"Brazilian student" in US busted as Russian Spy after applying for job with the ICC

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Though not talked about much, the GRU has been working overtime in espinoge against the west. Here is an interesting story:

No paywall

Snip-​
His real name is Sergey Cherkasov and he had spent nearly a decade building the fictitious Ferreira persona, according to officials and court records. His “team” was a tight circle of Russian handlers suddenly poised to have a deep-cover spy in the U.S. capital, positioned to forge connections in every corner of the American security establishment, from the State Department to the CIA.​
Using the access he gained during his two years in Washington, Cherkasov filed reports to his bosses in Russia’s military intelligence service, the GRU, on how senior officials in the Biden administration were responding to the Russian military buildup before the war in Ukraine, according to an FBI affidavit.​
After he graduated, he came close to achieving a more consequential penetration when he was offered a position at the International Criminal Court in The Hague. He was due to start a six-month internship there last year — just as the court began investigating Russian war crimes in Ukraine — only to be turned away by Dutch authorities acting on information relayed by the FBI, according to Western security officials. Officials in the Netherlands put him on a plane back to Brazil, where he was arrested upon landing and is now serving a 15-year prison sentence for document fraud related to his fake identity.​
The details that have since emerged provide extraordinary visibility into highly cloaked aspects of Russian intelligence, including the Kremlin’s almost obsessive effort to infiltrate Western targets with “illegals” — spies who operate as lone agents with no discernible link to their home service — rather than diplomats with the legal protections that come with working out of an embassy.​
The best part of the story is how for all these years he kept his fully detailed (and flawed) cover story on his computer.

One of the more bizarre pieces of evidence to emerge in the case is a rambling four-page document found on Cherkasov’s computer that is written in Portuguese and reads like the notes of an actor trying to familiarize himself with a part.​
“I am Victor Muller Ferreira,” it begins, before unspooling a contrived hard-luck story sprinkled with random details. He describes his aversion to the smell of fish near a bridge in Rio de Janeiro, and a pinup poster of Pamela Anderson in a mechanic’s shop where he supposedly worked.​
Other passages seem to anticipate suspicion about his blond hair and puzzling accent, rehearsing ways to deflect such attention by claiming German ancestry and long stretches out of the country during which his Portuguese skills declined.​
“My fellow pupils often used to joke about my looks and my accent,” it says about his days at schools he never truly attended. “They called me ‘beloved patriot.’ That is why I did not have many friends.”​
On its own, the clunky script reflects a lack of professional polish. The fact that he was still carrying it with him on a laptop a decade later, according to the FBI affidavit, is a startling breach of operational security.​
In some ways, shoddy discipline has become a signature of Cherkasov’s alleged employer. In recent years, GRU operatives have seemed to make little effort to cover their tracks in brazen operations including the hacking of Democratic National Committee computers in 2015, the poisoning of Russian defector and former spy Sergei Skripal in England in 2018, and the attempted assassination of Russian dissident Alexei Navalny nearly three years ago.​
Despite the tradecraft lapses, Cherkasov made remarkably swift progress toward his goal of infiltrating Western institutions.​

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Though not talked about much, the GRU has been working overtime in espinoge against the west. Here is an interesting story:

No paywall

Snip-​
His real name is Sergey Cherkasov and he had spent nearly a decade building the fictitious Ferreira persona, according to officials and court records. His “team” was a tight circle of Russian handlers suddenly poised to have a deep-cover spy in the U.S. capital, positioned to forge connections in every corner of the American security establishment, from the State Department to the CIA.​
Using the access he gained during his two years in Washington, Cherkasov filed reports to his bosses in Russia’s military intelligence service, the GRU, on how senior officials in the Biden administration were responding to the Russian military buildup before the war in Ukraine, according to an FBI affidavit.​
After he graduated, he came close to achieving a more consequential penetration when he was offered a position at the International Criminal Court in The Hague. He was due to start a six-month internship there last year — just as the court began investigating Russian war crimes in Ukraine — only to be turned away by Dutch authorities acting on information relayed by the FBI, according to Western security officials. Officials in the Netherlands put him on a plane back to Brazil, where he was arrested upon landing and is now serving a 15-year prison sentence for document fraud related to his fake identity.​
The details that have since emerged provide extraordinary visibility into highly cloaked aspects of Russian intelligence, including the Kremlin’s almost obsessive effort to infiltrate Western targets with “illegals” — spies who operate as lone agents with no discernible link to their home service — rather than diplomats with the legal protections that come with working out of an embassy.​
The best part of the story is how for all these years he kept his fully detailed (and flawed) cover story on his computer.

