Breaking in headphones

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Do they have to be at a high volume to break in headphones ? Also about how long does it take to break in headphones please? Thanks

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I think that speaker/headphone break-in is largely a myth, and any mechanical changes that might occur to the drivers are so minuscule you won't even notice them. Of course, your headphones will sound different between the first time listening to them and maybe a week later, but that's just because your ears are getting used to them. IMO, just listen to them as you normally do without any special procedures and let them naturally "break in". There's lots of placebo-effect in the audio world.

I've seen recommendations to run a sweep or pink noise continuously for at least 50 hours. If you're set on this, I'd advise against running them at a higher level than what you usually listen at - you don't want to crank the volume to the max and risk blowing them out.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Break in is a myth and a joke and I laugh at people who do this, laugh I say!

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Break in is a myth and a joke and I laugh at people who do this, laugh I say!

Driver parameters do change once the suspension components are used for a bit. This is factual information. I'm not sure if you are stating nothing changes or directing your thoughts about the sound of a driver changing.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Driver parameters do change once the suspension components are used for a bit. This is factual information. I'm not sure if you are stating nothing changes or directing your thoughts about the sound of a driver changing.
It is not factual and myth. There is no standard evidence in the industry. I've worked in the industry for well over 20 years.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Uh, do a search on driver break in on Google and you'll find multiple companies who actually produce speakers show physical evidence of the change in T/S parameters. To say it doesn't exist and then claim you work in the industry is just silly. That's like saying an engine doesn't break in. Does it actually produce a difference in sound? That's subjective but parameter changes is not.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Uh, do a search on driver break in on Google and you'll find multiple companies who actually produce speakers show physical evidence of the change in T/S parameters. To say it doesn't exist and then claim you work in the industry is just silly. That's like saying an engine doesn't break in. Does it actually produce a difference in sound? That's subjective but parameter changes is not.
But the whole point is to HEAR the changes in sound, which is not proven. Using a scope to measure means squat if you cannot hear the difference. Googling also "proves" this.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I still say burn in is a result of your ears getting used to the sound. The same pair of headphones will sound different on different days, depending on how clean you keep your ears, how you're feeling, sinuses, etc. You'll get far more of an improvement in sound if you clean out your ears regularly than spending 50 hours burning them in and/or buying exotic cables.

And the drivers will certainly undergo mechanical changes as they are used, but I'd be willing to bet anything that your average person (or any person for that matter) will not be able to detect those mechanical changes as changes in sound.

Reactions: Oyeve

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I still say burn in is a result of your ears getting used to the sound. The same pair of headphones will sound different on different days, depending on how clean you keep your ears, how you're feeling, sinuses, etc. You'll get far more of an improvement in sound if you clean out your ears regularly than spending 50 hours burning them in and/or buying exotic cables.

And the drivers will certainly undergo mechanical changes as they are used, but I'd be willing to bet anything that your average person (or any person for that matter) will not be able to detect those mechanical changes as changes in sound.
Agreed.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
If a person asks about burn in(not break in since this has post has evolved) I always suggest it, especially on headphones. If a person is posing the question of a possible benefit and it's easy to achieve the process, then follow through is desirable. It doesn't matter if there is any positive result or not. In the persons mind there is potential for change and they should gain experience to form their own opinions. Headphones are easy to burn in as you can you hit 50+ hours just while they're idling and they won't disturb anyone. Burning in full size drivers is something else though.

Now, again going back to actual perceived changes in sound. Echoic memory lasts seconds. It's a contributing factor why nearly all people have trouble performing A/B/X MP3 vs some high quality file. The following is my opinion. Small changes in the drivers response, even if present aren't something you can recall seconds later let alone hours or days. So of course you won't notice realistic changes in the drivers sound. Though, is it really a big deal if someone wants to do it?