Breaking News From Hawaii Island: Lava fissure and fountain opens in neighborhood

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Clearly the devil needed to get to earth's surface in order to re-unite with Donald Trump

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Up to seven fissures now open in the area. Looks like things are ramping up instead of cooling down. I hope folks over there are all cleared out by now. Good thing is still no lives lost thanks to slow moving lava.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yesterday one of the reports said the lava lake in the Kilauea crater had drained. That lava had to go somewhere.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Note to news anchors and reporters: when there is a volcano erupting, nobody wants to see video of your face.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Would love if would leave out the 1/4 of the screen banners when they run video. They were showing it crawling down the road saying looks at it on the road all I saw was freaking banners!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
volcano-smile-Paradise-Helicopters.jpg

The volcano means no harm.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Here's a question I didn't see addressed: What are those new fissures going to do to homeowners whose houses were not destroyed? Since future eruptions tend to follow past eruptions those neighborhoods are now hot spots where nobody is going to be able to live even if this outbreak stops without getting worse. Leaving near a volcano is one thing, living directly on top of an active fissure is quite another. I know people in volcano zones pay a hefty premium on their insurance and their houses will be covered if lost. Are their houses covered if not destroyed, but devalued to essentially zero? Are people whose houses were lost able to recoup their actual property value for their lots being inhabitable or will they only get what the physical house replacement value is and lose the equity in the property itself?

Anyone here from Hawaii that carries volcano insurance on their homes that can shed some light on this?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Why not watch it?

Well this part caught my ears :

https://youtu.be/k0tnqPmwWvk?t=290

Which leads up to :

https://youtu.be/k0tnqPmwWvk?t=329

Keywords : There have been many extinctions.... .... ....lets hope that doesnt happen anytime soon.

I never had a favorite youtuber before but I think I have one now with "Physics Girl", just stumbled upon her video while googling up what and how about this phenomena.

Wait a minute, I havent booked a holiday trip yet ... I am thinking there may be deals to be made from panicking tourists abandoning their trips? Gonna look into that :).

Last edited: