Bravo to McCain. Says that Baghdad is safe and actually goes for a 1hr walk through a market!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: tangent1138

he needlessly endangered soldiers' lives to make a political statement.

that disappoints me. luckily no one was injured.

Sounds like presidential material to me.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Originally posted by: tangent1138

he needlessly endangered soldiers' lives to make a political statement.

that disappoints me. luckily no one was injured.

Sounds like presidential material to me.

I got an idea. Why dont you take JediYoda with you to Baghdad and take a walk waiving an US flag and a t-shirt saying "I love George Bush, he is the best person in the world."

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: VooDooAddict
I was interested to learn more about McCain when he first stood up to the administration on issues regarding torture and the Geneva convention. Unfortunatly, he folded on the issue. This is just one more reason why I'm uninterested in a McCain '08 ticket.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really don't know how much we can blame McCain for basically folding on the issue.

A. McCain has been one the very few voices in the Republican party to dare speak out on torture and campaign finance. And sadly, McCain did not win much republican or democratic support.

B. While it would have been better to see reform come in the form of legislation McCain sponsored, once the long republican knives came out, its was apparent to all that the legislation would not emerge until all teeth were cut out and the the bill was castrated.
McCain could have cried foul, it still was not going to prevent the castration, and worse yet
it would deny McCain any chance of becoming President and having a real shot of making those laws his legacy. It may be easy to make the surface case that McCain did the unethical thing by taking the politically expedient of doing nothing while his legislation was being raped, but as I look deeper it does not look as easy to so conclude.

And one of those acid tests of pander---you don't see McCain going on talk shows and claiming he won on either torture or campaign finance.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I think McCain would have been if he had 'streets that the average Iraqi can walk down safely' and gotten away with it.

But let's face it, no one in the military is going to let a Senator and possible President walk down any street without enough cover to make sure he is safe.

according to McCain, General Pretreus travels "almost ever day in a non-armed Humvee."
McCain is losing his marbles..
The old man is kissing up to George W. Bush so much, he is losing it.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
He's been a senator for too long if he thinks anybody is going to buy this BS.

To say he is "out of touch" would be an understatment.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I'd be more impressed if it was Cheney who did it at a fast jog smoking a cigarette and eating a Big Mac.

I'd be more impressed if the asshat made it before he had a heart attack. I don't think he has walked that far.... To be honest, I'm surprised McCain made it... He looks like he is going to slump over any minute.

But, I'm sure glad that Baghdad is NOW safe! What a relief!

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Yet if Obama or Clinton did such a thing we'd applaud them for the act :roll:

Good for McCain. While I may not agree with his foreign policy, the man's taken a lot of measures to show his willingness towards other countries, which is a hell of a lot more than any Democrat is doing right now.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic

Good for McCain. While I may not agree with his foreign policy, the man's taken a lot of measures to show his willingness towards other countries, which is a hell of a lot more than any Democrat is doing right now.

You do realize this post was from 1 year ago, right?

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
McCain has both of his boys in the service. I truly wish that, like every other of our soldiers, they stay safe and sound.

However, would McCain let his sons walk the walk he walked without the protection he received. I think that his allowing his offspring to "tour" an Iraqi market is a perfectly fair test of how "we're progressing in Iraq GO USA!"

McCain had cut off his own balls by shaking hand with GWB repeatedly after the 2000 election debacle. I'm sorry, "maaaaan." I would have punched The Monkey in the gut if I were in McCain's position.

Great job, Senator McCain. You had a lovely time shopping in Iraq. The day after you leave, chances are that 50 people will get blown up at the same "wholesome" market you visited.

LEAVE. NOW. LET THE BROWN PEOPLE FIGURE OUT THEIR OWN PROBLEMS.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001

Nope, I'd be pissed at them too. A bullshit act is a bullshit act, regardless of who does it.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

No.. I would think lying propaganda masters are exactly what America deserves

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
so there's mccain sitting around watching hillary and obama tearing each other's hair out on tv, while thrumping his fingers on his desk and doing wheelies and doughnuts sitting in that overstuffed executive chair of his and all of a sudden the light bulb pops up over is head....."hey! i could do a half-ass version of bush's "mission accomplished" carrier landing by strolling down the streets of baghdad proclaiming the same thing.....only different."

"geez, i gott'a get a-hold 'a bush, an' karl, an' rumsy an' whoever else did that swiftboat thingy on me back in 2000 and see if i can swing on over there lickity-split an' get my face back in the news."..... "the wife will understand".

i'd like to see him do it at midnight on a moonless night, accompanied only by his family, all unarmed with bunches of hundred dollar bills taped to their backs and chests holding up big "mission accomplished" placards over their heads and loudly proclaiming in english that the streets of baghdad are safe for all, sort'a like what bruce willis did in one of his die hard movies....only different.

and if they all make it through the night unscathed, then i'd tend to agree with him....sort of....a little.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Martin
link.

Well, he certainly proved us wrong!

Now if only every single Iraqi could get 100 troops and 5 helicopters like he did, then Iraq would indeed be safe. :roll:

How much security would Mr Bush get if he walked in a farmer's market in say Columbus OH?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
link.

Now if only every single Iraqi could get 100 troops and 5 helicopters like he did, then Iraq would indeed be safe. :roll:

How much security would Mr Bush get if he walked in a farmer's market in say Columbus OH?

SENATOR McCain....

Ask how much some random Senator would get

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: dahunan
link.

SENATOR McCain....

McCain is the presumptive GOP nominee for US President.

I was looking for a comparitve situation, how much security would the secret service use for Mr Bush in a safe area?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
link.

SENATOR McCain....

I was looking for a comparitve situation, how much security would the secret service use for Mr Bush in a safe area?

Its cool.. but really .. what purpose does his visit serve over there.. did he put soldiers lives at risk? and if yes.. then was it worth it? He was a Senator from some small state at the time

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
link.

SENATOR McCain....

Its cool.. but really .. what purpose does his visit serve over there.. did he put soldiers lives at risk? and if yes.. then was it worth it? He was a Senator from some small state at the time

he's the ranking minority member of the senate armed services committee, charged with, to quote wiki, legislative oversight of the nation's military, including the Department of Defense, military research and development, nuclear energy (as pertaining to national security), benefits for members of the military, the Selective Service System and other matters related to defense policy.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Walking down Baghdad is like walking down a marketplace in Indiana during the summer, everyone knows that!