One of the more bizarre pieces of evidence to emerge in the case is a rambling four-page document found on Cherkasov’s computer that is written in Portuguese and reads like the notes of an actor trying to familiarize himself with a part.​
“I am Victor Muller Ferreira,” it begins, before unspooling a contrived hard-luck story sprinkled with random details. He describes his aversion to the smell of fish near a bridge in Rio de Janeiro, and a pinup poster of Pamela Anderson in a mechanic’s shop where he supposedly worked.​
Other passages seem to anticipate suspicion about his blond hair and puzzling accent, rehearsing ways to deflect such attention by claiming German ancestry and long stretches out of the country during which his Portuguese skills declined.​
“My fellow pupils often used to joke about my looks and my accent,” it says about his days at schools he never truly attended. “They called me ‘beloved patriot.’ That is why I did not have many friends.”​
On its own, the clunky script reflects a lack of professional polish. The fact that he was still carrying it with him on a laptop a decade later, according to the FBI affidavit, is a startling breach of operational security.​
In some ways, shoddy discipline has become a signature of Cherkasov’s alleged employer. In recent years, GRU operatives have seemed to make little effort to cover their tracks in brazen operations including the hacking of Democratic National Committee computers in 2015, the poisoning of Russian defector and former spy Sergei Skripal in England in 2018, and the attempted assassination of Russian dissident Alexei Navalny nearly three years ago.​
Despite the tradecraft lapses, Cherkasov made remarkably swift progress toward his goal of infiltrating Western institutions.​

Maybe the should do a deep check of Santos.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
US intelligence has 100% PWNed Russian intelligence at this point and is just rubbing their faces in it.

Even more entertainingly, they gave him a high level position at the US capital for two years, feeding him information they want the GRU to have. The used him as an asset, and then the moment he became a liability dump him straight into the notorious Brazilian prison system. Somebody had a personal grudge against one Sergey Cherkasov.

Remember, he could have been tried in the Netherlands, that would have made sense, that was where he was "caught". Those prisons are all roses and daisies though.
The US could have tried him to, despite their reputation prisons here are just kind of boring.

Now the Brazilian prison system, that, that is hell on earth. Someone likely had to cover for Sergey's "excesses" to keep using him as an asset for the "greater" good while he was in the US. That someone likely pulled every favor they had to make sure one Sergey Cherkasov ended up in Brazilian hell.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
US intelligence has 100% PWNed Russian intelligence at this point and is just rubbing their faces in it.

Even more entertainingly, they gave him a high level position at the US capital for two years, feeding him information they want the GRU to have. The used him as an asset, and then the moment he became a liability dump him straight into the notorious Brazilian prison system. Somebody had a personal grudge against one Sergey Cherkasov.

Remember, he could have been tried in the Netherlands, that would have made sense, that was where he was "caught". Those prisons are all roses and daisies though.
The US could have tried him to, despite their reputation prisons here are just kind of boring.

Now the Brazilian prison system, that, that is hell on earth. Someone likely had to cover for Sergey's "excesses" to keep using him as an asset for the "greater" good while he was in the US. That someone likely pulled every favor they had to make sure one Sergey Cherkasov ended up in Brazilian hell.

I just like how his reports to his handlers about the pre-invasion work up from the US was based only on his previous professor's speculations about the situation--not direct intelligence from the administration or defense or intelligence agencies in the gov. He told his people this was from his "contacts," and his GRU handlers just believed him, and they were completely wrong about all of the likely US response.

And I recall that this was basically Russia's expectations going into the invasion, and recently reading that this was based on the same bits of intelligence that they had been gathering. Makes me wonder if the US and allies already knew all of these chumbawumbas for years and were just feeding them bad intel for shits and giggles (Well, more than just shits and giggles, obviously). I also wonder how it's possible that Russian agents have fallen so miserably in effectiveness over recent decades, or if the reality is that they were always pretty shitty at this despite what our film and media stories have lead us to believe about their skills over these many decades.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Russia arrested an American WSJ reporter on suspicion of espionage today. All over the news.

Reactions: zinfamous