Breaking News: McCain slams Bush.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Just broke on CNN a short while ago. In an interview with the Washington Post, McCain came out and slammed Bush. Claims he was against just about everything or anyway Bush did anything. From big government, to the Iraq war, to deficits, to global warming, etc etc.
The linkage is not found. Please help find it.

It truly was a "I was against him, before I was for him, before I was against him' magical moment.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think you're talking about this story from the Washington Times that broke, yesterday.

EXCLUSIVE: McCain lambastes Bush years

'We just let things get completely out of hand'

Joseph Curl (Contact) and Stephen Dinan (Contact)
Thursday, October 23, 2008

NEWSMAKER INTERVIEW:

ABOARD THE STRAIGHT TALK AIR ? Sen. John McCain on Wednesday blasted President Bush for building a mountain of debt for future generations, failing to pay for expanding Medicare and abusing executive powers, leveling his strongest criticism to date of an administration whose unpopularity may be dragging the Republican Party to the brink of a massive electoral defeat.

"We just let things get completely out of hand," he said of his own party's rule in the past eight years.

In an interview with The Washington Times, Mr. McCain lashed out at a litany of Bush policies and issues that he said he would have handled differently as president, days after a poll showed that he began making up ground on Sen. Barack Obama since he emphatically sought to distance himself from Mr. Bush in the final debate.

"Spending, the conduct of the war in Iraq for years, growth in the size of government, larger than any time since the Great Society, laying a $10 trillion debt on future generations of America, owing $500 billion to China, obviously, failure to both enforce and modernize the [financial] regulatory agencies that were designed for the 1930s and certainly not for the 21st century, failure to address the issue of climate change seriously," Mr. McCain said in an interview with The Washington Times aboard his campaign plane en route from New Hampshire to Ohio.

"Those are just some of them," he said with a laugh, chomping into a peanut butter sandwich as a few campaign aides in his midair office joined in the laughter.
(continues)

"I voted 90% of the time with that idiot I just tossed under the bus.

I'm John McCain, and I approve this message."

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Ehhhh is this really breaking news? McCain is down because of Bush... why would he not slam him.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey
I think you're talking about this story from the Washington Times that broke, yesterday.

EXCLUSIVE: McCain lambastes Bush years

'We just let things get completely out of hand'

Joseph Curl (Contact) and Stephen Dinan (Contact)
Thursday, October 23, 2008

NEWSMAKER INTERVIEW:

ABOARD THE STRAIGHT TALK AIR ? Sen. John McCain on Wednesday blasted President Bush for building a mountain of debt for future generations, failing to pay for expanding Medicare and abusing executive powers, leveling his strongest criticism to date of an administration whose unpopularity may be dragging the Republican Party to the brink of a massive electoral defeat.

"We just let things get completely out of hand," he said of his own party's rule in the past eight years.

In an interview with The Washington Times, Mr. McCain lashed out at a litany of Bush policies and issues that he said he would have handled differently as president, days after a poll showed that he began making up ground on Sen. Barack Obama since he emphatically sought to distance himself from Mr. Bush in the final debate.

"Spending, the conduct of the war in Iraq for years, growth in the size of government, larger than any time since the Great Society, laying a $10 trillion debt on future generations of America, owing $500 billion to China, obviously, failure to both enforce and modernize the [financial] regulatory agencies that were designed for the 1930s and certainly not for the 21st century, failure to address the issue of climate change seriously," Mr. McCain said in an interview with The Washington Times aboard his campaign plane en route from New Hampshire to Ohio.

"Those are just some of them," he said with a laugh, chomping into a peanut butter sandwich as a few campaign aides in his midair office joined in the laughter
(continues)

"I voted 90% of the time with that idiot I just tossed under the bus.

I'm John McCain, and I approve this message."

Thanks, I mis-heard it as the Washington Post and that is why teh google failed me......

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
What a back stabber. This guy will do anything to get elected, including saying fuck it to pride and honor.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
It's just not going to fly. Obama has that ad up with McCain talking about how proud he was to help Bush get elected and re-elected and how he bragged about voting with Bush over 90% of the time. Sorry Mac.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
He definitely was against him...,10% of the time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That sadly sums it up. I long ago posted that McCain had to push GWB to the curb, and take charge of the republican party after he locked up the nomination.

And with two weeks to go this is far far far too little far far far too late.

But McCain's worst enemy has always been GWB, and now GWB is the real agent that will deny the McCain dream of taking POTUS.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
He is one confused man. It's like he loves Bush.

Also, from factcheck:
Obama surrogates also frequently say McCain voted with Bush 95 percent of the time. This is a reference to the Republican senator's record in 2007. That was the highest percentage in the seven years studied. In 2005, McCain voted with Bush 77 percent of the time ? his lowest percentage in those years. "The president and I agree on most issues," McCain said in a May 22, 2003 interview on Fox's "Your World with Neil Cavuto." "There was a recent study that showed that I voted with the president over 90 percent of the time, higher than a lot of my even Republican colleagues."

Now you're telling me he hates him? In 2007 they were pals 95% of the time! /cries a river of Republican tears

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
GOP getting desperate here. McCain is starting to flip flop worse than a fish out of water.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
haha, he did hate bush, damn near 11% of the time. And yes this is a feeble play on red's joke.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
If he was going to do it, he should of done it when he decided to run for President, not a couple of weeks before the vote.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
agree with last poster - he should have done this from day 1 of his campaign

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
haha, he did hate bush, damn near 11% of the time. And yes this is a feeble play on red's joke.

god damn the US-of-KKK-A where the senate votes on thousands of meaningless procedural shit every day :p

it's a hard line to walk for McCain -- he needs Bush's 25% to win, so he can't alienate them too much or they'll just stay home, but there's no real way to appeal to centrists when the sitting president is so wildly unpopular.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
He should be slamming Palin.

OH wait, that's how she got the job :)

Maybe he could do an ad based on the Old John McCain versus the New John McCain?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Corbett

Better than Obama being against his party 3% of the time.
Well keep in mind that McCain is saying that Bush fans like you are morons and in that content I have to agree with him.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Well keep in mind that McCain is saying that Bush fans like you are morons and in that content I have to agree with him.

Considering you believe anyone that doesn't hate Bush as much as you is a "Bush Fan", well, its no wonder you call me that.

Caecus Veritas

Mar 20, 2006

um... obama is not the one coming out right now slamming his own party. don't try to change the subject, which is the fact that:

McCain voted for and stood with Bush in 2007 when he politically needed bush. Publicly said it as much.

McCain is now saying bush is all wrong.

Political convenience seems to trump any value he holds.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Caecus Veritas

um... obama is not the one coming out right now slamming his own party. don't try to change the subject, which is the fact that:

McCain voted for and stood with Bush in 2007 when he politically needed bush. Publicly said it as much.

McCain is now saying bush is all wrong.

Political convenience seems to trump any value he holds.

Exactly. Obama has NEVER come out and slammed his own party. McCain has done it plenty of times. Who's the one that reaches across party lines again?