Breaking a Lease Based on a Noisy Neighbor

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Basically, I can hear every single step my upstairs neighbor takes. It's getting to the point where I'm losing sleep over it. Last night, he must've been pacing from 10pm-2am. If it were a subtle creaking, I wouldn't care, but this sh!t is pretty loud. I want to get a decible meter just so I can let the landlord know.

It's not the guy's fault. It's not like I can go to him and say "yeah, can you stop walking in your apartment, please?" I think it's just poor construction on these typical Florida apartments.

How hard would it be to get out of a lease based on this? How should I approach management? I have 7 months left, pay my rent early, no complaints thus far, etc..

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
I'm not sure, but I'm in a similar situation, but the roles are reversed. My roommate walks on his heals, so he hits the floor hard when he walks. Our old neighbor below hates it and has told him to walk around quietly. He's been doing a good job, but he can still walk loudly.

Maybe you could move to a different place in the apartment?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I had the same problem in an apartment I lived in years ago... I moved out when the lease was up for that & other reasons however I don't know if its a viable reason to break your lease. I do remember that my lease stated that between 10pm & 7am was called "quiet - consideration time" & one of the things you couldn't do during those hours was walk around excessively.

The only real solution is to choose an apartment building with cement floors next time.