Bravo to the man that won 40M and is giving it away

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/1...otto-winner-plans-to-give-fortune-to-charity/

This man won the 40M jackpot and is planning to give it all to charity. Bravo, Tom Christ. I salute you.

CALGARY — A Calgary man who won $40 million says he will donate it all to charity.
Tom Crist was the winner of the Lotto Max jackpot on May 3.
“Cancer is a big one because my wife passed away from cancer, two years ago in February,” Crist said Monday.
“I just retired at the end of September so I was fortunate enough in my career to set myself up and my kids anyway, and there was no doubt in my mind where that money was going to go, it was going to go to charity.”

Crist told the Calgary Herald that he didn’t know which charities he planned to give to specifically except for Tom Baker Cancer Centre.
Crist’s wife, Jan, died of lung cancer in 2012.
“Tom Baker will be one of them because they treated her,” Crist told the Herald.
“Tom Baker’s dear to my heart, no question.”
Crist didn’t tell any of his four children that he won the $40-million until Monday and they will now help him with the charities.
“It’s just going to unfold next year, so we’ll decide as a family what we’re going to do and how we’re going to do it,” he told the Herald.
“The nice part is you can keep donating for years and years. It’ll be in my family trust … and we’ll just carry on.”
Crist plays both Lotto Max and Lotto 6/49 by subscription, meaning players can pay for their selections for up to a year at a time.
Subscribers’ numbers are checked for them by the Western Canada Lottery Corp. after each draw and they are automatically paid any prizes won.
In the case of any prize over $10,000, subscribers receive a telephone call first.

Crist says he never expected a call telling him he’d won the largest lotto prize ever in Calgary.
“I wasn’t even sure which game I’d won on, or what the numbers were,” he said after his prize was announced Monday. “I’ve paid for the subscription when I get the renewal notice every year, and then I just file it.
“Sometimes I’d get a cheque for $10 or $20, but I never expected this.”
Crist’s prize is also the largest won on a lottery subscription within the Prairie-North lotteries region.

Last edited:

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Crist says he never expected a call telling him he&#8217;d won the largest lotto prize ever in Calgary. &#8220;I wasn&#8217;t even sure which game I&#8217;d won on, or what the numbers were,&#8221; he said after his prize was announced Monday. &#8220;I&#8217;ve paid for the subscription when I get the renewal notice every year, and then I just file it. Sometimes I&#8217;d get a cheque for $10 or $20, but I never expected this.&#8221;

So what... you buy a subscription to the lottery and then they roll numbers for you every game and let you know if you've won? What's the fun of that? I mean, other than the whole "winning 40 mil" thing. That sounds pretty fun.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Good for him. But really, really stupid to pubically say he didn't know which charities to give to-he is going to be pestered by every wannabe charity from now till the end of time.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So what... you buy a subscription to the lottery and then they roll numbers for you every game and let you know if you've won? What's the fun of that? I mean, other than the whole "winning 40 mil" thing. That sounds pretty fun.

It's fun for the lottery corp since it is a steady income stream.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Good for him. But really, really stupid to pubically say he didn't know which charities to give to-he is going to be pestered by every wannabe charity from now till the end of time.

People answer phone calls from strangers??? :confused:

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
I'm sure charity will take MOST of that money and small portion will go where he really wants it to go.

Charity = business

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Susan G. Komen® has a strike force on a pink UH-60 Black Hawk vectoring in now.

60% to administrative overhead.
30% to educating the public that boobies can get cancer. (AKA branding for profit deals)
10% at the most to helping women with cancer.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
If was well off, why play the lotto at all? Especially in subscription mode.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

30% to educating the public that boobies can get cancer. (AKA branding for profit deals)

Hey, sounds like Wounded Warrior Project! :\

Most charities go that way, real quick. They start out as what we think of them, then they balloon in size, and everything changes.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
After taxes, he might get 20M..
Highly doubt he's donating all. I'm sure his kids want some share..

:wub:

In Canada he gets 40M, that is the post tax amount. Basically all lottery winnings in Canada is the amount advertised, in lump sum. None of the annuity bullshit.

Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Unpublished number going forward...profit. Or a simple 'do not call list'.

He definitely has to be careful though.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
wow at least save some fun money for the kiddos.

“I just retired at the end of September so I was fortunate enough in my career to set myself up and my kids anyway, and there was no doubt in my mind where that money was going to go, it was going to go to charity.”

Looks like they'll be OK.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

In Canada he gets 40M, that is the post tax amount. Basically all lottery winnings in Canada is the amount advertised, in lump sum. None of the annuity bullshit.

Actually, in the US, if he were donating it he should be able to deduct it from his taxes and thus get the whole amount.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Thats awesome. I hope he will be giving to proper charities and not the ones where the CEOs all make 100k+ though. May be a large sum but still want it to be used efficiently.

Good for him though, that is a tough decision to make. It would be very tempting to just keep it all.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

I would personally suggest you stop being mad and look into this first.

You are very wrong except perhaps his kids would love it.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I'm sure charity will take MOST of that money and small portion will go where he really wants it to go.

Charity = business

Ya, this is all I could think of. Great intent by the guy who won, but...

Last edited:

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
I'm glad he chose to do this. A lot of charity CEOs are finding it hard to keep the heating on in their second and third homes let alone splash out of necessities like expensive jewelery for the secretaries they are trying to bone.