Brazen Al Qaeda attack kills 30

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
How do you kill for the sake of killing? I know they've done this in the past but attacking a funeral his extremely cold and shrewd. This terror organization really is ruthless. I'd hate to be captured by them

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7352093.stm

Many mourners killed by Iraq bomb

At least 30 people have been killed and many wounded in a suicide attack on a crowd of mourners in Iraq.

The attacker detonated his explosives in the Sunni village of Bu Mohammed, near the city of Baquba, north of the capital, Baghdad.

Officials said the funeral was for two members of a local group who had died fighting al-Qaeda in Iraq militants.

There have been a number of attacks in northern Iraq this week, with more than 50 people killed in Baquba on Tuesday.

After the apparent successes of the US troop surge and local groups taking on al-Qaeda, the number of deaths from insurgent attacks has been rising over recent months.

The monthly figure of people killed rose by 50% in March compared with the previous month, according to the Iraqi government.

A witness to Thursday's blast, Imad Abdullah al-Azzawi, told the AFP news agency that the bomber blew himself up inside a mourning tent.

"There are bodies and body parts scattered everywhere. There is blood everywhere," he said.

Another witness, Ali Khalaf, told the Reuters news agency: "Suddenly a fireball filled the funeral tent. I fell to the ground. I saw bodies scattered everywhere."

Earlier reports suggested the death toll was as high as 45.

The funeral was for two brothers said to be leading figures in the Sunni Awakening Council.

Some members of the Sunni community in the area have joined the movement, which works alongside the Americans and Iraqi government to fight al-Qaeda-linked insurgents.

The authorities say the insurgents are operating in the Baquba area after being forced out of Baghdad and the western province of Anbar.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari
Officials said the funeral was for two members of a local group who had died fighting al-Qaeda in Iraq militants.

Seems like they they very shrewd no doubt... that is the same thing gangbangers would do here if there weren't enough cops to catch them all and jail them for life