Breaking News From Hawaii Island: Lava fissure and fountain opens in neighborhood

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
FYI:

Happened about 1/2 hr. ago in a residential area, evacuations started but many coming home from work are unaware that the fissure opened up in their neighborhood. Evacuation centers are starting to open up but many in the neighborhood are elderly and may not know the lava flow is heading toward their homes.

I'll update as needed.

edit - Emergency sirens in the area now being activated many returning from work are not able to access their homes to evacuate belongings.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
They were having earthquakes for days. Kilauea tried to warn them.

Precisely. I guess those folks were thinking the breakout would start higher up on the slopes where most other fissures opened and then flowed down the mountain side in slo-mo giving residents time to evacuate in less frantic pace.

Sometimes not lucky to live in Hawaii.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
6:15 PM - National Guard activated, State assistance to Hawaii Island County being geared up.

Cracks in the roads earlier in the day and cracks appearing in residents driveways and garages was first physical signs of imminent eruption in the area. Small earthquake felt by residents just before fissure opened. Strong sulfur smell now permeating the neighborhood.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
6:50 PM - Evacuations now in progress, access to certain areas of the neighborhood allowed. No new fissures detected but possibility is high.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Good thing Hawaii's volcano(s?) don't explode.

So true. It's called "pahoehoe" lava flow so typical of the type found on Hawaii Island. It's more so the proximity of the originating fissure to homes that's the problem. Madam Pele at work, expressing herself in a particularly intimate kind of way this time around.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Found one of an overhead of the fissure. Looks like a cartoon. Man nature is something.

https://twitter.com/hawaiinewsnow/status/992253395669954562

Some of the comments are funny...
wonder what the name of that road is?
Closed indefinitely.

We could appease the Great Lava God by offering to sacrifice Sarah Sanders and throw her in.
That wouldn't work...such a sacrifice requires a virgin...

We looked at houses for sale just a few miles away from this subdivision. (about halfway between Leilani Estates and Hilo) The "catchment water" issue kept us from getting too seriously interested. Nice places...and if they'd been connected to city water, we might have bought there. We always knew there was the possibility of another eruption...like this.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Two weeks ago USGS warned that an eruption was likely based upon the surface activity in the crater so here we are. When you have a known variable such as this why tempt fate by getting too close to it?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Plus...apparently they’re concerned about Mauna Loa as well...recent rumblings and earthquakes COULD signal an impending eruption there as well...

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Third fissure erupted in the neighborhood. Evacuations still ongoing in less impacted areas. Sulfur fumes at highly dangerous levels.

So it's a crap shoot for whose homes are going to get consumed as locations of random fissure openings are unpredictable from where the first one started.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
A volcanic vent opening in my yard would be sooooo cool! :)
“Frodo” said:
2109664.jpg

It would have saved me a fucking trip to Mordor!

:D

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Which island is 'Hawaii Island'?

I know I can Google it, but I figure it's good to have it answered here.

And I'm too busy and/or lazy to search.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Molten lava ~

One person has survived falling into much cooler lava in Tanzania in 2007, according to field reports from the Smithsonian. That lava was less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, though, and the person who survived was still recovering and in pain more than five months later.