momentum's on McCain's side. He is closing in on Obama in polls, has a hot VP (hot in every sense) and is leading a negative campaign that, so far, is working quite well.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: QED

So? I never said poor speakers can't win, are you attempting to argue that his creepy smiling, wooden delivery, and confused looks are beneficial attributes that his campaign would want as many people as possible to see?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
The worst speech by a nominee since Jimmy Carter.

'Nuff said.

Yeah, I'm sure that's how the average non-frothing-at-the-mouth-liberal would view it as well :roll:

His speech was not spectacular, it was not bad either, it was OK. He had a very hard time following up Palin's speech the night before which was very effective (as I'm sure the polls will confirm over the next few days).

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
McCain moved in the opposite direction of the country from 2000-2008, and he is at the wrong place for both times. It's like he took the stairs down while the whole country was taking the elevator up.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Im glad to see soo many people interested in a very important election

that is all these TV viewership numbers really mean.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
Not surprising, lots of people stop to look at an accident.

*snort* So true. I thought the speech was okay, but not "record numbers" worth.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005

So? I never said poor speakers can't win, are you attempting to argue that his creepy smiling, wooden delivery, and confused looks are beneficial attributes that his campaign would want as many people as possible to see?

No. I would venture to say most undecided or unswayed votesr ire probably paying more attention to WHAT he was saying, and not necessarily as much to HOW he was saying it.

Those who are following the election closely and have already picked sides know what he was going to say for the
most part-- so we focus and obsess more heavily on his delivery, his enthusiasm, and (for those really strange weirdos) what pictures were on the jumbotron behind him.

He did miss a golden opportunity, though-- had his speech been anywhere near the level of Palin's it could have sealed the deal. He did still look and sound Presidential (unlike GWB 8 years ago), so by that definition old it wasn't a disaster.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: OrByte

Totally agree.

Perhaps we will have an informed public come election day.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: OrByte

Totally agree.

Perhaps we will have an informed public come election day.

I wouldn't be wishing for that if I were you ...

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
That is surprising. I almost didn't watch it.

I think while McCain didn't wow anybody, nobody expected him to. He reached out to independents, and Palin has reached out to conservatives. The dems have expressed almost no interest in drawing in independents. Obama sure as hell didn't reach out to independents or republicans, and didn't chastise his own party.

I think that McCain/Palin are neck-in-neck with Obama/Biden is no measure of how good of a job they've done, or how crappy the republican party is (because it's definitely bombed IMO), but really is a measure of how crappy the alternative is!

I would also guess that Code Pink added at least 100,000 voters to the roles of McCain/Palin. Idiots. If I had to pull the lever at the moment they pulled those stunts, I would have done (R) in a heartbeat. Jpeyton, et. al are helping me down that path also. I find the far left as repulsive as the far right. But at least in public, the far right has distanced itself from the fringe.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Then again, Bush didn't look like he was about to keel over dead any minute.

He was also running against pretty weak speakers. Gore/Kerry are not charismatic.

And the second time around was as a known incumbent war president, so his speaking ability was irrelevent in 04.

It didn't help him, but it probably didn't hurt him at all either.