BREAKING: Five Students Shot at Ohio High School

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Since when? I haven't seen Ausm say anything rational for as long as I can remember. He's a drooling imbecile as near as I can figure.

At least I am a "drooling imbecile" that has a job and doesn't whore off the Gubermint that I constantly cut down......fucking Hypocrite.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
LMAO!!!!!! @ Ausm's flamebait attempt!!!!! Even people the left are calling you on the tasteless, dishonest attempt to turn a tragic event into a politically biased thread.

Come on man cut me some slack here...I am bored at work between programming and figuring out problems for people who are to fucking stupid to fix shit.

Last edited:

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
No, that means only criminals are allowed to have guns on the premise.

So? Does that mean if they ban assault rifles or RPGs or nuclear weapons your response will be "No, that means only criminals are allowed to have **** on the premise."? And, according to that logic, everyone should be allowed to carry such weapons on the premise?

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Given how stupid the average teenager is, and how mean they are to each other, the only thing that surprises me is how these shootings have claimed so few victims. Given the overall level of mental sickness in society I would expect at least 1000+ school shooting type deaths per year. These are kids lashing out against a world they see as totally broken and absurd, and it keeps happening again and again because our culture is sick and dying and indeed broken and absurd.

Perfect example is presidential politics. People let themselves get ripped off and robbed and then they go and vote for the same people who ripped them off and robbed them. Over and over again they do this, and are going to do it yet again in 8 months. But you're a kook if you point any of this out? lol. And oh yeah, your alternative is "unelectable". Pathetic.

Another example is all this smartphone braindead nonsense. How many people buy things like garage door opener apps? How much time is wasted trying to dream up some crap like that, and for what? To save the 26 seconds a week it takes to find your garage door opener and click the button? Really? We are really so dumb as to waste minutes or even tens of minutes a week on some stupid garbage phone app to supposedly "save time"? It cant possibly get more clear than that. It is mass dimentia, mass psychosis. Teenagers have epiphany moments where they see this mass delusion very clearly, and they dont know how to deal with what they are seeing. It produces a visceral response which only adds to whatever malaise they are already experiencing. We are indeed in deep trouble, and if we dont start figuring this out we're going to have a lot worse things to deal with than school shootings.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Coming from someone who is barely bright enough to pound sand that's quite hilarious...

Ya.... You're the idiot who thinks gun laws would have prevented this. What color is the sky in your world?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Ya.... You're the idiot who thinks gun laws would have prevented this. What color is the sky in your world?

gun laws don't work because state lines are easily crossed. To a lesser extent, the same is true with our borders.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
gun laws don't work because state lines are easily crossed. To a lesser extent, the same is true with our borders.

No, gun laws don't work because people that are going to shoot someone don't care if there is a law saying they can't use a gun to do it.

The entire idea that gun laws are going to stop people who by definition do not follow the law is absurd.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
No, gun laws don't work because people that are going to shoot someone don't care if there is a law saying they can't use a gun to do it.

The entire idea that gun laws are going to stop people who by definition do not follow the law is absurd.

lol. That's not why they don't work. They don't work because the criminals have easy access to them. This is not difficult to comprehend. If someone does not have access to a gun they will use something else, usually less deadly, like a fist or a hammer. Either way, the victim has a higher chance of survival as opposed to easy access to a weapon.

May 16, 2000
Just the k-12 part and not the whole history. Thank you very much!

In some states there are ironclad restrictions on firearms in K-12, except by active security or active duty law enforcement. In others there are loopholes, or private school exemptions, or any number of other factors. Last I checked there were 7 states that had no specific restrictions beyond the federal statutes. There's at least one district in Texas that specifically authorizes carry in k-12, and unless that part was amended or changed the Utah statute allows it as well (by adults otherwise able to carry). I should point out that I've heard numerous stories of other specific schools or districts allowing it, but I haven't been able to confirm them yet. With more than 14,000 public school districts I just can't keep up with them all...especially unpaid with no staff.

Federally it is generally prohibited, but there are a number of exceptions:
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is--
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone
and the individual or an employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

So there's any number of ways around school carry prohibitions. I would agree that it is rare in the last 20 years to see many of them taken advantage of, but they DO exist.

Any other questions, just ask.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
In some states there are ironclad restrictions on firearms in K-12, except by active security or active duty law enforcement. In others there are loopholes, or private school exemptions, or any number of other factors. Last I checked there were 7 states that had no specific restrictions beyond the federal statutes. There's at least one district in Texas that specifically authorizes carry in k-12, and unless that part was amended or changed the Utah statute allows it as well (by adults otherwise able to carry). I should point out that I've heard numerous stories of other specific schools or districts allowing it, but I haven't been able to confirm them yet. With more than 14,000 public school districts I just can't keep up with them all...especially unpaid with no staff.

Federally it is generally prohibited, but there are a number of exceptions:
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is--
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone
and the individual or an employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

So there's any number of ways around school carry prohibitions. I would agree that it is rare in the last 20 years to see many of them taken advantage of, but they DO exist.

Any other questions, just ask.

Thank you very much for this definitive answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.