Brattleboro, Vermont votes to arrest Bush and Cheney.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: bamacre
They are wet, but it is a thinner, spicier sauce.
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/mjr_toker/cc_ribs.jpg

I do like dry ribs, but these are the best I've ever had.

They also have a BBQ Cornish Hen which is succulent.

Damn those look good. Juicy... *drool*

And yeah, back on topic, if Vermont liberalism were more widely understood as being the real liberalism, no one here would doubt that I am a liberal. Oregon liberalism is very similar BTW. Yet another reason why we don't much care for Californians (any more than they like Massachusetts-eans or however you say it).

I believe the correct pronunciation is massholes.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: smack Down

And yeah, back on topic, if Vermont liberalism were more widely understood as being the real liberalism, no one here would doubt that I am a liberal. Oregon liberalism is very similar BTW. Yet another reason why we don't much care for Californians (any more than they like Massachusetts-eans or however you say it).

Actually most people pronounce it taxachusettes.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Somewhat related to this, wasn't Vermont voting for secession last year? What happened with that? And when they secede, can NYC join?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

It would be neat to watch the Brattleboro police handcuff the President and Vice-President and to then watch the secret service and the military slaughter the Brattleboro police. He oughta go visit Brattleboro just to dare them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matter of fact, I was thinking along those same lines. The jurisdiction of the Brattleboro police can't be all that large and their reach is probably even smaller. As long as GWB does not tempt fate by going to Brattleboro, it will end up a Mexican standoff.

And luckily for GWB, all roads to Kennebunkport do not go through Brattleboro.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Ok, I need to seriously consider moving there.

I wouldn't, besides known for its maple syrup and, soft ice cream Vermont is also known as the ?pedophile? state as they are the softest state in the union on pedophilia, they practically welcome them with open arms.

It is probably the only state in the Union where there are plenty of males but you would be hard pressed to find a ?man? among them.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: techs

You're confusing terms. Massholes are the people that live in the state taxachusettes.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Sadly, WCAX recently did a poll (it was only of 400 people, so who the hell knows?) and a small majority were in favor of more gun control.

Honestly, Vermont is so overrun with people fleeing other states a lot of its core traditions are diluted. So I wouldn't be so quick to think its some utopia of rights. I kind of think the only reason a lot of people aren't calling for gun control around here is they weren't aware of our laws to begin with. I know I was the one of only a few of my coworkers that wasn't shocked when it was revealed that CC had no restrictions in VT. One of them even remarked "I don't feel so safe anymore!" as if one of the lowest crime rates in the nation was some how, all of sudden, invalidated by the lack of guns restrictions that have been around for hundreds of years. Obviously, a logical brain would conclude that if nothing else...gun laws do not have a signifigant effect on crime rates. It could be taken a step further of course and said that lack of gun laws reduces crime.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

It would be neat to watch the Brattleboro police handcuff the President and Vice-President and to then watch the secret service and the military slaughter the Brattleboro police. He oughta go visit Brattleboro just to dare them.

I'd pay to watch that. :D

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Sadly, WCAX recently did a poll (it was only of 400 people, so who the hell knows?) and a small majority were in favor of more gun control.

Honestly, Vermont is so overrun with people fleeing other states a lot of its core traditions are diluted. So I wouldn't be so quick to think its some utopia of rights. I kind of think the only reason a lot of people aren't calling for gun control around here is they weren't aware of our laws to begin with. I know I was the one of only a few of my coworkers that wasn't shocked when it was revealed that CC had no restrictions in VT. One of them even remarked "I don't feel so safe anymore!" as if one of the lowest crime rates in the nation was some how, all of sudden, invalidated by the lack of guns restrictions that have been around for hundreds of years. Obviously, a logical brain would conclude that if nothing else...gun laws do not have a signifigant effect on crime rates. It could be taken a step further of course and said that lack of gun laws reduces crime.

When I lived in VT, I had 6 handguns and ammo under my coat when I went out on a frozen lake to do some plinking. I looked like a cross between a lumberjack and Neo. I don't recall shooting anyone.

I think people have the wrong impression in general about VT. Vermonters are really quite conservative in their views, in that they aren't social activists. IBM moved to Burlington, which is the largest city and with them came the "flatlanders" which were largely CA liberals. Now the majority of the population resides in one county and that controls VT politics. The old natives have been displaced.

"Real" Vermonters have a saying. "Burlington is nice because it's so close to Vermont" :p

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I've never been quite sure why its called taxachusetts, according to most places it's around the middle, according to some it's not even in the top half.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: PingSpike

You're confusing terms. Massholes are the people that live in the state taxachusettes.
D'oh!

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: Mursilis
"Shall the Selectboard instruct the Town Attorney to draft indictments against President Bush and Vice President Cheney for crimes against our Constitution, and publish said indictments for consideration by other authorities and shall it be the law of the Town of Brattleboro that the Brattleboro Police, pursuant to the above-mentioned indictments, arrest and detain George Bush and Richard Cheney in Brattleboro if they are not duly impeached, and prosecute or extradite them to other authorities that may reasonably contend to prosecute them?""

Boy, I was all set to post some smartaleck comment about those wacky Vermonters having some nerve complaining about "crimes against our Constitution" when they only enforce it themselves peice-meal, but then I find they've got some of the least restrictive gun laws in the country (much to the chagrin of the Brady Center, which only gave them a 9/100). For example, their concealed-carry law was summarized as such:

State law allows anyone who can buy a gun to carry it loaded and concealed in public. No police permit or police notification is required to carry loaded guns hidden on a person. No training in gun laws or gun safety is required. Vermont is the only state in the country to have such a lax approach to the carrying of loaded, concealed weapons in public.

Wow. At least they're 2nd Amendment-friendly up there. A tip of the hat to Vermont.

Well you don't actually BELIEVE conservative stereotypes of liberals, do you? Just because "Vermont" fits neatly into a rant about "sushi eating, latte drinking, Volvo driving liberals" doesn't mean it's not just a bunch of BS.

Vermonter's are real liberals. You mind your business, I'll mind mine, do whatever you want types. Unlicensed open and concealed carry, no laws regarding machine guns, short barrel rifles or shotguns, no marijuana enforcement, etc.

Good on Vermont. They are what freedom is all about.

If liberals thought about it more, Vermont liberalism would be more popular. Guns have been a terrible issue for liberals for a long time, gun control is not helping and it gives the right a HUGE wedge issue. And the stupid thing is, I think most liberals would be on board with gun rights if they really thought about it. I'm not sure you'd get a lot of them filling their basements with AR-15s or complaining about "sheeple" on Internet forums, but in terms of what people have a RIGHT to do (whether or not they exercise that right), I think gun rights (and self defense rights) and liberal ideology really go hand in hand. After all, lefties are the ones generally in favor of civil liberties and individual rights, this exception for gun ownership has been an odd exception for far too long.

The ACLU does defend gun rights, BTW.