Brass instruments

Minerva

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
The raspy sound of a baritone to the husky growl of the tuba; does the sound start from the player's lips smacking together pressed against the mouthpiece? Much like my PIA brother is doing making fake noises of "the wind from the south"? (we refrain from using the F word.) :Q

Happy New Year AT! :D

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Yes. You basically make a farting sound in the mouth piece to play.

Minerva

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Originally posted by: Savij
Yes. You basically make a farting sound in the mouth piece to play.

It's amazing how some plumbing and a horn can change that. With all the innovation I'm surprised nobody has made a horn for those windy moments. :Q

Then again maybe they already have.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
It's called "buzzing" your lips. Pucker your lips and blow... that's basically what creates the sound out of a brass instrument. Vary the pressure of your lips and the amount of air to change the pitch.

Minerva

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
It's called "buzzing" your lips. Pucker your lips and blow... that's basically what creates the sound out of a brass instrument. Vary the pressure of your lips and the amount of air to change the pitch.

Right this is how a bugle is played since it has no valves. Easier said than done!

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Minerva
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21

Right this is how a bugle is played since it has no valves. Easier said than done!

I'm not saying it's simple. If it was, everyone would be able to play trumpet like Louis Armstrong. :)