Question Brand new Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB not working. Possible DOA?

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
After waiting for six months, Samsung eventually released the 970 Evo Plus 2TB. Bought it on the day it was released and it looks like it is DOA.

I put it inside a Adwis USB 3.1 SSD enclosure (which I know is working) and connected it to a laptop. Did not show up in Windows when I clicked on PC. Tried different computer and different cable. Same thing.

I went to disk management of my laptop. Both internal Samsung 1TB and JMicron Tech SCSI Disk Device are listed. When I clicked on the JMicron Tech icon, under disk type, it states disk drive. Under manufacturer, it just list standard drive rather than Samsung. It is in Bus Number 0, Target id 0, LUN 0. Under the volumn tab, everything is empty. Even Samsung's own Data Migration software cannot recognize the SSD.

I have used Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, 2TB, 970 Evo Plus 1TB. All work right out of the box. This time it is very unusual. Is the drive DOA?

Could it be that the delayed shipment by 2 months be due to some issues with the 2TB version of the 970 Evo Plus? Mine was made in Korea on April 30.

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
You say that the other Samsung drives you list were shown in disk management when connected to the same enclosure ? Were the drives mentioned specifically or just the enclosure ?

Do you have any idea why a JMicron item is listed ? You have not mentioned such an item.

The absence of BUS info is appropriate since NVMe devices are not connected there. (Not AHCI devices).

If this drive does not respond to enumeration identically to the previous Samsung drives then I think it may be doa and should be returned under warranty. As a test here though, perhaps just for fun, install it as an internal hard drive and see whether it works from there.
EDIT
It now occurs to me the notebook may not have an M.2 slot so my last suggestion will be of no use.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The 970 EVO is a NVMe drive.
I hear at best external NVme enclosures all are picky and finicky at best.

Did you try plugging the drive directly to your PC using NVme port?