Brazil, Europe plan undersea cable to prevent U.S. spying

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/brazil-presse...7--finance.html;_ylt=AwrTWfz.cAtT4nwACq3QtDMD

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Brazil and the European Union agreed on Monday to lay an undersea communications cable from Lisbon to Fortaleza to reduce Brazil's reliance on the United States after Washington spied on Brasilia.
At the cost of $185 million. Pocket change. I imagine the seas are going to be seeing a lot more cable being run in the near future.

Brazil relies on U.S. undersea cables to carry almost all of its communications to Europe. The existing cable between Europe and Brazil is outdated and only used for voice transmission.

EU leaders are sympathetic to Brazil's call following the revelations of fugitive former NSA contractor Edward Snowden that showed the agency also eavesdropped on German Chancellor Angela Merkel's mobile phone and some EU institutions.

U.S. President Barack Obama has since banned spying on the leaders of close allies, but trust has been damaged.

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
$185 mil seems like chump change for this.

If our greedbag govt proposed something like this, it'd be 185B each year for 15-20 years.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
that won`t happen...we will find a way to tap into that cable....good example -- the cold war or ww2..lolol

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Interesting map

underwater-internet-cable-map.jpg

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
That actually sounds relatively cheap, I'm surprised they haven't done this already. Of course I'm sure the cable will be tapped along the way, so it really doesn't do much of anything to keep prying eyes away.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Yep, send out the Jimmy Carter.

I know a few guys who have been on one. There's a section so top secret, not even ay of the ship yard workers or engineers were allowed on after a certain point in time.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Does trans-oceanic fiber require electronic repeating?

I'm led to believe that the signals use photonic repeaters every 50-100 km, typically erbium-doped fiber amplifiers (EDFA).

The amplifiers do need power though. Although EDFAs are laser powered, it's not practical to transmit the high laser power needed via long optical fibers, so typically a high-power (1-5W) driver laser is incorporated in the EDFA modules and powered by an electrical cable run along with the optical fibers.